How would Western Europe have voted in U.S. Presidential Elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:53:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How would Western Europe have voted in U.S. Presidential Elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would Western Europe have voted in U.S. Presidential Elections?  (Read 3059 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« on: July 08, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »

Canada's not in Western Europe, but politically we're somewhat similar (at least when it comes to US politics)

Reagan would've won in '84, not sure about 1980.  Dukakis could've won in '88, as Free Trade was unpopular in Canada at the time (anti-Free Trade parties won a majority of the vote in 88 Canadian election, despite the Tories winning). Clinton was fairly popular here, so he would've won in at least 1996, and probably 1992 as well. Gore would probably have won, but Bush would've done respectable in 2000, but would get ass raped in 2004. And McCain too.

Kennedy was very popular here too, and I reckon Nixon wasn't popular.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:08 PM »

Canada's not in Western Europe, but politically we're somewhat similar (at least when it comes to US politics)

Reagan would've won in '84, not sure about 1980.  Dukakis could've won in '88, as Free Trade was unpopular in Canada at the time (anti-Free Trade parties won a majority of the vote in 88 Canadian election, despite the Tories winning). Clinton was fairly popular here, so he would've won in at least 1996, and probably 1992 as well. Gore would probably have won, but Bush would've done respectable in 2000, but would get ass raped in 2004. And McCain too.

Kennedy was very popular here too, and I reckon Nixon wasn't popular.

How do you think 1976 would have gone for Canada? Ford seems like the kind of Republican that could have been appealing to the great North, but I still think Carter would win.

Having no clue, I would guess Ford. Carter was a southern populist, and people of his ideology don't exist to the same degree here. I of course like Carter, but Canadians who lived through his presidency remember his screw ups, whereas I know more about his recent work.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies