Tea Partiers support cutting military budget?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 06:53:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Tea Partiers support cutting military budget?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tea Partiers support cutting military budget?  (Read 2649 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 02:53:15 AM »

So they lose money here and there. I'm sure it goes to a good cause whether it's to the companies that make our weapons or to the families of our soldiers. What about all the money wasted on welfare for people who don't want to work but would rather me bust my ass and pay taxes for their food stamps? That offends me.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05:55 AM »

So they lose money here and there. I'm sure it goes to a good cause whether it's to the companies that make our weapons or to the families of our soldiers. What about all the money wasted on welfare for people who don't want to work but would rather me bust my ass and pay taxes for their food stamps? That offends me.

Does it strike at the roots of your values?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 02:07:43 AM »

Does what strike the roots of my values?
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 02:11:13 AM »

Welfare.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 02:12:07 AM »

Welfare.

I support 6 month term limits for welfare recipients. The same goes with unemployment benefits. Must choose between the 2.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:17 AM »

Welfare.

I support 6 month term limits for welfare recipients. The same goes with unemployment benefits. Must choose between the 2.

Even during recessions?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 02:17:58 AM »

Wait, so if the Defense misplaces $10 billion, it's likely going to a good cause, but if HUD misplaces a dime it was a waste of your money?

How could you just assume contracted weapons defense companies aren't pocketing government money and public housing isn't really building houses?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 02:19:39 AM »

Wait, so if the Defense misplaces $10 billion, it's likely going to a good cause, but if HUD misplaces a dime it was a waste of your money?

How could you just assume contracted weapons defense companies aren't pocketing government money and public housing isn't really building houses?

I never said they weren't pocketing money. I don't want to make them angry.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 02:26:20 AM »

What's wrong with making the CEO of Lockheed Martin angry?

Why is it ok to make Arne Duncan cry?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 02:39:17 AM »

They won't make us weapons anymore.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 02:47:50 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2010, 02:49:21 AM by King »

You got it backwards, son.

The weapon companies need us.  Not the other way around.  We have the power because without our money they have nothing.

If they stop making weapons for us, they have to shut down and file for bankruptcy.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 02:52:10 AM »

You got it backwards, son.

The weapon companies need us.  Not the other way around.  We have the power because without our money they have nothing.

If they stop making weapons for us, they have to shut down and file for bankruptcy.

That's true but what if they sell weapons to other countries in the name of free trade. Or say a billionaire had enough money to buy weapons and store them in their basement. I really don't think there's anything illegal about that. You make a good point though. However, if our government could have said no we'll pay you X instead of Y because X is more affordable, then we they would've done so years ago.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 02:57:42 AM »

If free trade and right to bear arms means selling nukes to our enemies and storing militia arsenals in billionaire's basements, then sign me up for trade law and gun control.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 02:59:58 AM »

If free trade and right to bear arms means selling nukes to our enemies and storing militia arsenals in billionaire's basements, then sign me up for trade law and gun control.

Well that's the down side of free trade and gun rights. Most people can't afford billions of dollars worth of weapons in their basement but technically there's nothing illegal to stop someone from selling nukes over the internet.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »

Actually I think the Patriot Act made that illegal if it's to an enemy of the U.S. and the act is done within US soil. Plus it could be viewed as a terroristic threat.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »

Good to hear. However, I'd bet that if you polled tea baggers asking who they blamed for the bloated military budget that the majority of them would blame Obama/Democrats and not Reagan/Bush I&II.

Why stop at Reagan? The country has never really demilitarized since the dark days of FDR.

Not so.Truman did attempt to demilitarize after World War II.

For instance, as of 24 June 1948 (start of the Berlin Blockade) the U.S. Navy had just six carriers in commission, the three Midway-class carriers, and three of the Essex-class carriers (Boxer, Leyte, and Kearsarge).  Only one battleship was in commission (Missouri).  Seven capital ships in all, making for a smaller Navy than had been seen since before World War I.

Granted, the Navy suffered the most of the services under the draw down that occurred between World War II and the Korean War, but all of the military was heavily pruned.

Truman didn't do anything to dismantle the global military empire left over from World War II, and in fact got us geared up for the first of a long series of undeclared wars, Korea. Of course military spending fell after the end of World War II, but we never returned to a true pre-war peacetime economy.

Eisenhower did make an attempt to hold down military expenditures, however milquetoast his efforts may have been.

looks like defense spending went down during Ike, Nixon, and Reagan's 2nd term through Clinton's first.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »

Good to hear. However, I'd bet that if you polled tea baggers asking who they blamed for the bloated military budget that the majority of them would blame Obama/Democrats and not Reagan/Bush I&II.

Why stop at Reagan? The country has never really demilitarized since the dark days of FDR.

For instance, as of 24 June 1948 (start of the Berlin Blockade) the U.S. Navy had just six carriers in commission, the three Midway-class carriers, and three of the Essex-class carriers (Boxer, Leyte, and Kearsarge).  Only one battleship was in commission (Missouri).  Seven capital ships in all, making for a smaller Navy than had been seen since before World War I.

Granted, the Navy suffered the most of the services under the draw down that occurred between World War II and the Korean War, but all of the military was heavily pruned.

Truman didn't do anything to dismantle the global military empire left over from World War II, and in fact got us geared up for the first of a long series of undeclared wars, Korea. Of course military spending fell after the end of World War II, but we never returned to a true pre-war peacetime economy.

Eisenhower did make an attempt to hold down military expenditures, however milquetoast his efforts may have been.

looks like defense spending went down during Ike, Nixon, and Reagan's 2nd term through Clinton's first.
It went down in the first two cases due to the ending of the Korean and Vietnam Wars, respectively.

Reagan's military budget only went down after it reached a peak of increased military spending for no good reason.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »

And it led to 9/11.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies