Michigan Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:23:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Michigan Primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Michigan GOP Primary
Mike Cox

Mike Bouchard

Tom George

Pete Hoekstra

Rick Snyder

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Michigan Primary  (Read 8334 times)
The Chairman
Davidj1161
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »

No, I guess we just have to wait for the news at 11.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 04:24:45 PM »

No, I guess we just have to wait for the news at 11.

Here's a link that will post them live around the time the polls close at 8 pm:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/generic/news/politics/2010-Michigan-Primary-Electio
The Chairman
Davidj1161
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »

Thanks, greatly appreciated.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 05:04:17 PM »

Well, more directly: http://miboecfr.nictusa.com/election/results/10PRI/
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 05:43:29 PM »

personally I think the other one is a bit cleaner
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »

with 6% in

Snyder - 35%

Hoekstra - 28%

Cox - 26%

Bouchard - 9%

George - 2%

Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »

http://elections.nytimes.com/2010/governor/michigan
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2010/by_state/MI_Page_0803.html?SITE=MIDTFELN&SECTION=POLITICS

Geez...I would've bet the house that Hoekstra was going to win. Snyder put together a really good campaign, and I didn't think he stood a chance eight months ago.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »

with 15% Snyder widens his lead. Tough Nerd FTW!

Snyder - 36%

Hoekstra - 27%

Cox - 25%

Bouchard - 10%

George - 2%
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/elections/Bernero-tops-Dillon-in-primary-race

Wow, that was early.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »

I'm so pissed off right now - Snyder is a terrible candidate who will kill the Republican party.  If he wins - I'm gonna go crazy tonight.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 08:49:38 PM »

A local station has declared him the winner - The MI GOP has yet again killed it's chances at what should've been an easy win in November.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »

I'm glad Bernero overcame the primary. I always supported him, just never thought he'd make it so I wasn't too enthusiastic.

Although, I say that, but does anyone else feel it being called for him is a little too pre-mature at the moment?
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2010, 09:42:57 PM by redcommander »

I'm so pissed off right now - Snyder is a terrible candidate who will kill the Republican party.  If he wins - I'm gonna go crazy tonight.

Tell me about it, all the more reason for every state to adopt run-offs in primaries. He won with only 37% of the vote. That is absolutely absurd. Tongue I guess I'm supporting Bernero.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 09:52:01 PM »

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »

Pretty strong victory in my book.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »

I'm so pissed off right now - Snyder is a terrible candidate who will kill the Republican party.  If he wins - I'm gonna go crazy tonight.

Tell me about it, all the more reason for every state to adopt run-offs in primaries. He won with only 37% of the vote. That is absolutely absurd. Tongue I guess I'm supporting Bernero.

Why would you "Support" a Democrat? Huh
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 01:20:21 AM »

Why not? I might support Romanoff or Bennett if Buck wins. I'm already for Reid, Melancon, and Lincoln. Certain Republicans I don't like or won't support because of their policies or associations with the fringe. I probably won't support Bernero now after reading some more about him, but I'm just disappointed Snyder won. Maybe he will be an ok candidate I don't know, but he wasn't the greatest person for the job in my opinion. This nation needs to be less polarized along party lines. I don't care if you have a D or R next to your name, if you are going to be a better representative for the citizens of your state and the nation than I will support you.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 01:26:58 AM »

Why not? I might support Romanoff or Bennett if Buck wins. I'm already for Reid, Melancon, and Lincoln. Certain Republicans I don't like or won't support because of their policies or associations with the fringe. I probably won't support Bernero now after reading some more about him, but I'm just disappointed Snyder won. Maybe he will be an ok candidate I don't know, but he wasn't the greatest person for the job in my opinion. This nation needs to be less polarized along party lines. I don't care if you have a D or R next to your name, if you are going to be a better representative for the citizens of your state and the nation than I will support you.

Well, I just fail to see why someone would want/need to be for the opposite party, rather than just against their own candidate.

For example, if there are any epic fail candidates in Mass (there aren't any that I know of, all of the candidates I've met in person are great) I'd just vote Libertarian.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 03:12:01 AM »

Well, I just fail to see why someone would want/need to be for the opposite party, rather than just against their own candidate.

For example, if there are any epic fail candidates in Mass (there aren't any that I know of, all of the candidates I've met in person are great) I'd just vote Libertarian.

Well that works too, but voting for the Dem could actually swing a race though. There aren't any competitive registered Libertarian candidates out there.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2010, 04:00:46 AM »

If there is any such thing as true scum, it's the politicians that are elected in Michigan. Anyways, I don't see how this jeaprodizes the GOP's chances. Sure, Cox and Hoekstra were stronger and safer candidates, but I can't find anything particularly annoying that will stop Snyder from cruising to victory.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you consider yourself a "moderate," correct? Snyder is considered the most moderate of the GOP contenders, and a lot of teabagger types consider him a RINO.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

No way. Though it's a little more difficult to determine exactly where he stands on the policy spectrum (due to the fact that he doesn't have a voting record), he has--by far--more room to expand on crossover support than either Pete Hoekstra or Mike Cox.

Hoekstra is an excellent fit for his Congressional District (I used to live there, and he remains popular)--he's Dutch and extremely conservative, just as his successor is going to be. However, MI-02 is hardly a microcosm of Michigan as a whole. And Mike Cox was trying to run to the right of him. What are the chances that either would have garnered much crossover support in the general?

If the Michigan Republican Party really wanted to give a hard-right conservative the nomination, they would have encouraged one or the other to sit this election out--so that conservative support wasn't split between the two.

By the way, it's interesting that Hoekstra barely won anything outside of his home district.
Obscure
Rookie
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »

Well it looks like the nerd is our next governor. Bernero is a joke and everyone knows it. We all know how well he handled Lansing. I can't even imagine why so many Democrats supported him. I know Dillon wouldn't have won either but he would have had a better chance because of his somewhat centrist policies. But the fact is it's between a moderate and a liberal. And this time the moderate will prevail.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »

My long-time Democratic friend texted me saying he voted for Snyder and will vote for him in November.

Maybe he'll prevail, but I think this'll be a repeat of 2006, with a businessman getting slammed by the things he did in his company.

My biggest problem with Snyder is that he's thrown the MI GOP under the bus before, slamming many Republicans across the state.  I don't think he's a team player, and the fact that he gave money to John Dingell troubles me.

A lot of College Republicans backed him because it was "the cool thing to do," and I honestly don't think most of them know a lot about what he wants to do.

Economically, he's a fine person, but he's a social moderate, and we got lucky that Andy Dillon didn't get the Democratic nomination.  Moderate pro-life Democrat vs. kinda pro-life Republican would've meant we got hammered in November.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2010, 04:43:43 PM »

My long-time Democratic friend texted me saying he voted for Snyder and will vote for him in November.

Maybe he'll prevail, but I think this'll be a repeat of 2006, with a businessman getting slammed by the things he did in his company.

Dick DeVos' campaign suffered from a couple of road bumps. First, 2006 was a very good year for Democrats across the country. The second was his not-so-mainstream social policy beliefs. It was a tight race for months, until he started talking about how he wanted creationism taught in schools. The third, of course, was Amway, which definitely hasn't gone without is share of criticism.

Honestly, DeVos ran a hideous campaign, illustrated by the fact that he had trouble winning a simple majority in his home county: http://miboecfr.nictusa.com/election/results/06GEN/02000000.html

Thus far though, Snyder has run a very good campaign, in my opinion. He has been advertising heavily since February, he has built his name recognition, yet has avoided becoming old news. We'll see how Bernero's campaign uses Gateway in their attack ads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies