Electoral Reform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:07:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Electoral Reform
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should the process of electing the U.S. President be reformed, if so, how?
Does not need reform

National Popular Vote

Maine/Nebraska method

Some other reform (please explain w/post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Electoral Reform  (Read 5056 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:09:09 PM »

Discuss
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »

Wasn't an issue recently until the democrats didn't get their way. After running to the courts and losing their they've been in favor of changing the rules. The Electoral College is the American way so therefore anything else is unAmerican.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 09:33:56 PM »

Seems to me that if someone ever chose to bring a case, the current system of winner-take-all system of choosing Electors would be held to violate the same Constitutional principles that led to the one-man one-vote cases making wholesale changes in how State legislatures were elected during the 1960's.  Not that single-member districts for the Electoral College would inevitably result, but they would be the most likely result.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:25 PM »

None, but I could live with the Maine/Nebraska system.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:20:27 AM »

Wasn't an issue recently until the democrats didn't get their way. After running to the courts and losing their they've been in favor of changing the rules. The Electoral College is the American way so therefore anything else is unAmerican.

Actually, a majority of Americans supported abolishing the EC since the 1940s, I believe.

As for the question, no changes. The EC allows candidates to have a diverse geographical range of support, and thus prevents a candidate who does extraordinary well in one area (such as Cleveland in the South in 1888) and wins the PV as a result from winning the election if he doesn't have a broad enough geographic range of support.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:08:27 AM »

Proportional representation, parliamentary system, European style.  Also no Senate and a Bill of Economic Rights...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »

Proportional representation, parliamentary system, European style.  Also no Senate and a Bill of Economic Rights...

This ideally. But realistically, option 2.
Frink
Lafayette53
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -6.17

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:01:21 AM »

Ideally some kind of Proportional Representation or Instant Runoff Voting would be preferable, although I would like to keep the direct election of the President.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »

This ideally. But realistically, option 2.

I would strongly oppose any switch to a parliamentary system...or any type of party list PR.

I do favor a national popular vote though.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 11:44:28 AM »

Proportional representation (Additional Member) for the House. AV for the Senate.

Elect the president through run-offs, like the French.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »

Abolish the presidency.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »

Elections should be abolished, and Ron Paul should be made the Grand Dictator of the USA.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »

Actually, a majority of Americans supported abolishing the EC since the 1940s, I believe.

As for the question, no changes. The EC allows candidates to have a diverse geographical range of support, and thus prevents a candidate who does extraordinary well in one area (such as Cleveland in the South in 1888) and wins the PV as a result from winning the election if he doesn't have a broad enough geographic range of support.
Cleveland was popular throughout the country. He just had the misfortune of very narrowly losing a number of key Northern states (NY,IL,OH). This is, in fact, another drawback to the EC system. Elections are frequently decided by a very few voters in just a few states.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 11:33:49 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2010, 11:45:41 PM by Rochambeau »

Cleveland was popular throughout the country. He just had the misfortune of very narrowly losing a number of key Northern states (NY,IL,OH). This is, in fact, another drawback to the EC system. Elections are frequently decided by a very few voters in just a few states.

Still, Cleveland won several Southern states with 60+% of the vote. Harrison only won VT by 60+%. Thus, Cleveland won the PV primarily due to the fact that he did overwhelmingly well in one single area of the U.S.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 01:24:22 AM »

Still, Cleveland won several Southern states with 60+% of the vote. Harrison only won VT by 60+%. Thus, Cleveland won the PV primarily due to the fact that he did overwhelmingly well in one single area of the U.S.

Non sequitur.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »

I'd support this. Although I could stand keeping the Senate, as long as the Filibuster was eliminated. Wink

But, of course, the most realistic option in the National Popular Vote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 06:25:48 AM »

If you must have a powerful President, then there's no sane reason to have the President elected by anything other than a nationwide poll. A runoff provision makes sense in theory, but the reality of the American 'party' system means that it wouldn't really be needed.

More generally, I've become increasingly convinced that the main issue wrt electoral reform is compulsory voting; everything else isn't all that far from window dressing.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »

It's exciting to watch state-by-state returns on election nights, but the truth is in my opinion the only fair election is that of a popular vote.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »

No need for it. The 2000 election is just proof that the electoral college is possibly the greatest invention in the history of our country. In 2012, I hope the GOP candidate wins without the popular vote as well.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:44 AM »

The current system, to this Brit at least, is utter bonkers. It makes FPTP look democratic (which is clearly isn't).

A national vote, without converting to points or scores or votes, with a run-off for less than 50%. It would certainly bring interest to those States seen as "sure fire" bankers for either party, would challenge both main parties to make the election a genuinely nationwide event, and have democratic validity.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »

My ideal isn't realistic or even remotely popular but I'll list it any way.

I'd basically take the EV and just alter it so that states would have a slightly more even electoral vote. I like the idea behind how the senate functions in that each state has an equal say instead of everything being controlled by California or Texas. So I'd like to take it more in the direction of closer to an equal say. I'd still keep some amount from population, but I'd shift more in the other direction. I like more decentralized government, more done at the local level, and I like power spread out, so I prefer the power being spread out instead of dominated in a few majorly populated states. I prefer the same idea for state government too though. Of course this means less say per capita in urban areas than in rural areas, so no one likes it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 02:25:05 AM »

I'd basically take the EV and just alter it so that states would have a slightly more even electoral vote. I like the idea behind how the senate functions in that each state has an equal say instead of everything being controlled by California or Texas. So I'd like to take it more in the direction of closer to an equal say. I'd still keep some amount from population, but I'd shift more in the other direction. I like more decentralized government, more done at the local level, and I like power spread out, so I prefer the power being spread out instead of dominated in a few majorly populated states. I prefer the same idea for state government too though. Of course this means less say per capita in urban areas than in rural areas, so no one likes it.

Why do you hate people in urban areas?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2010, 04:05:50 AM by Lief »

Huh, I agree with Libertas on something, as far as abolishing the presidency goes. My perfect (democratic republican) system would be a unicameral legislature of some number of single-member constituencies, elected by IRV/AV.

But if we must keep the presidency, the electoral college absolutely has to stay, or else election coverage would be much less exciting.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 08:07:17 AM »

Why do you hate people in urban areas?

I don't hate people in urban areas. I just don't agree with representation based on population density, I prefer it based on geographical area for the most part. I like states to have a more equal say regardless of population.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »

Why? Fields don't vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies