Westman Timeline Pt. I
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:28:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman Timeline Pt. I
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 40
Author Topic: Westman Timeline Pt. I  (Read 186989 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: August 04, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »

October 21st, 1984
Westman Campaign stop in Glasgow, Montana:

Scott Westman is in his campaign trailer when Carl Herschelwitz bursts in.
Herschelwitz: Scott!
Westman: I can't believe this bullsh*t.  I mean really, how the hell do these Conservative people always gain the ground on our asses two and a half weeks before election time?  I mean really?
Herschelwitz: Scott!  This is important!
Westman: I mean really man I'm fiscally conservative, I'm pro-gun, what more do these people want?!
Herschelwitz: It's Caroline man.
Westman: I can never find that woman I swear.  It's like she has a compulsion to go shopping wherever we go.  It's like my bank account is the Nile River and she is always swimming up north-
Herschelwitz: YOUR WIFE'S WATER BROKE DAMN IT!  WE NEED TO TAKE HER TO A HOSPITAL.....NOW!!!!
Westman looked up in disbelief.
Westman: Oh sh*t!  You serious!?
The two men bolt out of the trailer and head for one of the campaign vans.

We're all havin' babies... Tongue

You guys are bunch of creep.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #551 on: August 04, 2011, 04:35:33 PM »

October 21st, 1984

Westman: I can't believe this bullsh*t.  I mean really, how the hell do these Conservative people always gain the ground on our asses two and a half weeks before election time?  I mean really?
Westman: I mean really man I'm fiscally conservative, I'm pro-gun, what more do these people want?!
Westman: I can never find that woman I swear.  It's like she has a compulsion to go shopping wherever we go.  It's like my bank account is the Nile River and she is always swimming up north-
Herschelwitz: YOUR WIFE'S WATER BROKE DAMN IT!  WE NEED TO TAKE HER TO A HOSPITAL.....NOW!!!!

Are not! I have you know, Kal that my fiancee and I have already discussed how many children and what their names would be Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #552 on: August 04, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »

October 21st, 1984

Are not! I have you know, Kal that my fiancee and I have already discussed how many children and what their names would be Tongue

I didn't need to know that Tongue I really didn't.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #553 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »

October 21st, 1984

I didn't need to know that Tongue I really didn't.

Tough teepees. Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #554 on: August 04, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »

What's wrong with you, people? Can't you have normal kids out of wedlock?

Jesus and Jefferson Dent are crying, reading this.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #555 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »

Did I ever say that Westman was the father?
(scandal)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #556 on: August 04, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »

Did I ever say that Westman was the father?
(scandal)

Holy swerve, Batman!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #557 on: August 04, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

October 21st, 1984
Francis Mahon Deaconess Hospital
Glasgow, Montana:

Carl Herschelwitz is waiting outside the hospital room in the guest lobby.  With him are Kyle, Scott's assistant, and Scott's daughter Brea.  Carl looks up at Brea Westman, Scott's eldest child and his (that he knew of) only daughter.  It was then that he realized how grown up Brea had become.  When he first met her she was like eight years old.  Now suddenly she was a fully grown young woman of nearly 21 years of age.
And suddenly, she was one of the most gorgeous women Carl had laid eyes on.
There was no holding him back.  Carl got up and sat down next to Brea and put his arm around her.  Bold move, Carl.  Maybe she'll even give you her number you sicko.
What are you talking about?  She's one of the most gorgeous women in the world?  Who wouldn't!!!?
You sick bastard!  That is your best friend's little daughter you're macking on!!!!  Where the hell is your sense of decency?
Gone out the window since I've lived with Scott Westman?
Meh, good point.  Damn, she's got some nice kno-
You were saying Mr. Conscience?
Uhh duhh hurr durr......
Exactly.

Car half expected her to shy away and ask him why he's being a creeper.  Instead......Brea leaned back into his arms.
Nice work, Hero.  You might even get lucky after the campaign is over, you dirty old man.
Brea: I wish all of this was over, Carl.  I wish it was.  God this place is so cold.
Carl takes off his coat and puts it over Brea.  Then she lays down using Carl's forearm as her pillow.  She takes hold of his other hand and makes light traces upon the back of it.
Have I died and gone to heaven?
Brea: I just wish that all of this campaigning, this whole pregnancy thing with Caroline, I just wish it was over so I could go on with my life.  So I could have a life y'know?  Like hang out with friends at the local cafe or have a date with a nice guy....
Herschelwitz: Settle down child.  You will eventually get your life back.
Brea: You really think so?  Who would want to hang out with a boring ole political rat like me?
Herschelwitz: Well I would.
Idiot!  Don't blow this.
Brea opens her eyes and looks into Carls.
Brea: Really....Carl?
Herschelwitz: Yes I would.  In fact once this whole craziness is over I would love to take you to a nice seafood restaurant.
Brea looks spellbound.  She is about to speak when-
Westman: You guys getting comfy?
Herschelwitz: Oh hey Scott.  How's it going?
Westman: That's gotta be the scariest damn scene I've seen since I watched that dude's head explode in Scanners.  Actually it's even scarier than that.
Herschelwitz: Right.
Westman: YOu know I wouldn't be in there if it weren't for the unwritten husband law I had to stay in the room.  They estimate that it has at least 23 more hours up there in that bitch.
Brea: Dad!
Westman, realizing how his words came out, suddenly backtracked.
Westman: Whoa!  I'm sorry guys.  I didn't mean for it to come out like that.  Damn my expressions of speech!
Westman punches the wall in frustration.
Westman: Anyway, I think I'll be up here for most of the rest of it.  I'll sleep in the lobby if need be.  You guys just go back to doing what you were doing.  Carl you cover for me on the campaign trail.  Brea, go back to Missoula.  I appreciate you being here but there is nothing more important than your schooling.  You can see your baby brother or sister anytime in the future.  I'm glad you showed it means a lot.
Brea gets up off Carl and walks over and gives Scott a quick peck on the cheek.
Brea: See you later Da.
Brea walks off.  Carl is gathering his stuff when Westman speaks up.
Westman: Wait Carl, you stay here.
Carl, sensing what Westman wanted to talk about stammered:
Herschelwitz: Listen, Scott.......we were just-
Westman: Do you ever get the feeling that things aren't what they seem?
Carl, caught off guard by his statement, inquired:
Herschelwitz: What do you mean?
Westman takes a seat next to his friend before speaking up.
Westman: I mean like........what if this life wasn't the one we were meant to live?
Herschelwitz: Okay man, have you been reading too many alternate history novels lately?
Westman: Well it's just all of these really weird murders that have been happening lately y'know with all of those people being triple tapped in the head?
Carl stomps his foot really hard on the hospital floor before speaking up.
Herschelwitz: I KNEW IT!
Westman looks confused.
Herschelwitz: I think I saw the murderer a few weeks back.  I was in the elevator at the Holiday Inn at Helena with this middle aged man who had an intense glare in his eyes.  At the time I thought he was one of those damn queers y'know?
Westman: You mean a f****t, right?
Herschelwitz: Yeah, a f****t, right.  Anyway, this guy who I believe to be a f****t is just glaring off into space like he is on some nefarious deed.  I felt like somewhere I had met him before, but I couldn't remember where it was that I knew him.  And I mean it wasn't just some sort of "I met you before thing".  It was like I knew this guy for years, like he was some sort of mentor to me.  Like he was my father!  It's weird man.  It was like there was this psychic link between us and I could tell he was up to something.  And then later that night, some transexual gets murdered and dumped in a trash receptor in Helena!
Westman is shocked silent.
Westman: Surely this could be just a coincidence Carl?
Herschelwitz: I could tell just by looking at him he was damn guilty of something.  I could be wrong man.  It could just be the buzz talkin to me or something man.
Westman: Yeah I hear you man.  You never know with those damn buzzes if what you perceive or think is real you know.  Reality is like sand through the hourglass.  Just like the days of our lives.
Herchelwitz: Damn dude, that was some heavy duty metaphorical sh*t you just said man.  It's like I heard it before somewhere.  Sometime........unlike this time.
Westman: But one thing that I do know, one thing that I do believe, is that there is no better time than right now.  No matter who you are, no matter where you are, no matter what your end goal in life is you do have a reason.  Sure, you might be the man who goes to the moon, you might be the man who invents the cure for cancer, or be the man who finds out a way to keep old men sexually virile into their post retirement years.  It doesn't matter, you have a purpose here.  Doesn't sh*t like that just blow your mind man?
Herschelwitz: Lay off the dope man, what you been thinking about alternate worlds or what not for?
Westman: Well Carl, what if in another universe we don't exist?  I mean like me and you don't exist man?  What if our families don't exist?  What if our parents, our grandparents, our whole family lines never existed?  What if this life we are living in, what if the events that have taken place here are drastically different from the "real" reality?  What if all of this isn't real man?
Herschelwitz: You know what I think man?
[b}WestmanSad/b] What?
Herschelwitz: I think I want some of that sh*t you been smokin'.
Westman: F***in A man.
The two men go outside for a smoke.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #558 on: August 04, 2011, 10:16:22 PM »

Best not to go off on a sci-fi tangent like in EoF. Anyway, wonder what's goin on with the killer.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #559 on: August 04, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2011, 10:20:40 PM by The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels »

Best not to go off on a sci-fi tangent like in EoF. Anyway, wonder what's goin on with the killer.

Nah, it was just some of the ole

talkin to Westman.

As for the killer, well I just added the serial killer news just to make this TL seem more like real life.  That, and I always wanted to make a serial killer for the gays (kind of like that one clown who was a Democrat, meh what was his name?).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #560 on: August 05, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »

A New Candidate for a New Age
A Westman Campaign Commercial
Original Airdate: October 25th, 1984

The camera turns on to see world renowned and award winning classical-metal guitarist Randy Rhoads playing a gothic tune.  He then looks up into the camera before talking.
Hello.  This is Randy Rhoads.  A lot of you may know me from my guitar work on certain records that contain a very unique gothic and classical sound to it.  And a lot of you who have heard these records will be first time voters come November 6th, 1984.  That is what I want to talk to you about today.
This will surprise people but I don't want to talk about the Presidential Election, but rather the gubernatorial race in Montana state.
I usually don't get myself involved in politics that often.  I usually think it's a pointless task given to the amount of politicians beholden to special interest groups and the like.  However, I believe that the people of Montana have a real choice this election.  And that choice is Scott Westman and Mendelik D'Israeli.  I consider that ticket to have the very best of the traditional libertarian values that made our country great in the first place: the freedom of choice and of individual liberty.  That is why I am endorsing Scott Westman, my good friend, in the race for Montana Governor.  There is no better alternative.

This is Scott Westman and I approve this message.

The Randy Rhoads endorsement would catch many political observers off guard.  Many would say that it was because Scott Westman and the young neo-classical artist Rhoads were good friends.  The two had met before either of them were successful, in 1975 when Westman was in Santa Monica with a few friends attending a few shows in the LA club scene.  At one show the thirty year old Scott Westman would witness the then 18 year old Randy Rhoads playing with his band Winetrap Fox.  After the show Westman would meet Rhoads, who almost immediately recognized him for his role as an anti-war demonstrator in the late 1960's.  The two young men would immediately hit it off...........
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #561 on: August 05, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »

Warning: New Jersey insults and Germans making Holocaust jokes up ahead.  You've been warned.

June 19th, 1975
The Jailbird Rock Club
Santa Monica, California:

Winetrap Fox guitarist Randy Rhoads is sitting in a booth with Scott Westman and his friends Carl Herschelwitz, Michael T. Ramone, Jerry Douschle, and Steffan L. Dietrich.  It was very rare for Scott to travel anywhere without a female companion, but this trip warranted an exception.  Sometimes even Scott Westman had t have some time down time with the guys.  Especially when it comes time to visit some of the burgeoning metal scenes kicking up along the California Coast.
Rhoads: So, how is the state of Montana?
Ramone laughs.
Ramone: It's damn cold, even in the summertime.
Rhoads laughs.
Douschle: No it's not you damn Jersey pussy.  Then again, if I were from Hell I would find this climate to be too cold.
Ramone: That's real tough coming from you, Douche Hill.
Everybody laughs.
Dietrich: (German accent) Ze Vether is very enjoyable zis time of year.
Randy laughs
Dietrich: Vhat's so funny?  Never heard someone speak vith ze accent before?
Westman: Right on Herr Stephanie.  (mock German accent) Perhaps you should order some Herrbinger to relieve your zirst?
Dietrich: Sure, I'll order one as soon as zu get your Cosmopolitan, Captain McFaggund.
Everybody laughs at Scott.
Dietrich: Can zu feel za burn?
Westman: I don't know, you would be the expert on that, vuldn't zu?
Dietrich: Vhats the differunce betveen Scott Westman and an oven full of Jews?
Everybody is silent.
Dietrich: Das Jews aren't flaming!
Everybody has an uncomfortable laugh.
Westman: You think you're f***ing funny, don't you asshole?
Douschle: So Scott, was he wearing a dress during the inter-
Westman:-still better looking than anything you've tapped, Douschle.
Rhoad is laughing.  The waiter comes by.
Waiter: Can I get you guys anything to drink?
Dietrich: Yes, I'll have ze Shiner Bock.
Westman: I'll have a Long Island Ice Tea.
Douschle: I'll have a Miller Lite
Westman, Dietrich, Ramone, Herschelwitz: f****t!
Ramone: I'll have an Orange Shock Top
Herschelwitz: I'll have a vodka and tonic.
Rhoads: I'll have a water with lime.
Everybody is giving Rhoads a weird look.
Rhoads: What?
Herschelwitz: You're a f***ing guitarist in a metal band and you drink water with a f***ing lime?
Ramone: What the f*** kid?
Douschle: What the f*** dude?
Westman: What the f*** man?
Dietrich: Vhat ze f***?
Rhoads laughs before putting a cigarette in his mouth and lighting it.  He takes a puff before tapping it into the ashtray.
Rhoads: Well, I'm not a huge fan of the excess.  I'm just a guitarist.  All I ever want to do man is just play this guitar.  I don't care about the parties, the excess, the bad habits.  That's just not me.
Westman: I mean seriously kid, jesus.  You don't even f***ing swear man.  You're like the rated G rockstar or something.  I bet you don't even nail groupies, do ya boy?
Rhoads laughs.
Rhoads: Well see I'm going out with this girl Melissa right now who is in like the tenth grade at the local high school.  It's a pretty steady thing right now.  I buy her flowers and stuff.
Herschelwitz: Do you boff her?
Rhoads: What?
Herschelwitz: You heard me kid!  Do you get to have sexual relations with her?
Rhoads looks offended.
Rhoads: No!  Her father would kill me!  Besides, I would feel real guilty about it.  Here's a picture of her.
He starts handing it around the table.  It stops at Dietrich who looks up almost awestruck.
Dietrich: How old is ze?
Rhoads: She's fifteen.  We've been dating for two months.
Dietrich gasps in shock.
Dietrich: Vait a minute kid, you telling me you are lucky enough to get a hot ass fifteen year old high school to date you und you haven't done ze deed?  Vhat ze f***?
Rhoads: It's just something I'm not interested in doing.
Ramone: Whoa!  White knight alert!
Westman: Speaking of which, have you heard White Knight's latest record Randy?
Rhoads: Nope, I'm not really that much of a fan to be honest.  It's too progressive sounding.  It's better than Jethro Tull though.  With those flutes and that sludgy guitar sound.....eck.
Herschelwitz: Hey come on now!  Tony Iommi is a pretty good guitarist and gives an interesting sound to the band!  Otherwise it would just be flutes and other medieval sounding sh*t.
Rhoads: Meh I guess.  I always thought it sounded a little slow though.  I'm really more of a fan of Deep Purple, the Flying Hats, and the Judas Engine to be honest.
Westman: To each their own I guess.  You know you aren't so bad yourself.
Rhoads: Well, I've been playing since I was four years old, but I don't think I would consider myself anywhere near guys like Blackmore.
Westman: You crazy man?  You are easily one of the best guitarists I've ever heard.  Period.  You're at least better than that Dutch boy band we heard the other day, who were they called?
Douschle: Oh uh....Van Halen I believe?
Westman: Yeah, Van Halen.  That Eddie guy sounds like some idiot drum player who switched over to guitar.
Rhoads laughs.
Rhoads: Actually, yeah he kind of is.
Ramone: Yeah, that band really sucked.  Singer was kind of great, but everybody else just sucked.
Dietrich: Yeah, zair bass player sucked major ass!  Vhat vas his name again?
Rhoads: Oh yeah, he's some guy named Johnny Goodman.  He's a real nobody.  They would've been a little better off if they got somebody like Michael Anthony, the bassist for LA's Finest, to do bass and backing vocals for them.
Ramone: Yeah, they really suck.  I don't see them really going anywhere.  You though, you have a future.  You just need to ditch these losers.  What the hell kind of name is Winetrap Fox anyway?
Rhoads: Meh, they are really good and cool guys.  I can't just leave them you know.  We already got a contract in Japan to make a few albums, so I'll see what happens there.
Westman: Seriously though kid, you would have a lot of success if you just sent in a demo tape to some of the big record companies.  You never know when a group like White Knight might need a new guitarist or something.
Rhoads: Ha!  We'll see.

Three years later Randy Rhoads would be hired as White Knight's new lead guitarist after playing a thirty seconds of his rehearsal guitar piece for the band's vocalist Johnny Osbourne and the bassist Jerry Holmes.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #562 on: August 05, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

October 23rd, 1984
CNN News:

In other news, Montana Democratic Gubernatorial candidate Scott Westman and his wife Caroline welcomed a new addition into their family this morning at 6:41 AM.  Caroline Westman gave birth to a 7 lbs. and 8 oz. baby boy.  The couple has chosen the name Peter for the newborn boy.  In other news, the recent anthrax scare has been downgraded in New York City after it was found out that it was a prank call that initiated the state level hysteria.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #563 on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:06 PM »

October 28th, 1984
Third Gubernatorial Debate
Abortion Debate Excerpt:

Moderator:
Welcome to the Third 1984 Montana Gubernatorial Debate.  Today we will be discussing social issues, namely the state's laws regarding marijuana, homosexual relations, affirmative action, and the extremely controversial abortion debate that has been going on in this state for the better part of the last decade.  Due to the magnitude and importance of the abortion issue, a significant portion of this debate will revolve around the issue of legalization versus illegalization.  So let's begin:
Unlike many other issues the abortion issue isn't a partisan issue.  In fact among Montana Democratic and Republican Senate and House members the split between those who are pro-choice and those that are pro-life is fifty-fifty.  Currently on books in Montana On-Demand abortions are legal.  A woman can get an abortion for virtually any reason, though there are restrictions.  Notably so-called "partial-birth abortions" are illegal and public health funds aren't allowed to be used for abortions per the Fontaine Amendment.  Further, with the exception of life of the mother, abortions cannot be performed on a Sunday or Saturday.  Nationwide the situation is a bit different, as 31 states now have laws banning abortion, with emergency exceptions, on the books.  Only a few states, mostly in the Mountain West, have on-demand abortion legalization.  These states are: Arizona, Nevada, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Texas, and the District of Colombia.  In a number of other states abortion is legal in certain situations, namely for the health of the mother, in the case of rape, in the case of incest, or likely damaged fetus.  Support for abortion is strongest in the American West and weakest in the Rust Belt and Central Plains.  In today's debate most of the questions I shall ask revolve around the most recent Montana House debate over the Horrigan Bill, a bill introduced by Democratic House member Frank Horrigan of Bozeman.  The bill, which would undo the Geary Bill of 1979 which originally legalized on-demand abortions.  In it's place there would be an abortion ban in all cases except in cases of danger to the health of the mother or a likely damaged fetus.  There has been very lively debate over the implications of the bill due to almost split cultural divide in Montana society over this issue.  Over the past few years the pro-life lobby has gained momentum, winning abortion bans in numerous states.  Over the past month there has been a divide in feminist ranks, with a lot of feminists protesting the strength of the pro-life lobby in Montana while there have been a few pro-life feminists who have praised it.
It is important to note that we have here three candidates who have all been vocal to an extent about the issue of abortion.  Governor Peters has consistently said that if the Horrigan Bill or the possible Senate version of it, were to come across his desk he would veto it.  As a United States Senator Scott Westman praised the original passage of the Geary Bill, calling it a "great moment for the pro-choice movement" and later as US Senator said he would support allowing abortions to be covered by the Public Healthcare System.  During his failed re-election bid two years ago Senator Westman strongly defended abortion rights for women against the pro-life position of now Conservative US Senator David Walters.  Over the past few months the former Senator has been mostly silent on the issue of abortion, except in his campaign brochure that said the Westman/D'Israeli ticket supports "the law as it stands".  Michael Oglesby, the Conservative in the race, has said that he would support any ban on abortion that makes it's way past the legislature and would sign it "with a silvery grin on my face."  All three men, with records of strong passion on this one issue, one debate.  It begins right here, right now.
Let me begin by asking the incumbent Governor his take.
Peters: Well, I would obviously veto the bill if it came across my desk.  No exceptions.
Mod: Governor, what if the Legislature overrides your veto?  What then?
Peters: Well, I would respect their decision but then I would take the decision to the State Supreme Court.  I will defend the right to choose for the women of this state, even against my own party.  It is a cause worth defending.
Oglesby: So you would willingly oppose not only the majority of the people of this state but try to overturn legislative action by any means possible?
Peters: Sometimes Michael, defending minority rights is more important than obeying majority rule.  This is one of those cases.
Oglesby: What I see this is as is the wholesale legalization of murder.  That is something I wholeheartedly oppose, unlike you and I'm guessing the former US Senator.  Who I might add has been oddly quiet over this issue as of late.
Mod: So Mr. Oglesby, how do you feel about the Horrigan Bill?
Oglesby: Honestly I don't feel it goes near far enough in it's scope.  There are a lot of exceptions that could be made under such a provision as "health of the mother".  And "weak fetuses?"  I think I would've rather have been a weak unborn child than a dead unborn child myself!  I would prefer an abortion ban for any reason short of to save the life of the mother.  That is it.  However, if this is the best bill we can get through the Legislature I would happily sign it.  And if it fails to pass then we'll just try another day.  There are no off-seasons in the battle for life.
Peters: I don't know why Mr. Oglesby is so insistent about denying women their rights, but if it's his desire to lead his insurgent rag tag team of reactionaries to doom, then so be it.
Oglesby: You know Richie the people have had enough of the elitist rule of you and your far removed advisors.  You have led this state down the toilet in almost every way possible.  It's a miracle you are even polling in the teens now days.  The people have spoken and you have no chance, NO CHANCE of getting back into office.  You might as well just accept your fate.  This election will be a reaction against your failed polices.
The audience applauds.
Oglesby: You see, at least Mr. Westman here, at least he has shown these people a good amount of respect.  At least he goes out of his way to make the people of Montana feel special.  And at least he addresses me like I'm an equal of his.  Your past four years have been nothing more than looking down on everybody, whether that would be your debate opponents or the people of Montana.
Westman: Damn!
Audience laughs.
Oglesby: He still needs to master the English language though.
Audience laughs.
Mod: Mister Westman?!
Westman: Oh yes sorry.  I was just a little dazed......from the ownage I just witnessed.  Please.......proceed.
Mod: Okay, over the past few months you and your campaign have been oddly quiet on this issue.  This is perplexing because the last time you ran for political office you were very vocal in your support of on demand abortion rights for women.  You even went as far as to say you would like to get rid of the Fontaine Amendment which prohibits public healthcare funds from being used for the abortion procedure.  Out of all the social issues in this election, with the possible exception of gun rights, this is the most important issue for many Montanans.  Yet you have been very silent on it, despite it's relevance.  What we would like to know exactly is.........what is your position on all of this?
Westman: On all of what?
Mod: You know the most recent abortion debate.
Westman: Oh right.  Well I'm not really sure to be honest.
The auditorium gets oddly quiet.  The moderator looks perplexed.
Mod: I'm sorry, what??
Westman: I'm not really sure okay?  There are some stuff I know now about the matter that I wish I knew earlier.  It's hard to make a really informed decision on an issue that I'm unsure about.
The moderator raises an eyebrow, this is most interesting.
Mod: Right.  Any responses?
Oglesby: None, Mister Westman's silence speaks a thousand words............

Michael Oglesby's words would prove to be prophetic.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #564 on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »

Third Gubernatorial Debate Cont.:

Mod:
Onto our next topic: Marijuana legalization.  For the past two decades Montana has been the forefront of the marijuana legalization movement.  A decade ago in 1974 Governor Schumacher signed into legislation a bill that decriminalized marijuana usage.  What that meant was that the priority of marijuana arrests and seizures would be a bottom priority for police.  Ironically, the bill ended up resulting in a record number of arrests in the following six years as marijuana practitioners got more bold and started smoking in public places.  Believing that the high rates of drug related incarcerations were due to the government "emboldening radical drug dealers" Governor Peters signed into law a bill that reversed the decriminalization of marijuana, believing that if marijuana arrests become a priority for state policemen it would deter marijuana usage.  The results so far have been mixed.  In most of the state marijuana arrests are down.  However, Montana still remains the top marijuana producing state in the nation as well as a vital place in the north for the Pan-Canadian Drug Highway.  What would you do in regards to the marijuana question?  Senator?
Westman: I think the answer is quite simple: if the Drug Highway had to compete with cheaper legal goods it would fall upon itself.  I say legalize it and tax it, then you will see this so-called "drug problem" disappear!
Peters: I think the former US Senator, emphasis on "former" is speaking too much from personal bias.  It is no secret that Mister Westman has expressed a fond taste for marijuana clubs in Amsterdam and other places.  He just wants to legalize it so he and his advisors can have a nice puff or two while in meetings about his "fantastic" vision for making Montana "green".  It is fact that this administration has helped deter drug usage and has toned down a lot of the drug trade through this state.  The liberal media won't tell you that, just like they won't tell you that people like Westman almost always abuse their power once in office instead of use it responsibly.
Westman: This man is unfit to be in a political debate much less hold the office of Governor.  You sir make a mockery out of the process and have no respect for anybody unless they agree with you.  Why should I bother continue this futile exercise?
Oglesby: Please don't leave yet Mr. Westman just because Governor Peters is a tool.  However, he does make a good point about law enforcement.  No matter how much you may've enjoyed the few times you have smoked marijuana it is still a dangerous and addictive substance that needs to be controlled.  Sure, I don't think decriminalization would be too radical, but legalization is.  We just can't have kids smoking the dope outside our favorite bars and stuff, can we?
Westman: Alcohol is both more addictive and more dangerous than weed yet it is legal.  Explain that one, Mister Genius.

Mod: Onto our next topic is the issue of gay rights.  Currently the state of Montana has same sex unions that have all the rights and privileges of marriage.  However, many gay rights activists feel like it isn't enough and want the state government to fully consider their unions to be "marriage".  How would you gentlemen address this issue?
Peters: Well obviously it will never be enough for some people.  These gay "activists" already got everything they want.  They are already equal to straight people in almost every conceivable way in this state, but no it isn't enough for them.  They want to force everybody to recognize their unions as being "marriages".  To me that is taking activism a little too far.  I would put these people in their place and say "hey look guys, you already got your rights and privileges.  No need to force your definition of marriage down other peoples' throats."
Mod: Mister Oglesby?
Oglesby: You know for once I agree with the Governor on an issue.  The gay activist lobby is one of the most egomaniacal movements out there and it's stances like this that prove it.  They are already EQUAL to heterosexuals!  But no, it's not enough for them is it?  They got to take that victory and force the government to recognize that they have triumphed over the straight hierarchy by forcing people at gunpoint to recognize that gay people have "marriages" instead of "civil unions".  They have evolved to be more than any other special interest groups, they have become above the law.  Mark my words a few years from now you won't even be able to make sermons about the immorality of homosexuality without being sued by some gay "rights" organization for being hateful.
Westman laughs, loudly.
Mod: Mr. Westman?
Westman: These two gentlemen obviously don't understand the crux of the gay rights movement: to become equal with heterosexuals.  That means completely equal.  Not just partially, not just half equal, completely equal.  Right now the state government gives out official marriage licenses to straight couples who get "married".  What do gay couples get?  Oh that's right, they get a "civil union" license, which is like getting a Driver's Permit instead of a "Driver's License".  I mean what better way to say "Welcome to Loserville" than by giving someone a "civil union's license"?  That's like ordering a McBurger and only getting a ZooBurger!  It's a ripoff!
Peters: That's not true and you know Westman.  Gays already are pretty much equal to straight people.  In law and in society.
Westman laughs again.
Westman: No they are not!  Everywhere they go with their partner people are always going to judge them!  Besides, you forget that transsexual individuals also fall under the umbrella term "gay rights".  Let me tell you gentlemen firsthand that often times you can't tell a transsexual person from a normal person.  Trust me, I know.
Audience laughs.  Westman chuckles.
Westman: All these transsexual individuals want in life is to be known for the person they truly are inside.  They are just as much of a woman, or a man, as your wife or husband is to you.  By opposing things like marriage equality you aren't only calling them different, you are calling their spouse "different".  Different for what?  For falling for the man or woman that is trapped inside!?  How dare you gentlemen, HOW DARE YOU!?
Loud boos from one portion of audience, loud cheers from another portion.
Mod: Well this is obviously an emotional issue for Mister Westman.  I believe we should move on before more unnecessary feelings are revealed.
Westman gets up and yanks the mic from the stand in front of him.
Westman: You damn right this is an emotional issue for me Steven.
Mod: Mister Westman, PLEASE SIT DOWN!
Westman: No I won't sit down!  I personally have experienced love with one of these targeted individuals.  It is a grave injustice to her that there are people in this nation, and in this state, who would make it hard for her and others to truly feel like they are one with us.
Mod: Mister Westman, if you do not stop now I will have you ejected from this debate by police!
Westman: You don't have the balls you coward!  Just like neither of these men have the balls for true equality!  THROW ME OUT YOU BASTARD!  YOU AIN'T GOT THE BALLS!
Mod: SECURITY!  THROW MISTER WESTMAN OUT!
Security comes on stage and grabs Westman by the arms.
Westman: Go ahead boys, I won't bite.
One of the security men punches Westman in the face.  The security men walk Westman out of the debate.
Mod: I'm sorry for the premature end to this debate.  As a result of Mister Westman's unacceptable behavior on the debate floor I have decided not only to end this debate now but to bar Westman from the fourth and final debate, an open forum debate.  Personally I don't think a man with his behavior should be anywhere near a political office, much less the governorship.  This proves why.

The episode between Westman and the moderator would go down in history.  Westman's emotional outburst towards the end would have a divided response among people.  There were quite a few who viewed it as "immature, rude, and such uncalled for language".  Others, however, thought it was "the bravest thing anyone's ever said".  The response was very divided.  Further, Westman's botched answer in the Abortion Debate left many confused as to what his official position was.  As a result Scott Westman's poll numbers would suffer:

Former US Senator Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula)/Former State Senator Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican-Billings) 36.51%
Governor Richard Peters (Republican-Circle)/Lieutenant Governor Gerald Schweiker (Republican-Great Falls) 23.14%
CPA Michael Oglesby (Conservative-Flathead)/Dr. Julian Masters (Conservative-Glacier) 38.42%
Other/Undecided: 1.93%

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It had seemed that once again Scott Westman was his own worst enemy.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #565 on: August 06, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2011, 02:34:43 PM by Where's my bisquick? »

Montana Presidential Election Records:

In the post New Deal era the state of Montana has been one of the most Democratic states in the nation in presidential elections.  This was mostly due to the unique political climate of the Big Sky state compared to it's neighbors.  With it's large populations of Irish Catholics, Native Americans, a strong labor union presence, and the influence of centers of liberal culture like Missoula, Bozeman, Great Falls, White Fish, and Butte has made Montana what many political pundits called "the Massachusetts of the West".  The comparison of Massachusetts and Montana would ring very true, with both states voting Democratic in every election from 1932 to 1976.  In addition to it's status as a strong Democratic state Montana also has had some very strong third party performances.  Of note the Progressive Party, which was notable for running former Commerce Secretary Henry Wallace in 1948 nation wide, would gain ballot access in Montana from 1948-1956.  The Progressive Party's best performance would happen in 1952, when the party would win over 16% of the popular vote in the 1952 Election due to the unpopularity of President Dewey in Montana and Kefauver distancing himself (at the time) from the Civil Rights Movement.  By the late 1970's libertarianism had spread from Wyoming, Oregon, and Washington......changing the political leanings of Montana almost overnight it seems.  In eight years Montana would go from electing RFK in a landslide to backing Republican (and now widely disparaged) US Senator Beauregard D'Israeli in all three elections in 1980.

1948:
President Harry S. Truman (Democratic-Missouri)/Senator Alben Barkley (Democratic-Kentucky) 54.11%

Governor Thomas E. Dewey (Republican-New York)/Governor Earl Warren (Republican-California) 34.21%
Former Secretary of Commerce Henry Wallace (Progressive-Iowa)/US Senator Glen Taylor (Progressive-Idaho) 11.21%
Other: .47%

1952:
US Senator Estes Kefauver (Democratic-Tennessee)/General James Roosevelt (Democratic-California) 53.05%

President Thomas E. Dewey (Republican-New York)/Vice President Earl Warren (Republican-California) 30.45%
US Senator James E. Murray (Progressive-Montana)/US Senator Wayne Morse (Progressive-Oregon) 16.04%
Other: .46%

1956:
President Estes Kefauver (Democratic-Tennessee)/Vice President James Roosevelt (Democratic-California) 61.25%

Former Governor Harold Stassen (Republican-Minnesota)/Representative Hugh Scott (Republican-Pennsylvania) 36.12%%
Defense Lawyer Colm Lockheed (Progressive-Minnesota)/State Senator Michael J. Elvis (Progressive-Montana) 2.03%
Other: .6%

1960:
Vice President James Roosevelt (Democratic-California)/US Senator John F. Kennedy (Democratic-Massachusetts) 57.04%

US Senator Charles C. Percy (Republican-Illinois)/US Senator Thurston B. Morton (Republican-Kentucky) 41.98%
Other: .98%

1964:
US Senator Mike Monroney (Democratic-Oklahoma)/Former Governor John Burroughs (Democratic-New Mexico) 50.24%

President Thurston B. Morton (Republican-Kentucky)/US Senator Hiram Fong (Republican-Hawaii) 48.31%
Other: 1.45%

1968:
US Senator Robert F. Kennedy (Democratic-New York)/US Senator Frank Church (Democratic-Idaho) 49.46%

Governor George Romeny (Republican-Michigan)/US Senator George HW Bush (Republican-Connecticut) 40.51%
Governor George Wallace (American Independent-Alabama)/Actor John Wayne (American Independent-California) 7.12%
Other: 2.91%

1972:
President Robert F. Kennedy (Democratic-New York)/US Senator Ronald W. Reagan (Democratic-California) 68.22%

Governor Spiro Agnew (Republican-Maryland)/Former Governor James Rhodes (Republican-Ohio) 19.03%
State Secretary of Labor Michelle Frier (People's Party-Montana)/State Representative Derek Hayes (People's Party-North Dakota) 11.80%
Other: .95%
*Constitution Party didn't make the state ballot in 1972.
The People's Party, a national Social Democratic party, would run in a number of Pacific and Rocky Mountain West states in protest of President Kennedy's economic policies.  Due to the controversy surrounding the Republican ticket, the People's Party would end up getting the votes of a lot of disaffected Republicans who couldn't get themselves to vote for Kennedy.

President Ronald W. Reagan (Democratic-California)/Vice President James "Jimmy" Carter (Democratic-Georgia) 50.10%

Former United Nations Ambassador Elliot Richardson (Republican-Massachusetts)/US Senator Robert Dole (Republican-Kansas) 46.78%
US Representative Thomas A. Jefferson (Constitution-Tennessee)/US Representative John G. Schmitz (Constitution-California) 2.12%
Other: 1%

First Election:
US Senator Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming)/US Representative Jack Kemp (Republican-New York) 29.95%

Attorney Edward Clark (Classical Liberal-California)/US Senator Scott Westman (Classical Liberal-Montana) 29.32%
US Senator Walter Mondale (Democratic Farmer Labor-Minnesota)/Former US Senator Fred Harris (Democratic-Oklahoma) 22.81%
US Representative Philip Crane (Constitution-Illinois)/US Senator Jesse Helms (Constitution-North Carolina) 15.21%
Other: 2.71%

Second Election:
US Senator Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming)/US Representative Jack Kemp (Republican-New York) 35.68%

US Senator Walter Mondale (Democratic Farmer Labor-Minnesota)/Former US Senator Fred Harris (Democratic-Oklahoma) 33.41%
US Representative Philip Crane (Constitution-Illinois)/US Senator Jesse Helms (Constitution-North Carolina) 30.41%
Other: .5%

Third Election:
US Senator Beauregard D'Israeli (Republican-Wyoming)/US Representative Jack Kemp (Republican-New York) 49.11%

US Representative Philip Crane (Constitution-Illinois)/US Senator Jesse Helms (Constitution-North Carolina) 48.99%
Write-ins: 1.9%
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #566 on: August 08, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »

November 2nd, 1984
Fourth Gubernatorial Debate:
Excerpts

Moderator:
Welcome to the Fourth Gubernatorial Debate.  This debate shall be different from the previous three in that it won't deal with any particular areas of debate and instead shall be an open forum for Montana citizens to ask questions for the candidates.  Due to unprofessionalism on the part of Democratic candidate Scott Westman he has been disallowed from the debate.  The debate shall be between Republican candidate and incumbent Richard Peters and his Conservative opponent Michael Oglesby.  Gentlemen, you may commence.
A woman stands up in the audience with a microphone.
Woman: Gentlemen, in the wake of Westman's disbarment from this debate we haven't heard any statements on your stance on his status.  Considering that he was participating, willingly, in a debate and then was dragged out by force, including a punch to the face by the security officer, isn't his ejection from this debate wrong?
Richard Peters picks up his microphone.
Peters: What Mister Westman displayed was crude and crass unprofessionalism.  The shocking disrespect he showed towards the moderator was beyond any reasonable measurements of rudeness and disrespect for the rules.  He deserved to be barred from this debate, and for good reason.
Oglesby: I disagree.  Whether I approve of Westman's outburst or not he had the right to express such views.  These debates are supposed to let the candidates enlighten the public about their views.  To deny Westman the opportunity to appear before these people and answer any random question about his views is simply undemocratic and unAmerican.
Voice: I AGREE!
The audience looks back and sees Scott Westman and Carl Herschelwitz standing in the back.  There is loud gasps of shock as Westman walks up to the center stage with his main advisor.  The moderator is shocked silent.
Mod: Mister Westman, you were explicitly banned from showing up to this debate!
Mister Westman puts his index finger to his chin with a dumb look on his face.  Suddenly, Carl Herschelwitz steps forward with a metal briefcase and slams it on an empty debate podium.  He opens it up and brings out a contract.
Herschelwitz: You know what this is, asshole?
Mod: I will not be spoken to in such a manner!  Where is your respect!?
Herschelwitz: I'm sorry your honor: Do you know what this is, Mister Asshole?
Mod: That is the contract that Mister Westman signed for the debates, AND I STILL DEMAND TO BE TREATED WITH THE RESPECT AFFORDED ME!
Herschelwitz: There is nothing in this contract that specifies respect for you, Mister Rockwell!  In fact there is even a clause that says that in the event that a physical altercation happens that results in harm upon a debate participant that the fault falls upon the party guilty for the conditions leading to such an assault.  In other words, you Mister Rockwell are guilty of leading to the conditions of the assault on Scott Westman.  If you have any respect for the rules of the contract you will get the Hell out of here and let the audience be the moderators!
The audience erupts in cheers.
Steven Rockwell, the moderator, walks away in anger muttering underneath his breath.
Westman: Shall we continue?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #567 on: August 08, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2011, 06:53:13 AM by Rip Marky Mark »

Fourth Gubernatorial Debate Cont.
Excerpt

Woman:
Mister Westman, what would you do about this state's statutory rape laws?
Scott Westman walks out from behind his podium and then addresses the crowd.
Westman: The statutory rape laws in this state, much like the rest of this country, are actually pretty draconian.  It is insane that it is considered unnatural for 20 year old males and 15 year old females to have relations.  I mean really, it is like we are giving common sense and nature the finger.
Peters: There is so much wrong with that statement I don't even know where to start.
Westman: You could start with crawling out of your ass.  We shouldn't legislate human nature you know.
Oglesby: By your argument we shouldn't try murderers and thieves because it is natural for people to want other peoples' stuff or be so angry to take another person's life.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Wow, you guys are so desperate you are resorting to slippery slope?
Oglesby: Wow you are so desperate you are using the ridiculous "human nature" argument?  Face it man, you are washed up!  You are letting your own personal bias cloud rational judgement in this!  I mean I realize you were in love with lil Marci, but there is a difference between a young woman of 17 and a girl who is 15!
Westman: What difference?  Two years!?
Peters: At first it'll be "just two years!?" difference when we are talking about lowering the age from 16 to 14.  Next thing you know people like Scott Westman will be arguing that there is only "two years difference" between a 14 year old and a 12 year old.  And how sexist of Scott, to only argue the female hormones at the age of 15 instead of talking about how many inner pedophiliac tendencies there are in a lot of adult men that are best restrained thanks to the statutory laws.
Westman: That is a ridiculous statement and you know it.  A vast majority of adult men are with adult women who are on average 2-7 years younger than them.  If given the chance they wouldn't be nailing high schoolers left and right, and you guys know that.  These laws help no one but lazy prosecutors who can't put forth the effort to prove that a case for rape exists in certain cases by using the retarded "age" argument.

Man: What is your opinion about the soda tax?
Oglesby: I think it's pretty stupid.
Westman: Agreed, much like the liquor tax.  You can't drink crap in this state without getting hit by the tax.
Peters: You try funding some of the state projects with just a sales tax?  It isn't easy.
Westman: Or you could just no spend like an ebil progressive "socialist" maybe!?
Peters: Shut up.

Woman: Senator, why are you such a f****t?
Westman laughs.
Westman: I always favored the taste of some nice f****ts in the morning, especially ones dipped in gravy.
Man: HEY SENATOR!  GO SUCK A DICK!
Westman waves and chuckles at the guy.
Westman: After you!  I insist.

Woman: How do all of the accusations that you are a homosexual impact you emotionally, Senator?
Westman: I laugh it all off.  I mean why shouldn't I?  I have fathered three children and I've been married for almost a year and a half.  If I was so gay why do I keep having kids or why do I keep having sex with women?  I mean it doesn't make sense.  It's funny really.
Oglesby: May I interject?
Westman: Go ahead.
Oglesby: I really fail to see what discussions like this have to do with the debate.
Westman: Well I agree my good man.  But this woman asked the question and I had to give an answer.  I really don't understand the obsession with my social life at all, but in this day and age I have to address such questions.

Man: Senator, why do you keep turning your back on labor?  And do you really expect real progressives to rush the ballots for you after you have consistently tried to portray yourself as the new right wing meat?
Peters: Sorry, but the idea that Westman is the new right wing meat is hilarious.  He is perhaps the most radically liberal candidate that's run for office in this state, bar none.  Don't expect us to fall for this charade that he is actually a right winger because we know that's just a talking point for him to score huge with Republicans and other conservatives.
Oglesby: Whatever man.  He is quite to the right of you.  However, I disagree with the young man.  I am the right wing meat, not Westman.
Portion of the audience applauds.
Westman: Come on man!  What do you expect me to be in this state?  A full on union progressive?  There are more than one market in the Democratic Party than unions!  Seriously man!  What do you want from me!?  A pay raise!?  Fine, you guys can have your pay raises once I get sworn in okay!  That'll be the first thing I'll do!

Westman's explosion at the end of the debate in which he promised to increase the salaries of state union workers resulted in a surge in approval for Westman.  Labor support, which was lukewarm for Westman, exploded overnight.  Many pundits would say that the fourth debate would be the one that saved the Westman campaign.  The debate would also give a last minute push for the incumbent Governor, who was falling behind on the polls.

Gubernatorial Results:

Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula)/Mendelik D'Israeli (Republican-Billings) 41.96%
Michael Oglesby (Conservative-Flathead)/Julian Masters (Conservative-Glacier) 34.12%
Richard Peters (Republican-Circle)/Gerald Schweiker (Republican-Great Falls) 23%
Others: .92%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #568 on: August 08, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »

C'mon Montana, you've got the nerve!
Vote for Oglesby cause Westman's a perv!

Anyway, yeah, can't say Im on Scott's side in the rape debate.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #569 on: August 08, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »

But dude, don't you want to bone high schoolers?
lol get it?  Because you're in high school?!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #570 on: August 08, 2011, 03:38:13 PM »

Does the law apply between high schoolers? Oh yeah, and I saw what you wrote in wite
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #571 on: August 08, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »

Does the law apply between high schoolers? Oh yeah, and I saw what you wrote in wite

I'm not really sure actually.
I think in some places it isn't legal for high schoolers to "HUH YEAH!" but in other places it's okay as long as both parties are under 18.  Or in some cases there is a "Romeo and Juliet" cause in which it's okay if like the older party isn't too old.
I'm not really an expert on it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #572 on: August 08, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »

Does the law apply between high schoolers? Oh yeah, and I saw what you wrote in white

I'm not really sure actually.
I think in some places it isn't legal for high schoolers to "HUH YEAH!" but in other places it's okay as long as both parties are under 18.  Or in some cases there is a "Romeo and Juliet" cause in which it's okay if like the older party isn't too old.
I'm not really an expert on it.

In either case, I'm not the most likely of candidates to get some, so I don't think I really have much to worry about.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #573 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »

Update on the Presidential Election:

Expect something up about the results of the Presidential Election after the Gubernatorial Election results.  I didn't do this for any particular reason, other than that I wanted the 1984 election season to be more focused on Westman's run for Governor than the national election.  So yeah, the Gubernatorial results will be up soon (probably tonight).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #574 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »

November 5th, 1984
Westman Rally
Missoula, Montana:

Scott Westman is standing before the massive crowd near the Clark River Park.  He bgins to speak:
Westman: Good evening my fellow Montanans.  Tomorrow is a very big day.  Tomorrow is the day that Democrats, Republicans, Conservatives, Independents, and people of all walks of life vote for true change in this country.  I believe that with your help we will make a difference.  With your help me and Mendelik we can change this state for the better.  It doesn't matter whether you vote for Fred Harris, or Michael Harrison, or Phil Crane, or a third party, as long as you vote for what you believe is right.  I can't force a vote on you, but I can say with clarity that I believe in myself, I believe in my running mate, and I believe in the people of this state.  I know this sounds cliche and this sounds cheesy, but damn I'm proud to be a Montanan.  I believe with your help, your trust, and your courage we can turn this state around and make us the envy of a nation.  Not only that, but we can help make this region, the Mountain West, a region to be envied.  The people of other states, the people of Idaho, the people of Wyoming, the people of Utah, the people of Colorado, the people of Nevada, the people of Arizona, the people of New Mexico, the people of Washington, and the people of Oregon are looking to us, here in Montana, to set the stage for a grand cultural revolution in this nation.  A revolution based on the ideals of individuality and freedom of choice that has made this area of the country the grandest of them all.  It is tomorrow that we stop the march of Northeast Republicanism and that of southern moralism from taking over the culture of our grand region.  The eyes of all Western America is on us, to make a statement tomorrow in that voting booth.  Together we can.

Westman's last speech before the 1984 Elections would be lauded as a landmark speech for it's appeals of regional pride amongst the western states.  It would be the beginning of a new nationalism, an era of cultural pride amongst the states of Western America.  A region long neglected on the national scene would find it's hero in one named Westman.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies