Spain PM-elect: Troops out of Iraq (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:12:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Spain PM-elect: Troops out of Iraq (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spain PM-elect: Troops out of Iraq  (Read 19062 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: March 15, 2004, 03:44:44 PM »

All you angry Americans are missing the fact that though the war on terrorism is an obvious national interest to the US, is isn't really to Spain. It's just an issue of a moral stand there, and I am not surprised to see them backing out of it. I agree though that it's sends a very bad and stupid message to terrorists.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 04:00:12 PM »

Fine, let them suck up to the terrorists. Let's just defend America from terrorism.  To hell with Europe.  Wonder how they'll feel over there when the terrorists detanate a small nuke in Madrid or Paris.  Think that will get their attention?  I doubt it.

Why would they nuke Paris?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 04:57:01 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2005, 08:28:39 PM by Peter Bell »

Well, i personally agree that it is in our long-term interest, but I don't think a lot of Europeans would agree to that. Fundamentally, the US is hated by Muslims in a way that European countries aren't.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 05:49:53 PM »

Fine, let them suck up to the terrorists. Let's just defend America from terrorism.  To hell with Europe.  Wonder how they'll feel over there when the terrorists detanate a small nuke in Madrid or Paris.  Think that will get their attention?  I doubt it.

Why would they nuke Paris?

Gustav, they want to nuke us all.  We're all infidels.

Yeah, but they don't have that many nukes...Paris wouldn't be the first-gand cjoice, I think.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 05:59:18 PM »

You people are reading way too much into the Spanish election.  And viewing it through the lenses offered by your own immersions in your own electorate.  The spaniards were angry at Aznar.  But Aznar is good-looking and a smooth talker, so they were ready to overlook the Iraq thing.  But then the strikes happen.  If you're in the USA or England, you rally around your leaders during those times, Spaniards don't.  In general, spanish-speaking people cannot be judged by the political standards by which you judge english-speaking people.

Exactly. I'm glad to see the first Republican to make some sense out of this. And to all of you, this is not a question of appeasement since the Spanish NEVER were in favour of the war, they've opposed it all along.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 06:09:50 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2005, 08:29:52 PM by Peter Bell »

They'll get around to it.  Or just occupy Paris - its halfway occupied territory already.

Where are they gonna get all those nukes? They don't wanna piss off France, that's where they're gonna get their nukes from for crying out loud!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 06:27:16 PM »

Iran.  N. Korea, Rogue scientist from Pakistan.  Plutonium on the black market.  Who knows.  They just need one.  Getting it is the only barrier.  Anyone doubt they are frantic to get one and aren't leaving any stone unturned to get it?  Willingness to use it is not a problem for them.

I think few of those countries would risk it...and North Korea seems like a long shot, interaction isn't really their thing...and if they get one nuke they won't set it off in Paris, that'd be like choice number 1257 or something.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 06:44:59 PM »

Risk what?  How are you going to trace it?  And even if they did, President Kerry would just hit em with a UN resolution.

There won't be a president Kerry...and I don't think he could do that if it was an American city. And you could definitely trace it, limited options etc. And all countries with nukes would be scared s*itless.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 03:54:21 PM »

Look for them to hit the Brits or Italy next.  You'll immediately see hundreds of thousands in the steets demonstrating not against the terrorists that hit them, but Bush and Blair.  I think I'm going to throw up.

You are 200% right on that one.

100% at the most. I am pretty sure the Brits wouldn't react like that. And you're still missing the dynamics behind the Spanish election result.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 03:57:52 PM »

European Commission Chief Romano Prodi:

"It is clear that using force is not the answer to resolving the conflict with terrorists"

Please someone wake me up from this nightmare.

For the next time, give the source. For this, it's The stampa.

I think, when you read all the text, that Prodi wanted say that the US action in Iraq was wrong to fight terrorism because terrorism is stronger today that a year ago.

He says also that EU must fight against terrorism to give security to EU citizens.

I'd like more of the context to understand exactly what Prodi is saying. But the man is viewed as a joke by most people, so he doesn't really mean much himself.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 04:23:40 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2005, 08:32:36 PM by Peter Bell »

Many of the most influential people in history were viewed as a 'joke'   In any event, here's some context:

http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Politica/2004/03_Marzo/13/prodi.shtml

OK, Mr. 'I read Italian and is gonna show off with it', I don't. Smiley

And Prodi may be many things, but he certainly isn't influential.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 02:00:33 PM »

All you angry Americans are missing the fact that though the war on terrorism is an obvious national interest to the US, is isn't really to Spain...

OK, Gustaf, you almost made me choke to death with that one.  All I can say is: if Spain doesn't think the war on terror is in THEIR national interest, then I would LOVE to read the Spanish interpretation of bin Ladin's letter in which he stated his intention to restore Andalusia under Muslim control.

Wake up!

OK, I can see how my post could be misinterpreted, it was badly phrased. Spain has, to my knowledge, had NO problems with MUSLIM terrorism until now. That was my point. And I don't think Al-Qaeda is gonna take back Andalusia...when Spain reclaims California, maybe, but not before that.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 02:01:16 PM »

We definitely aren't, but all the liberals of the world would create too much outcry if we turned the entire Middle-East into a crater with nukes.

Yes, we would.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 02:51:05 PM »

That was my point. And I don't think Al-Qaeda is gonna take back Andalusia...when Spain reclaims California, maybe, but not before that.

Yes, but Andalusia IS explicitly on Al-Qaeda's hit list because their goal is to win back the land Muslim's once controlled.

They're weirdos, but not that kind of weirdos. The 9/11 attack was sufficiently competent and smart for me to believe that some sort of second coming on the Iberian peninsula is very unlikely to occur. I think Al-Qaeda is more of a serious threat than to be occupied with such odd-ball issues. And, once again, that issue hasn't bothered Spain since, lol, I dunno, mediaeval times?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 03:17:41 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2005, 08:34:43 PM by Peter Bell »

The president of the US will never be persona non grata anywhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies