Why Did Eisenhower Carry LA in 1956?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:21:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why Did Eisenhower Carry LA in 1956?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Did Eisenhower Carry LA in 1956?  (Read 2096 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »

Any ideas? Why did Eisenhower carry that solidly Democratic state for the first time since Reconstruction?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »

LA was close in 1952, and thus when the country swung to Ike, LA swung with it. Keep in mind that without an option for "Upledged", Ike would have won LA by a narrow 53-47 margin, rather than the 53-40-7 margin he won in RL. As for why LA was close initially (in 1952), I'd guess that Stevenson was too much of a Northern liberal for many Louisana voters and also many normally Democratic voters admired Ike for his war hero status and thus voted for him. Han, do you have any guesses for my question about Michigan's results in 1884? The thread is a couple threads below this one.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:07:02 PM »

LA was close in 1952, and thus when the country swung to Ike, LA swung with it. Keep in mind that without an option for "Upledged", Ike would have won LA by a narrow 53-47 margin, rather than the 53-40-7 margin he won in RL. As for why LA was close initially (in 1952), I'd guess that Stevenson was too much of a Northern liberal for many Louisana voters and also many normally Democratic voters admired Ike for his war hero status and thus voted for him. Han, do you have any guesses for my question about Michigan's results in 1884? The thread is a couple threads below this one.

How do you know 100% of "Unpledged" would have gone to Stevenson?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:35:02 PM »

Then why wasn't he too northern for Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »

LA is further out than those states. It's thet deep south but is it as culturally influenced? Minorities voted GOP back then.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »

LA is further out than those states. It's thet deep south but is it as culturally influenced? Minorities voted GOP back then.

According to the 1950 Census, Louisiana was 69% white.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:24:24 PM »

I would actually like see a map of Louisiana in 1956.  I would bet Ike actually carried the now heavily Democratic Orleans parish and lost the rural parishes.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »

I would actually like see a map of Louisiana in 1956.  I would bet Ike actually carried the now heavily Democratic Orleans parish and lost the rural parishes.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f5/1956prescountymap.PNG

Smiley
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »

One other thing I never understood was why the South all of a sudden became much closer in the 50s when compared to election maps in the 40s. Any ideas?

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »

One other thing I never understood was why the South all of a sudden became much closer in the 50s when compared to election maps in the 40s. Any ideas?

Well the Solid South had already fallen apart for the Democrats in 1948 over racial issues. A good Republican candidate probably could have carried Virginia, Tennessee and Florida in 48, but not a boring loser like Dewey.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

Louisiana (and Texas) had some areas where Blacks voted in that period (while early in the solid south period, it's North Carolina that has the Black voters.)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »

Libertas, for once, is 100% correct.  By the 1950s, the transition of party support bases associated with the 60s was already well underway (indeed, one could argue that the transition had been slowly occurring since the death of FDR).

Louisiana (and Texas) had some areas where Blacks voted in that period (while early in the solid south period, it's North Carolina that has the Black voters.)

This is also true, and Eisenhower did fairly well among Northern Blacks.  Had the GOP played its cards differently in that era, it could've been the party that ended up getting 90% of the black vote every Presidential election.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:26 PM »

Libertas, for once, is 100% correct.  By the 1950s, the transition of party support bases associated with the 60s was already well underway (indeed, one could argue that the transition had been slowly occurring since the death of FDR).

If not since the intra-Democratic Civil War between Good Ole Boys and New Dealers that many Southern states witnessed in the late 30s and early 40s; and the unionization attempts of the late 30s, which frequently carried a pro-integration ethos (but were perfectly willing to compromise on the issue).
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »

How do you know 100% of "Unpledged" would have gone to Stevenson?

Just a guess, since the Democratic machine was very strong in LA back then. Even though I was estimating and probably being too generous.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »

LA was a little less Democratic than those states. Also, Stevenson had a Southern VP, which helped.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=94805.0

It offers much better analysis and answers than Rochambeau's pathetically mundane and stupid answers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies