Open Topic....2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:44:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Open Topic....2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Open Topic....2008  (Read 16548 times)
zachman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2004, 07:29:24 PM »

My thoughts:
I'm hoping right now for Mark Warner to win. He is a governor and that will continue to be an advantage as Bush will set up trap votes for the congress. I would however like Jim Nelson to be VP.

For the Republicans:

It is clear that Bill Frist has Presidential ambitions. He will get slewn in NH to a Romney (who will be voted out of office in 2006) type and the Republicans will start the process of getting rid of NH as the first in the nation primary and NH will move to the political status of Maine.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2004, 07:36:23 PM »

Warner would lose his home state. I don't see him running for president. If he runs for the U.S. Senate, he'll lose.

New Hampshire doesn't like tax-and-spend liberals. I think these people wanted deadlock more than anything else.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2004, 09:01:20 PM »

Romney will win in 06, and if he doesn't, his Prez ambitions are over.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2004, 09:02:33 PM »

I agree. I'm not sure he'll win, but I mean on the second part.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2004, 09:41:33 PM »

The Republicans should be grooming a Latino/Latina V.P. candidate for 2008.  Exit polls have shown that Republicans have done much better with Hispanic voters this time but they need to do more.  Demographics are clear that the white population is shrinking in proportion.  The Republicans have failed to make any inroads in the balck community and we cannot let that happen with the hispanic poulation.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2004, 10:34:13 PM »

Any ideas on a specific person Patrick?  I can't think of one offhand.  Maybe Mel Martinez but he'll only be in the Senate for 4 years by 2008.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2004, 10:47:28 PM »

Any ideas on a specific person Patrick?  I can't think of one offhand.  Maybe Mel Martinez but he'll only be in the Senate for 4 years by 2008.

No one really comes to mind and I think that is a problem.  There are just not that many Hispanic Republicans in prominent positions.  Henry Bonilla is one.  Republicans have been making efforts and in-roads and they should continue. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2004, 10:52:32 PM »

Martinez was born in Cuba; he isn't eligible.

No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2004, 11:02:22 PM »

I didn't know he was born there, thanks for pointing that out J.J.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2004, 11:04:30 PM »

Wasn't Cuba a U.S. territory for a while?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2004, 11:40:14 PM »

Wasn't Cuba a U.S. territory for a while?

Following the Spanish-American war in 1898, the US occupied the country of Cuba until the US turned over control in 1902.  In 1903, the Cuban-American treaty set up the framework for relations between the two countries, including the ceding of Guantanamo Bay to the US as a military base to protect the island nation.

Just as throughout the history of the US, we turn over nations we occupy following the end of a war.  Just think, if we haven't, the US would also include nations such as the Philippines (I could actually use my Tagalog more) and Germany. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2004, 06:06:10 PM »

rarely does the early front runner actually win the nomination.  we should be focusing on the darkhorse candidates.

george allen is a real darkhorse that could be a very viable candidate in the republican primaries.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2004, 06:23:05 PM »

rarely does the early front runner actually win the nomination.  we should be focusing on the darkhorse candidates

Wrong. Howard Dean was the Democratic nominee this year, and it was like a horrific slow-motion repeat of 1972... ;-)

Seriously now... you're right about that. I like the idea of President Finegold... probably a pipe dream though :-(
Chicago103

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2004, 04:18:17 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would be willing to bet serious money that not only will Guiliani run, but that he will change his position on abortion within the next four years.

Guiliani already changed his position on abortion.  Early on in his career when he was considering running for mayor he wanted to overturn roe vs. wade and was pretty pro-life.  Of course being mayor of a big city it doesnt really matter what ones position on abortion is.  However once Rudy started running for the Senate he changed his position on abortion and became pro-choice because he didnt want Hillary to take away votes from him.  I think he might make a compromise with abortion such as supporting a partial birth abortion ban yet still supporting some abortions.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2004, 04:57:40 AM »

1) all Gop candidates seem better (for me) than W. But maybe less effective to attract the Gop base, the decisive factor in the last election.

2)Cheney was not a better VP than Edwards. The fact is the VP doesn't count (for this election).

3)For the dem ticket, my wish goes to Edwards/clinton or Edwards/Dean (the best ticket for this year). But latinos are important and I am considering a "latino candidate" on the ticket: Rochardson has the lead but why not Salazar? or a new senator 06? (hence Edwards/richardson)

Moreover, Obama on the ticket would seem good to mobilize the black people but I think that he will have the same problem than Edwards: he will be attached.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2004, 05:16:56 AM »

Harry Reid is a possibility on the Democratic side.  If, as minority leader, he can pull strings and get party activists on his side, he could take Iowa.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2004, 07:59:27 AM »

2)Cheney was not a better VP than Edwards. The fact is the VP doesn't count (for this election).

I guess that shots a hole in Shira's rant that Cheney was actually running the country for the last 4 years.  hahaha
Andrew
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2004, 01:50:41 PM »

Yeesh...a little early, eh?  I remember right after Al Gore conceded in 2000 that commentators immediately began talking about who was going to run in 2004.  John Kerry was nowhere on their radars.

"Among the Democrats who have been mentioned as possible candidates in 2004 are Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, Mr. Gore's running mate, and Senators John Edwards of North Carolina, John Kerry of Massachusetts, Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Biden, Mr. Gephardt, Mr. Daschle, Gov. Gray Davis of California, and Gov. Tom Vilsack of Iowa.

"And no one seems to be ruling out Mr. Gore."

--The New York Times, Dec. 17, 2000
Shira

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »

LIKELY RUNNERS

George Pataki
Rudy Giuliani
Mitt Romney

TICKET I WANT::::

Giuliani/Rice

The Religious Right will never approve Giuliani
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2004, 02:29:46 PM »

Al Gore could pull a Nixon and run again in 2008. I don't see him winning the nomination, though.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 03:50:28 AM »

LIKELY RUNNERS

George Pataki
Rudy Giuliani
Mitt Romney

Well your wishes have been completely fulfilled now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies