Results by Congressional District
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:34:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Results by Congressional District
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Results by Congressional District  (Read 3383 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:50:08 AM »
« edited: June 13, 2010, 03:18:57 AM by Moderate Hero »

These are the 2008 results if all states voted like Maine and Nebraska. If anyone has such results for any other elections, feel free to post.

Republican delegates won, by state:

236 electoral votes

West: 91 electoral votes
South: 102 electoral votes
Midwest: 26 electoral votes
Northeast: 17 electoral votes

Democratic delegates won, by state:

302 electoral votes

West: 91 electoral votes
South: 57 electoral votes
Midwest: 70 electoral votes
Northeast: 84 electoral votes

Gain in delegates for statewide loser by state:

Net winner of delegates by state:

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:21:09 AM »

302-236

That would give Obama 56.4% of EVs and McCain 44.1%. That would be much more representative of the popular vote, which gave Obama 52.9% and McCain 45.6%.

By contrast, the current winner-take-all system gives Obama 67.8% of the EVs and McCain 32.2%, way off from the popular vote results.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:29:27 AM »

True, but in other elections such as 2000 and 2004 it is much less representative of the popular vote than the winner-take-all method. If the election is close (the only time in which the system used actually matters), it will almost certainly be less representative.

Also, if you think gerrymandering is bad now, just wait and see what it would look like under this system....
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:52:10 AM »

Good work.  I was hoping to see something like this.

It's more representative of the popular vote, yes, but still way off.  The problem with applying a system like Maine-Nebraska to the whole nation is that you're still maintaining a winner-take-all system; albeit on a slightly more localized scale.

For example, currently the people in, say, KS-01 who vote for Democratic presidential candidates have their votes completely ignored once the whole state of Kansas elects a 100% Republican slate of electors.  If Maine-Nebraska were implemented, the people of KS-01 would still have their votes ignored once the district votes for its sole Republican elector.

And then of course there's the gerrymandering factor.  The only way to counter this would be to have the House Representative-equivalent quotient of each state's electoral votes be elected proportionally rather than by the specific district.

But then of course you still have the argument that the states themselves could be considered gerrymandered.  In 2000, for example, Bush didn't win a plurality of the popular vote, and yet won nearly 59% of the actual states+DC.  That means that he won 60 of the Senator-equivalent electoral votes to Gore's 42, again having lost the popular vote.

It seems the only way to make the electoral college legitimately representative of the popular vote is to match it 1:1; i.e. to abolish it in effect.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:54:47 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2010, 04:00:04 AM by Jeff Vader »

Oh and also, look at Indiana and Missouri.  Obama won Indiana's statewide popular vote, and lost Missouri's by a margin of 0.13%, and yet in each case McCain won six districts to three.

There are a bunch more examples, and of course it all comes back to the gerrymandering issue.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 05:03:14 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2010, 06:02:22 AM by Moderate Hero »

Same information for the 2004 election. I'm just kind of killing time due to insomnia so if anyone spots any errors, let me know. Bush taking nearly 60% of Michigan's delegates seemed a bit strange unless I screwed up. Atlas only has Cong Dist results for some states so I had to resort to other sources.

West: 115
Midwest: 57
South: 115
Northeast: 25
312 electoral votes

West: 67
Midwest: 39
South: 44
Northeast: 76
226 electoral votes

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:17:11 AM »

And, 2000...

West: 106
Midwest: 51
South: 111
Northeast: 19
287 electoral votes

West: 70
Midwest: 50
South: 44
Northeast: 87
251 electoral votes

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »

You see, Kerry loses MI, gets tied in MN, takes only 25% of OH seats despite losing the State by a 2% margin, and has only a 3 seats majority in PA.

Congressional districts suck.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »

You see, Kerry loses MI, gets tied in MN, takes only 25% of OH seats despite losing the State by a 2% margin, and has only a 3 seats majority in PA.

Congressional districts suck.

There's no reason why voters in those congressional districts should have their votes disregarded just because another candidate won a larger artificial boundary they happen to be located within. If Michigan and Indiana happened to have been one state, I doubt you would think it fair that Bush took all the votes in all the districts of both states as he would under winner-take-all.

Congressional districts are far better than what we have now, and would be even better if we just stopped Republocrat gerrymandering.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »

The problem is that you won't stop gerrymandering. It's the congenital disease of every system using constituency voting.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 08:32:45 PM »

For example, currently the people in, say, KS-01 who vote for Democratic presidential candidates have their votes completely ignored once the whole state of Kansas elects a 100% Republican slate of electors.  If Maine-Nebraska were implemented, the people of KS-01 would still have their votes ignored once the district votes for its sole Republican elector.

But compare Nebraska and Kansas. Both states at-large voted about 56.5-41.6 McCain. Within them, however, NE-02 and KS-03 both voted about 51% for Obama. Nebraska cast one of its' electors to Obama and the people of NE-02 were represented. Kansas cast all of its electors for McCain and ignored the winner of KS-03. You think Kansas has the better system than Nebraska?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »

You clearly misunderstood my post if you think I believe that Kansas has the better system than Nebraska.  People who live in KS-03 who voted for Obama had their votes disregarded, but if Kansas used the Maine-Nebraska method, then the people in KS-03 who voted for McCain would have their votes disregarded instead.

As I said before, the only way to ensure that nobody's votes are disregarded is either to ensure parity between the electoral college and the popular vote, or abolish the electoral college altogether.
defe07

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »

Libertas, how were you able to modify the numbers? Which sources did you use? Because I'd like to know how to make an EV map candidate by candidate. Smiley
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »

You clearly misunderstood my post if you think I believe that Kansas has the better system than Nebraska.  People who live in KS-03 who voted for Obama had their votes disregarded, but if Kansas used the Maine-Nebraska method, then the people in KS-03 who voted for McCain would have their votes disregarded instead.

But those are the two systems being compared here. One is used in 48 states, and the other, in 2.

One benefit of the Maine-Nebraska system, even if it didn't match up perfectly with the popular vote, is that it would make it worthwhile for candidates to spend time in places other than the big swing states. Obama had reason to pay attention to NE-02 (in fact I recall at one point the Obama campaign believed that winning that district was the key to coming out on top in a 269-269 tie they foresaw happening). A lot of districts in "safe" states would actually get some attention from the presidential candidates, since every single district would count equally.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What about proportional representation?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »

Libertas, how were you able to modify the numbers? Which sources did you use? Because I'd like to know how to make an EV map candidate by candidate. Smiley

You can modify the numbers manually.

When you put the map in your post, you'll see all the state abbreviations followed by three numbers. Change the second number.

AL=2;8;8
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »

But those are the two systems being compared here. One is used in 48 states, and the other, in 2.

Sure, but I'm picking holes in both systems because I don't think that either of them are really any good.

One benefit of the Maine-Nebraska system, even if it didn't match up perfectly with the popular vote, is that it would make it worthwhile for candidates to spend time in places other than the big swing states. Obama had reason to pay attention to NE-02 (in fact I recall at one point the Obama campaign believed that winning that district was the key to coming out on top in a 269-269 tie they foresaw happening). A lot of districts in "safe" states would actually get some attention from the presidential candidates, since every single district would count equally.

I can agree that that's certainly an improvement, but opening up Republican localities in otherwise safe Democratic states (and vice versa) is also a feature of electoral college abolition.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What about proportional representation?

As I pointed out already, that would certainly help counter the gerrymandering issue.  However, look at states with small populations.  Distributing the electoral votes proportionally in states like Montana (McCain 49%; Obama 47%) doesn't really work when McCain still wins all three votes.  Even in states with only four EVs, a narrow margin of victory for one candidate would still cause a 3-1 distribution of the electors.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 11:05:07 PM »

The Michigan 2004 results help to illustrate how well the GOP gerrymandered the districts here in the last round of redistricting.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 11:10:59 PM »

Yes, some congressional districts would become more important under the district system (swing districts in non swing states) but just as many would become less so (non swing districts in swing states).
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »

Yes, some congressional districts would become more important under the district system (swing districts in non swing states) but just as many would become less so (non swing districts in swing states).

Why would a candidate spend a lot of time in safe districts anyway? I don't think there's any sensible system that would make it worthwhile for a candidate to focus a lot of resources on the Bronx or the Oklahoma panhandle.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »

Why would a candidate spend a lot of time in safe districts anyway? I don't think there's any sensible system that would make it worthwhile for a candidate to focus a lot of resources on the Bronx or the Oklahoma panhandle.

Why is it any less sensible to attempt to get these votes than the votes of anyone else?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »

Popular vote. Could you imagine the rallies Obama could put together in the Bronx if he wanted to? On second thought, it's probably better not to...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »

The electoral college is an anti-democratic anachronism that needs scraped in favor of pure popular vote. While in theory the ME-NE system is slightly more democratic, in practice it's only purpose for nationwide implementation is to ensure Republicans win the electoral college even if they lose the popular vote by several million.

If someone is willing to build on Libertas's work to determine at what point in the national vote (assuming each CD vote tracked national changes) it would take McCain to win the EC, or Gore in 2000, you'll see my point quite vividly.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »

Why is it any less sensible to attempt to get these votes than the votes of anyone else?

Well, for one thing, those voters aren't sensible to begin with.  McCain could have spent the whole campaign in D.C. and still not broken out of the single digits. Obama could have spent the whole campaign in Oklahoma and still not have broken 40%.

The candidates should focus on undecided voters who are willing to become informed on the choices they face, not on party-line hacks.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »

Popular vote. Could you imagine the rallies Obama could put together in the Bronx if he wanted to? On second thought, it's probably better not to...

I said sensible system. Thank you for illustrating another reason why using the national popular vote would be such a terrible system.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »

The electoral college is an anti-democratic anachronism that needs scraped in favor of pure popular vote. While in theory the ME-NE system is slightly more democratic, in practice it's only purpose for nationwide implementation is to ensure Republicans win the electoral college even if they lose the popular vote by several million.

If someone is willing to build on Libertas's work to determine at what point in the national vote (assuming each CD vote tracked national changes) it would take McCain to win the EC, or Gore in 2000, you'll see my point quite vividly.

For Gore to win in 2000 under the Maine-Nebraska method, he would have needed to pick up 18 electoral votes. Assuming a uniform swing from Bush to Gore and no change in third party votes, these 18 votes would have been the first to flip:

FL (Statewide) (0.01% margin) 2 votes
VA-4 (0.20% margin) 1 vote
FL-8 (0.28% margin) 1 vote
MI-10 (0.53% margin) 1 vote
WA-3 (0.85% margin) 1 vote
PA-21 (0.90% margin) 1 vote
NH (Statewide) (1.27% margin) 2 votes
IA-3 (1.40% margin) 1 vote
AR-2 (1.42% margin) 1 vote
MN-1 (1.68% margin) 1 vote
MN-6 (1.97% margin) 1 vote
FL-7 (2.06% margin) 1 vote