An American absurd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:43:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  An American absurd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: An American absurd  (Read 18204 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2004, 11:47:43 PM »

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Still, when you get down to the last percent or two, anything could make the difference, including which candidate is stronger on defending America from mind control rays from Mars. Smiley

Bush of course!!!

But would he protect us from Venusian radiation storms? Smiley
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2004, 11:48:43 PM »

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Still, when you get down to the last percent or two, anything could make the difference, including which candidate is stronger on defending America from mind control rays from Mars. Smiley

Bush of course!!!

Now you just sound like Nader....pfft....
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2004, 11:50:40 PM »

Bush of course!!!

Now you just sound like Nader....pfft....

Yeah, what with all the talk about the Venusian greenhouse effect and how we must stop global warming... Smiley
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2004, 11:52:42 PM »

I don't know about everyone else, but I for one am 100% in favor of global warming and I think we need to do whatever's necessary to speed it up.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2004, 11:56:26 PM »

I don't know about everyone else, but I for one am 100% in favor of global warming and I think we need to do whatever's necessary to speed it up.
In that case, 'stay the course' should work quite well as a policy. Wink
Shira

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2004, 01:08:52 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2004, 01:10:34 AM by Shira »

The people voting may want the society to be a certain way, and are willing to take an economic hit to make society that way.

willing?
They are totally unaware of the fact that they are going to take an economic hit. The bible already defined them many years ago.

"They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness"
Psalm (82:5)

J-Mann
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2004, 01:58:07 AM »

The people voting may want the society to be a certain way, and are willing to take an economic hit to make society that way.

willing?
They are totally unaware of the fact that they are going to take an economic hit. The bible already defined them many years ago.

"They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness"
Psalm (82:5)

Uhhhh...yeah, that Bible verse could pretty much be spun to apply to anyone or any group at any time at any place.  Seriously, Shira - I extend my invitation to you to come to Kansas.  Come on...visit me and spend some time with these red-staters.  Tell them to their faces that they're dumb and ignorant; just a bunch of stupid hicks who have no real values.  That seems a good plan for the Democrats...that'll win ya'll votes in 2008, I'm sure.
Shira

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2004, 02:40:59 AM »

Tell them to their faces that they're dumb and ignorant; just a bunch of stupid hicks who have no real values.  That seems a good plan for the Democrats...that'll win ya'll votes in 2008, I'm sure.

Not dumb not ignorant and not stupid hicks.
They are simply misinformed.
It is very sad that there are people who are angry about "Gay Marriage" and on the other hand sincerely believe that Sadam is responsible for 9/11.

struct310
Rookie

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2004, 02:53:32 AM »

Tell them to their faces that they're dumb and ignorant; just a bunch of stupid hicks who have no real values.  That seems a good plan for the Democrats...that'll win ya'll votes in 2008, I'm sure.

It is very sad that there are people who are angry about "Gay Marriage" and on the other hand sincerely believe that Sadam is responsible for 9/11.

Shira, and i say this respectfully, how is someone misinformed about gay marriage when their personal religion tells them directly in the bible is samesex relations are wrong.  Same with any of the sex oriented social issues.  And although you say they are not dumb not ignorant and not stupid hicks, a majority of the left believes they are and hates them. I have been called a bigot by so many people because of my just being republican.  In school, a girl in class at ASU while in a group with me, not even knowing im republican, says "I cant believe how many republicans are at this school.  They disgust me."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2004, 02:54:10 AM »

People earning less than $40,000 with no healthcare with no any proper education voting for Bush  because of “Moral Values”

America is full of fools - or rather, Americas percentage of utter fools is somewhat higher than in civilized countries.  This is attributable to the deleterious effect of religion on higher brain function.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2004, 02:56:03 AM »

Shira, and i say this respectfully, how is someone misinformed about gay marriage when their personal religion tells them directly in the bible is samesex relations are wrong.  Same with any of the sex oriented social issues.  And although you say they are not dumb not ignorant and not stupid hicks, a majority of the left believes they are and hates them. I have been called a bigot by so many people because of my just being republican.  In school, a girl in class at ASU while in a group with me, not even knowing im republican, says "I cant believe how many republicans are at this school.  They disgust me."

Well, you should get used to this reaction - you are disgustingly intolerant.
Shira

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2004, 03:08:21 AM »

The problem was the attampt to explicitly legislate that marriage is between a man and woman. It was a cynical calculated step to make it a big issue in order to trigger the religious innocent people.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2004, 03:10:07 AM »

The problem was the attampt to explicitly legislate that marriage is between a man and woman. It was a cynical calculated step to make it a big issue in order to trigger the religious innocent people.

The religious are not innocent.  They are the enemy!
Shira

« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2004, 03:17:26 AM »

I mean naďve.
Most of them are manipulated
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2004, 03:35:41 AM »

On the bright side, for me there are certain benefits in the self-impoverishment of the bottom 90% of Americans.  No need for long flights to the Third World. Wink
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2004, 04:05:15 AM »

shira, bush and republicans didnt start the gay marriage controversy, gavin newsom in san francisco and the massachusetts supreme court did when they went over peoples heads to force it in the states.  people naturally wanted to make a statement on how they felt about it and bush echoed the sentiments of the people, bush has never said he supported the ban out of personal belief, but to curb activist judges who would go over the majority will of the people
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2004, 04:08:00 AM »

shira, bush and republicans didnt start the gay marriage controversy, gavin newsom in san francisco and the massachusetts supreme court did when they went over peoples heads to force it in the states.  people naturally wanted to make a statement on how they felt about it and bush echoed the sentiments of the people, bush has never said he supported the ban out of personal belief, but to curb activist judges who would go over the majority will of the people

He backed it to win re-election, retain power, and fulfill his function, which is to defend wealth.  However in all fairness I'm sure he genuinely hates gays as well.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2004, 08:19:29 AM »

Why are they misinformed?

Oh, right.  Because they don't agree with you.

So does that mean I think you're misinformed, Shira?  Actually, it doesn't.  I can disagree with you about any number of issues and still respect your right to have them and your intellect for choosing your side. 

Too many Democrats have an inability to do the same.  If someone disagrees, they're "misinformed" or they've been "misled".  I don't think you understand how condescending that is. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2004, 08:23:28 AM »

Shira, I wonder how often you get out and talk to us red-staters or the common, uninsured, uneducated man on the street?  Do you?  I do.  They're better informed than you might think, and they actually know what they stand for.  They probably couldn't defend themselves in a debate against some high-minded liberal intellectual, but that's not the point.  Their vote is their own, and they aren't near as dumb as you like to think they are.

You have offended me - and thus many fellow Kansans - to the Nth degree.

Tell me honestly, do you know, for example, that life expectancy in the US is by 4 years shorter than in Japan, by 3 years shorter than in Australia and Sweden, by 1.5 years shorter than in Germany and by 1 year shorter than in the UK ?
In general, life expectancy in the US is one of the shortest among developed countries, including a “developed” country like Jordan.

It seems to me that people like you don’t really understand the severity of these stats.

It's the law of averages, Shira.  We have more people than those places combined, so of course our averages are going to be lower. 

Yet another Shira statistical tangent in an attempt to prove some point in a losing argument.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2004, 10:09:53 AM »

still at it, eh boys and girls?

one subtle point:  the Newsom agenda was very different than the SJC decision.  In the first case, Californians had long since passed a referendum defining marriage as a bond between one woman and one man.  period.  Thus Newsom, the Mayor (an executive branch position), was breaking the law.  While I strongly support gay marriage rights, I think Newsom was a culprit.  He shirked the duty.  His is not to reason why, his is just to do or die.

The SJC, on the other hand, said simply that a law was non-compliant with the state's highest law:  its constitution.  Whether or not you agree with their decision, they were doing their jobs.  Don't like it?  Change the constitution.  In fact, that was their point.  They put the ball back in the court of Finnerman and the state leg.  No laws were broken in this case.  Very different than what Newsom, a lawbreaker, did.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2004, 11:03:27 AM »

The religious are not innocent.  They are the enemy!

Opebo, I'm sorry to say this, but I have to say it - you've become a demagogue. Worse yet you are a demagogue that believes his own propaganda, making you blind to reason. You have apparently lost your ability to objectively think about the problem - you vastly overgeneralize and you demonize, you are hateful and bitter. You are no better than the extreme religious types you preach against for those reasons, and for those reasons I cannot respect you anymore. Sorry, but I just can't respect a shrieking moonbat that froths at the mouth.
Shira

« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2004, 12:04:52 PM »

Shira, I wonder how often you get out and talk to us red-staters or the common, uninsured, uneducated man on the street?  Do you?  I do.  They're better informed than you might think, and they actually know what they stand for.  They probably couldn't defend themselves in a debate against some high-minded liberal intellectual, but that's not the point.  Their vote is their own, and they aren't near as dumb as you like to think they are.

Tell me honestly, do you know, for example, that life expectancy in the US is by 4 years shorter than in Japan, by 3 years shorter than in Australia and Sweden, by 1.5 years shorter than in Germany and by 1 year shorter than in the UK ?
In general, life expectancy in the US is one of the shortest among developed countries, including a “developed” country like Jordan.

It seems to me that people like you don’t really understand the severity of these stats.

It's the law of averages, Shira.  We have more people than those places combined, so of course our averages are going to be lower. 

Yet another Shira statistical tangent in an attempt to prove some point in a losing argument.
I am very sorry to say, but  it seems that you  don't understand what you are talking about.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2004, 12:07:45 PM »

I am very sorry to say, but  it seems that you  don't understand what you are talking about.

How exactly are you an expert on the subject?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2004, 12:13:08 PM »

How are lower income people going to take an economic hit from George Bush?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2004, 12:51:59 PM »

Will they take an economic hit? The tax cuts may be made permanent, so their taxes will be lower. Everyone got a tax cut, not just the rich.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies