The epic fail that was Prop. 16 (California)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:04:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The epic fail that was Prop. 16 (California)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The epic fail that was Prop. 16 (California)  (Read 1304 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »

$45 million spent for it by PG&E
$90,000 spent against.

It was said that this was an ant beating Goliath.

Look at the correlation between whether you have PG&E

and how you voted.

http://vote.sos.ca.gov/maps/prop16.htm

PG&E's problem was that too many voters were their customers.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »

Haha, that's hilarious. Excellent find.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »

Indeed. Great insight. It was a very confusing proposition. I mean, do I like the idea of cities getting into the utility business? No. That seems like a frightening thought, particularly when I consider the quality of the folks running cities. The idea of them running some relatively complex business strikes me as terrifying. Do I like monopolies? No. So ... ?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »

Indeed. Great insight. It was a very confusing proposition. I mean, do I like the idea of cities getting into the utility business? No. That seems like a frightening thought, particularly when I consider the quality of the folks running cities. The idea of them running some relatively complex business strikes me as terrifying. Do I like monopolies? No. So ... ?

It might have done better if it had just attacked municipal electricity monopolies, but attacking municipal competition as well seems like a losing proposition. I suppose PG&E bit off more than they could chew.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2010, 08:31:34 PM by Lunar »

Um, what's the argument in favor of Prop 16 exactly?  Why should it take a two-thirds majority by the voters for every time a municipality to agency to sell electricity?  I understand why one wouldn't want a public agency to get involved in utilities, but what's wrong with the status quo?

And why should it be two thirds rather than a simple majority?  It'd be hard to find two thirds of California voters to vote "Rape is bad" let alone some public utility measure.

Yeah, same here.  But what event served as the catalyst for this?  I don't agree with cities getting into the utility business, but why is this a statewide issue?  It's confusing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »

It's a statewide issue becasue PG&E made it so.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:08:04 PM »

The answer Lunar is that I have no idea.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:31:47 PM »

It'd be hard to find two thirds of California voters to vote "Rape is bad" let alone some public utility measure.

If the "Rape is bad" measure is supported by a PG&E or Edison, then yeah, it would fail.

I agree this was too extreme of a proposition to pass and they would've been a lot better off if they tried to achieve their goals incrementally.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »

Yeah, same here.  But what event served as the catalyst for this?  I don't agree with cities getting into the utility business, but why is this a statewide issue?  It's confusing.

I think Marin county dared to try start their own electric company. Something to do with using more renewables or whatever. I don't know whatever happened to that plan but PG&E certainly got scared.

I think Fresno's results are especially hilarious. Something to do with "smart" meters I am assuming.
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/05/11/1929920/pge-admits-meters-issues.html
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »

Yeah, same here.  But what event served as the catalyst for this?  I don't agree with cities getting into the utility business, but why is this a statewide issue?  It's confusing.

I think Marin county dared to try start their own electric company. Something to do with using more renewables or whatever. I don't know whatever happened to that plan but PG&E certainly got scared.

I think Fresno's results are especially hilarious. Something to do with "smart" meters I am assuming.
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/05/11/1929920/pge-admits-meters-issues.html

San Francisco voted on municipalizing electricity back in 2008 as well. It ended up failing by a large margin.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies