Red Flag - please remove the sticky, thank you.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:47:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Red Flag - please remove the sticky, thank you.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Red Flag - please remove the sticky, thank you.  (Read 6921 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 01:47:38 PM »

Do we have a Game Moderator at all?

Oh wait, Al is the one! Mystery solved. No wonder this paper is dead!

I have issues in real life that happen to be taking up the bulk of my concentration at the moment; as you would know had you bothered to read any recent posts in this thread before complaining. A new issue (probably a fairly light one) will be out fairly soon. Obviously it would be nice to be able to always do at least one a week (the generic target) but doing this takes up a surprising amount of time and concentration there are such things as priorities. Not everyone has as much genuinely free time as you seem to have.

Except I'm not in an essential post to keep Atlasia game go on.

If we're criticizing MJ famous inactivity as MG, what to say about GM, someone far more instrumential?

MJ is just inactive and lazy about things. Al actually has an excuse of being busy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »

Do we have a Game Moderator at all?

Oh wait, Al is the one! Mystery solved. No wonder this paper is dead!

I have issues in real life that happen to be taking up the bulk of my concentration at the moment; as you would know had you bothered to read any recent posts in this thread before complaining. A new issue (probably a fairly light one) will be out fairly soon. Obviously it would be nice to be able to always do at least one a week (the generic target) but doing this takes up a surprising amount of time and concentration there are such things as priorities. Not everyone has as much genuinely free time as you seem to have.

Except I'm not in an essential post to keep Atlasia game go on.

If we're criticizing MJ famous inactivity as MG, what to say about GM, someone far more instrumential?

MJ is just inactive and lazy about things. Al actually has an excuse of being busy.

I really don't want to be an asshole now, but since GM job is essential for the game, maybe Al should consider, in a light of being busy in RL, stepping down temporary in favor of someone more active.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »

Fury as Atlasia fiddles while Pakistan drowns
Embassy firebombed

By our Special Reporter Damian Day

The failure of the Atlasian government to assist in aiding the victims of the ongoing catastrophe in the Indus Valley has provoked angry scenes across Pakistan, culminating in the firebombing of the Atlasian Embassy last night. The Pakistani government, under pressure due to its own slow reaction to the flooding, has refused to condemn the attack.
It is estimated that as many as twenty million people have been made homeless as a result of the floods, while thousands of people are feared dead. Health experts worry that the worst may be yet to come, as fears grow of a possible cholera epidemic, while the most fertile parts of Pakistan have been turned into a giant polluted lake. Yet Atlasia, the richest and most powerful nation on the planet, has not lifted a finger to aid the victims of what may prove to be the worst natural disaster in decades. It appears that the attention of the DEA is entirely given over to drawing up bureaucratic lists and lists of bureaucrats. Given the importance of Pakistan to Atlasia's 'War on Terrorism' this is not merely amoral as it is astonishingly incompetent. The damage caused by the floods will, in time, heal. The damage done to Atlasia's already battered reputation in Pakistan will, in this reporters opinion, not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2010, 02:56:46 PM by Sibboleth »

Back with a bang.

Edit: I do hope that someone gets the reference in the reporters name!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 03:05:04 PM »

K, I withdraw all objections.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »

I demand an expose criticizing my economic approach and alleging corruption on my part.

Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 06:08:54 PM »

I demand an expose criticizing my economic approach and alleging corruption on my part.

Tongue

You weren't corrupt, Dizzy, just misguided.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »

Unemployment Surges to 12%

By our Economics Editor M. Ammon

The news is as grim as we all expected. New figures released by the Department of the Interior show that over one in ten Atlasian workers are out of work. Regional figures have yet to be released, but they are likely to show a large leap in the jobless rate in metropolitan areas. The news, expected though it was, has increased fears of a double-dip recession and the ANSE fell to its lowest level in months on the release of the figures. DoI officials are keen to stress that the rise in unemployment is in part because of a new method of calculating unemployment, a claim unlikely to satisfy a weary public, a jittery market and an increasingly militant union movement.

News In Brief:

Evacuation of Bakersfield, CA begins.
Strike threat at Universal Motors.
Mayor of Albuquerque reported missing.
Elections fail to inspire electorate
Corruption scandal in Chicago, one hairpiece slightly damaged.
A potato that looks like Mike Naso

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »

I have an initial response to the unemployment figures here.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2010, 10:25:48 PM by Assemblyman Barnes »

If I may make a query, what where the previous unemployment numbers? Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:36 PM »

If I may make a query, what where the previous unemployment umbers? Smiley

You can find them in the Atlasia Dispatch-Herald thread, though you may want to consider these a fresh break given that they have been calculated in a different way than previous numbers.

Either way, 12% is unacceptably high.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »

Mayor of Albuquerque reported missing.
WMS strikes again! Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 12:06:29 AM »

Yay! Grin
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:05 AM »

This is the first I've heard about this, honestly. I think Al's trying to get me to pay attention to Atlasia again. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 10:56:48 AM »

If that was the plan it's half worked Tongue

But what is actually going on may be different to what has been presumed...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »

This is shaping up to be a very interesting journalistic team.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »

If that was the plan it's half worked Tongue

But what is actually going on may be different to what has been presumed...

Ha! I guess I'll lurk and follow this, then. Smiley

Well, yeah, the Mayor of Albuquerque (current) isn't likely to be on my hit list. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »

2.80 for this rag? O arglwydd, dyma gamwedd!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 02:22:48 PM »

Who else is going to die, o mighty Game Druid?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 12:15:16 PM »

Computer problems (on a backup again, bah) mean that the next full update will be delayed somewhat.

I may establish a newswire service so I can rattle off information quickly in situations like this.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »

This is the first I've heard about this, honestly. I think Al's trying to get me to pay attention to Atlasia again. Tongue

Did you read these from last year?

National News

BREAKING: Blasts Rock New Mexico; Source Not Yet Known
Eyewitness reports have informed the Office of the GM that explosions have erupted in the state of New Mexico. It is not yet clear how many bombs have gone off, nor has any group yet taken responsibility for the attacks.

There also seems to be growing evidence that members of the New Mexico National Guard, previously deactivated, have sealed the borders into the state.

Additional details will be provided as this matter unfolds.

National News

BREAKING: WMS Declares New Mexico Independence
Local news outlets in New Mexico are reporting that the attack from earlier today, in which a bomb tore through the Pacific Regional Government Offices in Albuquerque, New Mexico were orchestrated by the Revolutionary Army of New Mexico, previously believed to be defunct.

The attack has killed two and injured fifteen at the time of this report. Reports indicate that the potential attack was phoned in by an anonymous source fifteen minutes before the explosion, leading to the lower than expected casualty rate.

At the head of the RANM is suspected to be WMS, a former Senator for the Pacific region and Secretary of State, who has been in exile ever since his previous attempt to declare New Mexico independent of the Pacific and join it with the Midwest region nearly two years ago. It appears that since that time, WMS has gathered with a number of leaders from the earlier effort to form the RANM.

The group has described the attack as a "warning to the oppressive authorities of the Pacific" and declared that the borders of New Mexico have been sealed by the New Mexico National Guard, which has been activated for “security purposes.” In addition, RANM has made clear that all payments of tax revenues to the Pacific Government will cease immediately and toll roads will be established for all traffic to and from the Pacific.

It is not yet clear how President Lief will respond to this act of terror, nor how Al, who first reported WMS's return, may be implicated.

National News

Acting President Bacon King Prepares To Retake NM
Just a day after RANM forces bombed a Pacific Government Regional Office in New Mexico, acting President Bacon King has stepped up pressure to defeat the group and reassert Atlasian authority in the Pacific state.

Calling New Mexico "an indissoluble part of this country," acting President Bacon King ordered Atlasian force to prepare for a possible invasion to root out RANM forces and other sympathetic groups. However, Bacon King did not only threaten to exert the fist of Atlasia; in addition, the acting President has extended an offer of amnesty to any RANM forces that lay down their arms.

Already it has become apparent that some members of RANM, especially from the New Mexico National Guard, are taking up the acting President on his offer. In fact, there are reports that local police and national guard forces are cooperating to detain or kill commanders of the movement that have entered the state since yesterday.

In addition, residents of New Mexico that still support Pacific governance have begun hanging Pacific region flags out their windows in a show of solidarity.

It is not yet clear whether WMS, the mastermind of yesterday's attack, is in the country. An investigation may also be opened soon to determine what involvement recent presidential contender Al had with RANM and WMS.

National News

Federal Troops Advance Into New Mexico
Quickly assessing the situation in New Mexico, acting President Bacon King has ordered federal troops to advance into New Mexico to defeat the Revolutionary Army of New Mexico and reestablish Atlasian sovereignty over the state.

Using easily accessible highways and thruways, Atlasian forces have surrounded Albuquerque, where RANM appears to be based, and are preparing contingency operations to root out RANM's base of operations. Nex Mexican National Guard troops and local police have laid down their arms and are reported to be providing logistical support to the Atlasian military.

Meanwhile, some experts are questioning the use of federal troops without express permission of the Senate. However, sources within the administration argue that the sudden and pressing nature of the conflict require an immediate response and that no outright military actions have yet been taken.

National News

Atlasian Forces Begin To Retake Albuquerque
As promised, acting President Bacon King ordered the Atlasian military, which had been surrounding New Mexico's largest city, to enter the city and kill or detain RANM leaders cooped up within.

The offensive came after hours of leafletting by the military to alert any potential combatants of the amnesty initiative launched by the acting President. Throughout the day-long siege of New Mexico, streams of residents and a number of RANM militants exited the city, laying down their arms.

So far the Atlasian troops have met little resistance, although a few firefights have broken out as they move towards the West side of Albuquerque, where the majority of RANM forces are believed to be in hiding. There have been no casualties reported, while a number of militants have been killed so far.

National News

Atlasian Forces Clear Most Of Albuquerque
After a weekend of fighting in New Mexico's largest city, Atlasian forces have cleared almost 80 percent of the streets and buildings and are closing in on the RANM stronghold in the west of the city.

With continued support from President Lief, soldiers have systematically cleared portions of Albuquerque with relatively little resistance. At many points, RANM forces laid arms on the street, awaiting the arrival of Atlasian forces to surrender and ask for amnesty. In a few areas, brief fighting has broken out with staunch RANM forces, but it appears that the militants are poorly trained.

The Atlasian military is reporting that five soldiers have been killed and 32 wounded during the operation.

Now troops approach the more RANM-supporting areas of the city. There has been some talk of laying siege to the remaining areas, waiting out the RANM leadership. Others note that almost five hundred innocent civilians remain in that portion of the city, while others point to the massive stores of food and water that RANM was able to establish before their attack.

National News

RANM Defectors Leave Besieged Albuquerque

AP: Atlasian soldiers lead away members of RANM after the militants laid down their arms.

Atlasian forces have laid siege to a square mile in the Western side of Albuquerque as they seek to flush out RANM leaders holed up inside. The strategy, seeking to minimize military and civilian casualties, has so far seemed to work, as a steady stream of militant defectors have surrendered to Atlasian soldiers.

The choice for a more prolonged, yet cautious strategy comes on the heels of a less confrontational Atlasian government, which will soon need to begin considering how to restore the war-torn city at the heart of New Mexico. A collaborative effort by the federal and Pacific government is necessary to ease the return of residents to their homes, as well as ensure lasting security.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »

Computer problems (on a backup again, bah) mean that the next full update will be delayed somewhat.

I may establish a newswire service so I can rattle off information quickly in situations like this.

It hath become a vile pestilence, spreading like the plague among the computers of unsuspecting Atlasian citizens.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »

To Vepres: No, I hadn't read those...although it seems everyone got confused by the RANM seceding from the Pacific and conflated it with seceding from Atlasia. Typical. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:46 PM »

Yes, there was a bit of a mix-up in communication over that stuff. But I have worked out a way to use that to the advantage of creating storylines. That little snippet the other week was the beginning.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 09:54:12 AM »

2.5 weeks...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies