1996: Clinton/Gore vs. Wilson/Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:31:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1996: Clinton/Gore vs. Wilson/Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1996: Clinton/Gore vs. Wilson/Bush  (Read 860 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »

Ok so say the GOP retakes congress in 1994 and everything stays the same except for the fact that information has been leaked stating that the FBI and Clinton Administration had warnings about the Oklahoma City bombing at least a week in advance. Clinton has yet to give a straight answer after over a year and Governor Bush of Texas is chosen as Pete Wilson's running mate and heavily criticizes Clinton over Waco. What do you think would be the outcome? GO!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:04:39 PM »

Massive Clinton landslide due to Wilson's pro-abortion position. This causes many conservatives to stay home/vote third party. Also, being warned about Pearl Harbor in advance didn't hurt FDR, and being warned about 9/11 in advance didn't hurt Bush Jr. Thus, I doubt being warned about Oklahoma City in advance would hurt Clinton, since he could always blame someone else. Finally, Bush Jr.'s inexperience causes many people to question Wilson's judgment in choosing him as VP and vote for Clinton (similar to McCain/Palin in 2008).
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »

Massive Clinton landslide due to Wilson's pro-abortion position. This causes many conservatives to stay home/vote third party. Also, being warned about Pearl Harbor in advance didn't hurt FDR, and being warned about 9/11 in advance didn't hurt Bush Jr. Thus, I doubt being warned about Oklahoma City in advance would hurt Clinton, since he could always blame someone else. Finally, Bush Jr.'s inexperience causes many people to question Wilson's judgment in choosing him as VP and vote for Clinton (similar to McCain/Palin in 2008).

I don't think it would be that much of a landslide but Clinton would've won by alot. The VP isn't even a top 25 issue and Bush never had advanced knowledge of 9/11 that was credible prior to the attacks.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2010, 04:49:31 PM by SE Lt. Gov tb75 »

Clinton/Gore-411

Wilson/Bush-112

Perot/Choate-15

Perot wins several states, because of Wilson's lack of support,and thanks to Bush who was inexperienced. Clinton wins Colorado,NC, and Virginia states he wanted to win.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »

http://

This is an interesting scenario. What about Wilson in his comparison to Dole though?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »

I don't think it would be that much of a landslide but Clinton would've won by alot. The VP isn't even a top 25 issue and Bush never had advanced knowledge of 9/11 that was credible prior to the attacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_Laden_Determined_to_Strike_in_United_States
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »

This is an interesting scenario. What about Wilson in his comparison to Dole though?

What does the green stand for? Tossup? And there's no way any Southern states vote for a pro-abortion candidate. Many conservatives/religious voters would stay home or vote third party and thus the whole South would go to Clinton. Also, having an inexperienced VP will hurt Wilson a lot because his judgment and credibility will be questioned, and many voters would be unwilling to vote for a President with poor judgment.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »

What does the green stand for? Tossup? And there's no way any Southern states vote for a pro-abortion candidate. Many conservatives/religious voters would stay home or vote third party and thus the whole South would go to Clinton. Also, having an inexperienced VP will hurt Wilson a lot because his judgment and credibility will be questioned, and many voters would be unwilling to vote for a President with poor judgment.

They would still go to the GOP though. There are other issues like supporting the death penalty, funding our armed forces, and cutting taxes. I know that social issues come first in the south, but people are too uncomfortable to vote for the other party and for good reasons. Bill Clinton was very pro-abortion and even allowed for the federal funding of abortions. Wilson could have won those states by blasting him on that regardless of his own position. An inexperienced VP? Find me voters who vote for the bottom half of a ticket.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_Laden_Determined_to_Strike_in_United_States

Most of the intelligence community recognized in the summer of 2001 that the number and severity of threat reports were unprecedented. Many officials told us that they knew something terrible was planned, and they were desperate to stop it. Despite their large number, the threats received contained few specifics regarding time, place, method, or target. Most suggested that attacks were planned against targets overseas; others indicated threats against unspecified "U.S. interests." We cannot say for certain whether these reports, as dramatic as they were, related to the 9/11 attacks.

Had we had better funding for the CIA and FBI throughout the 90's, it could have been prevented. This gave us a month to stop such things. I'd like to see someone capable of figuring that out.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies