Spectator & Society Journal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:34:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Spectator & Society Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Spectator & Society Journal  (Read 3984 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 05:20:04 PM »

I agree with the need for a unified right. Indeed, the reason I joined the DA (one of them) instead one of the two right-wing parties is that I was tired of dealing with the ineffective and fractured right.

Can't do it. As soon as it was revealed who "esle" agrees with you it would be assailed as corrupt and some of us as sell outs. It would end up costing us more then its worth.

Um, it's not that out-there of an idea...numerous people have independently come up with the same idea.

Hopefully fusion voting will at least allow some more cooperation between parties.

Tell that to Lenin and his Pravda. Tongue

Yes, I hope so as well.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »

I suppose when it comes down it, the thing that really got on my nerves was the way no one is genuine about all this. When I post, I'm posting as me. Marokai Blue. Herbie. A 19 year old from southeastern Ohio. I'm not playing a character in my personal interaction with people over subjective "consequences" that change from person to person, nor am I adopting a facade that runs contrary to my real attitude. I turn up the heat sometimes, but this me.

Wait? You're an anthropomorphic Volkswagen Beetle Shocked
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »

I suppose when it comes down it, the thing that really got on my nerves was the way no one is genuine about all this. When I post, I'm posting as me. Marokai Blue. Herbie. A 19 year old from southeastern Ohio. I'm not playing a character in my personal interaction with people over subjective "consequences" that change from person to person, nor am I adopting a facade that runs contrary to my real attitude. I turn up the heat sometimes, but this me.

Wait? You're an anthropomorphic Volkswagen Beetle Shocked

It's my first name. Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:22 AM »

I'm more than happy to answer any and all questions, as I hope my plethora of comments since taking office have shown. Marokai will be the loyal defender no matter what, but know now that I will always try to answer questions honestly and in as straightforward a way as possible.

I simply ask the many critics (which will wax and wane over the next few months) to avoid knee-jerk reactions and instead try to read my comments and discuss matters rationally. To get into a shouting match before I even have a chance to respond is just a waste of time for everyone involved.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »

Issue 2 out at the weekend Smiley

We will have;

- Our first interview
- What the Constitutional Convention means for Atlasia
- The first in our 'Bills That Failed' retrospective
- Full updates on Cabinet hearings
- Our first review of recently passed (and on the floor) legislation.

But first a comment from the Editor.

Atlasia and Asylum

Britain's new Supreme Court ruled that it was unfair and unjust to continue sending gay asylum seekers back to their home nation as they could 'conceal' their sexuality to avoid persecution. The Home Office in the past did not demand the same of those fleeing for religious or political belief. Lord Hope, presiding who read out the judgment, said: "To compel a homosexual person to pretend that his sexuality does not exist or suppress the behaviour by which to manifest itself is to deny him the fundamental right to be who he is." The Spectator and Society strongly welcomes this move.

We also believe that it is important that Atlasia has a strong policy on how we treat those seeking asylum to ensure that threatment is equal and fairhanded. We urge the Senate to consider implementing a much needed comprehensive asylum policy.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 03:25:05 PM »

Afleitch is officially my favorite Atlasian president of all time Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »

Oooh, I go on vacation and come back to find a neat, new paper! Kudos to you, afleitch!
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »

Well, he was a conservative in the Burkean sense I guess.

Considering he did next to nothing.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »

Name an accomplishment. Go ahead, just one.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »

Please folk, let's not veer off topic Smiley

And thank you Barnes; I'm enjoying writing again.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »

Please folk, let's not veer off topic Smiley

Cheesy
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Or explain to me how a "newbie" knows all about Afleitch's presidency.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 03:47:33 PM »

I don't, I just like this magazine concept and think that makes him a good president (this being Atlasia. Some RL libs have the same view of Carter)

Ok back on topic.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »

Or how a supposed 50-something stays up until at least 4am consistently.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »

I don't "stay up" til 4am, I wake up before 4am.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »

Take it to another thread please Smiley
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 04:07:41 PM »

Maybe he's really on the West Coast so it's only 1 AM there....
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »

Maybe he's really on the West Coast so it's only 1 AM there....

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »

I would support the implementation of a comprehensive asylum program for Atlasia. I hope the Senate considers one in this session.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 07:39:18 AM »

Issue 2.

News

President adresses concerns over appointment

Senate grillings of Cabinet posts continue however the President appears to have done enough to allay concerns over the ideology of his nominated Secretary of Internal Affairs. The Spectator and Society understands that the Secretary if confirmed will be bound to impliment the President's domestic agenda seeing an end to or constrainment of, the loose autonomy enjoyed by his predecessor.

EDITORIAL

Constitutional Convention- The task ahead

The main focus of the President's campaign was a plan to engage with the public over a proposed full scale change to the consitution. A full draft was put to the public. The Editor in a previous capacity strongly welcomed the proposal and has been involved in the previous aborted Convention and has been a strong supporter of game reform in the past. This journal also welcomes the campaign.

This is not however the first time a full developed draft has been put before the public as an alternative to the current set up. Previous attempts, including those spearheaded by the much missed Mr Wixted did not meet general approval; such is the peril of putting what can be very personal plans to the test of public opinion. Therefore the administration has a considerable amount of work to do, as will the Convention itself. Any balanced Convention must be a forum of popular and unpopular opinion. However the administration's plan combines robust reform with a continuation of the familiar and this is where it's strength lies. However the Convention itself should not be afraid to turn this plan on it's head after debate and discussion. Secondly it must report; even to affirm the status quo if it so wishes. Only then can it really close with 'closure.'

Interview with...Antonio V

Spectator and Society had the pleasure of interviewing Antonio on his hopes and fears for the future and his comments on current Atlasian politics.

What are your hopes, over the coming months for the new administration?

So far, I feel extremely confident about the ability of the new administration to successfully work to improve Atlasia. The main themes of the Purple State/Marokai Blue campaign - game reform, legislative cleanup, competence and pragmatism - give me many reasons to hope.

I hope that the new cabinet appointees, whatever their ideology is, will be able to bring interests and fun to the game. This is particularly the case for Al, who will have the difficult task to succeed to Purple State as Game Moderator.

I also hope that the upcoming Constitutional Convention, moved by the desire to improve and consolidate the Atlasian status more than of getting rid of the entire past, will succeed in its hard work. Every option has to be considered, but the ConCon members will also have to abandon some of their initial position in order to reach a consensus satisfying for everyone.

I hope that the bills that will be introduced by the executive will focus on trying to solve concrete problems, and that a trans-ideological consensus will be found about them. I think the new Senate will have to prove its ability to work for the common wealth by examining, debating, amending if necessary and finally passing the bills which aim to improve Atlasia. Reforming the government intervention will obviously be a priority, in order to make sure that the money Atlasian people pay through taxes are correctly spent to the benefit of all.

I finally hope that the administration, after keeping their promises, won't fall into inactivity, but will instead constantly find new proposals for the improvement of the game throughout their term.

Secondly, what are your fears?

The only fear I have about Atlasia in the light of recent events, is the lack of a mature, serene and honest debate. Right after the landslide victory which lead Purple State to the Presidency, I have experienced the disturbing feeling that an strong minority of Atlasian politicians, instead of discussing the administration's proposals and expressing disagreement, were merely interested in causing trouble to the administration as much as they could. So far, I feel worried by the behaviour of prominent politicians, who employ all their energy in trying to weaken the democratically elected leaders. Nobody among them seems remotely interested in discussing about policies, they merely throw void criticism based on any single decision taken by the administration. I find many similarities between this demagogic unrest and the American Tea Party movement, which is undermining debate in the USA.

Therefore, what I fear is that this group of ambitious and dishonest politicians will succeed in their efforts to destabilize the administration. However, this is highly unlikely. Purple State and Marokai blue are two of the most strong-willed Atlasians I know, they are both able to work restlessly for what they think to be the best for Atlasia, and they have the support of a majority of their citizens, who are too intellingent to be fooled by those teabaggers. However, they will probably prevent a real debate to emerge, and I think it's a pity.

Can you see any trends emerging in Atlasian politics?

Since I have been almost totally absent of Atlasian politics for the last four months, I would have some difficulties to analyze the short term political trends of this electoral cyle.

On a longer perspective, I however can clearly see deep changes in the Atlasian atmosphere. I had already outlined those trends I noticed back in January and tried to give a prediction of future trends one month later. Well, what I said still makes sense to me in July. The influence of Hamilton had a decisive impact on Atlasian politics, even after his ban. To put it simply, the bunch of hateful trolls he brought here have gained influence, they have taken the entire control of a region and they represent now the second political force of Atlasia. The majority of Populares are good people who are interested in a constructive debate. But the party's machine is still in the hands of ideological hacks who are responsible for the current outburst of hatred against the newly elected administration.

This trend is likely to last for a while, as all the means to fight them have revealed to be useless. But now, contrary to what I though back in february, I think it is possible to coexist with them while preventing the to cause too much harms. I am also convinced that once Dave will finally decide to ban a few persons who deserve it, the Populares could beacome a normal and responsible party. thus, while the trend I observed recently is a quite worrying one, we might be coming to an end to the era of hatred we live in since months.

4. Do you have any personal plans for the future?

As for now, I don't have the energy and the motivation I had back in the time when I helped to establish the Northeast Assembly and became one of its most active members. The defeat of Barnes for his Senate bid was a major trauma for me, convincing me that I had nothing to do in this region anymore. However, I never fully managed to get interest in Pacific regional politics as I had for Northeast. As of now, I don't see myself running for any election, whether regional or federal. In a few months, though, if I think I can be useful to Atlasia or the Pacific and am motivated enough, I could run for an office. Generally speaking, I tend to prefer legislative offices to executive. However, I can't exclude anything. Whatever I do, I will keep following Atlasian events very closely and commenting them each time it's necessary.

And finally...

Bills That Failed

The Right To Life amendment was tabled back in December 17th 2005 by Senators PBrunsel and Ebowed stating that 'No Atlasian person may be deprived of their right to life under the uses of abortion, euthanasia, or capital punishment.' carrying a 25 year prison sentence. Various amendments were proposed but the amendment ultimately failed with a 4-4 tie

Atlasia has moved on significantly in the past five years becoming one the most socially liberal nations in the western world. While the likelyhood of such an amendment being tabled today remains, the chances of it failing either on the Senate floor or if carried, failing at the hands of the voters is significantly greater.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »

I was going to make a comment about how the odds of such an amendment being tabled would inevitably be poor since the Senate these days tables hardly anything. Then I realized that tabling a bill means something different in the United Kingdom.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »

Ludlow Amendment goes to the People

'War Idol' may be coming to Atlasia in the form of the Ludlow Amendment, a convulted attempt at bringing the power to declare war to 'the people' through a referendum. Except 'in the event of an invasion of the Republic of Atlasia or attack upon its citizens residing therein.' Spectator and Society wonders where the Senate has been these last ten years where the biggest threat remains an attack on it's citizens outside it's own borders.

The linkage of such attacks with any individual nation is of course somewhat wooly. Never the less the threat of a rogue nation attack on our diplomatic services, on shared services such as the UN and on innocent Atlasian's is a real threat. This amendment if passed and the protracted affair of simply declaring war on an agressor is dangerous; it allows any agressor to launch wave after wave of attack on Atlasia internationally while the Senate and the people become involved in an unnecessary slow waltz to war.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »

Indeed.  This amendment is a well intentioned, though thoroughly deluded, attempt to make us think twice before declaring war.  Ultimately, though, it will lead to a great many unnecessary deaths, and I urge everyone to vote against it.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2010, 12:10:27 PM »

This is a horrible amendment and if I could I would vote no 100 times against it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »

Ludlow Amendment goes to the People

'War Idol' may be coming to Atlasia in the form of the Ludlow Amendment, a convulted attempt at bringing the power to declare war to 'the people' through a referendum. Except 'in the event of an invasion of the Republic of Atlasia or attack upon its citizens residing therein.' Spectator and Society wonders where the Senate has been these last ten years where the biggest threat remains an attack on it's citizens outside it's own borders.

The linkage of such attacks with any individual nation is of course somewhat wooly. Never the less the threat of a rogue nation attack on our diplomatic services, on shared services such as the UN and on innocent Atlasian's is a real threat. This amendment if passed and the protracted affair of simply declaring war on an agressor is dangerous; it allows any agressor to launch wave after wave of attack on Atlasia internationally while the Senate and the people become involved in an unnecessary slow waltz to war.

That makes no sense, as the Ludlow Amendment has no impact whatsoever on the speed with which the country can marshal its forces for war. The Senate can respond just as rapidly as it always has. It is merely the case that if the people reject the war in referendum, the troops must be withdrawn & the war effort must end.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies