1976 election, if held today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976 election, if held today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976 election, if held today  (Read 2615 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »

How would it have turned out?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:29:03 AM »

Ford wins 395-143.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »

404-134
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:58:56 PM »

lol. Ford could just portray Carter as a failure while pointing out that he actually did a good job as President.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »

lol. Ford could just portray Carter as a failure while pointing out that he actually did a good job as President.

Carter wasn't President in 1976.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »

What's your point? I'm asking how the 1976 election would have looked like had it been held today. And last time I checked, people today think that Ford was a more successful and better President than Carter.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »

What's your point? I'm asking how the 1976 election would have looked like had it been held today. And last time I checked, people today think that Ford was a more successful and better President than Carter.

Had the 1976 election been held today, Carter would have just been governor of Georgia, not the president.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »

Had the 1976 election been held today, Carter would have just been governor of Georgia, not the president.

Well, actually the former. Wink Anyway, what was so great about Ford?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »

He is perceived as better than Carter. At least the inflation rate greatly decreased under his watch, while it greatly increased under Carter. Anyway, in asking this question (as with similar questions for all elections), I meant that both candidates are in their prime and are running for President today. However, the American people also get to see everything that happened so far up to the present day, including Carter's horrible Presidency.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 10:25:54 PM »

He is perceived as better than Carter. At least the inflation rate greatly decreased under his watch, while it greatly increased under Carter. Anyway, in asking this question (as with similar questions for all elections), I meant that both candidates are in their prime and are running for President today. However, the American people also get to see everything that happened so far up to the present day, including Carter's horrible Presidency.

Seriously? Is that all you care about? Not a serious, and successful, push for cooperation in the Middle East, or trying to solve energy problems that we are still trying to solve today because no one took him seriously? Or having the guts to go on national television and read the complaints against him (by members of his own party!)? Or, having the guts to tell Americans, in the same national address, that there is a "Crisis of Confidence" in America. Which, of course, is exactly right. Or, admit that many of his own agenda has not been implemented or been successful enough? I can go on...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »

Seriously? Is that all you care about? Not a serious, and successful, push for cooperation in the Middle East, or trying to solve energy problems that we are still trying to solve today because no one took him seriously? Or having the guts to go on national television and read the complaints against him (by members of his own party!)? Or, having the guts to tell Americans, in the same national address, that there is a "Crisis of Confidence" in America. Which, of course, is exactly right. Or, admit that many of his own agenda has not been implemented or been successful enough? I can go on...

I'm not saying I don't admire some of Carter's achievements (like the Israel-Egypt peace treaty) or that he didn't have any good ideas. I'm just saying that Carter is perceived as a failure due to his failure to handle hyperinflation and to bring the hostages home. Thus, Ford would easily beat Carter if people had to pick between both of them in their prime years today, sicne they would already know what Carter's Presidency looked like.
cpeeks
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 01:53:43 AM »

Well if everything was like it was in 1976 I am sure it would come the same.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »

A competetive campaign, but in the end a clear Ford victory with Ford winning between 300 and 320 electoral votes.

Out of curiousity, what's your rationale for Carter doing so well?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 02:32:32 PM »

A competetive campaign, but in the end a clear Ford victory with Ford winning between 300 and 320 electoral votes.

He is more respected today...some people still have trouble with Ford pardoning Nixon.

Interesting. Even though I'm sure most Americans either remmeber or know about the hostage crisis, and many of them are not too keen to forgive Carter for failing to bring the hostages home.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »

He is more respected today...some people still have trouble with Ford pardoning Nixon.

Interesting. Even though I'm sure most Americans either remmeber or know about the hostage crisis, and many of them are not too keen to forgive Carter for failing to bring the hostages home.
Thats why ford still wins by a pretty comfortable margin.

I wouldn't call 300-320 EVs comfortable.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »

Thats why ford still wins by a pretty comfortable margin.

I wouldn't call 300-320 EVs comfortable.
It is more comfortable than 270-290

Yeah, but it's still not comfortable historically.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »

Well he sort of did. The Irainians agreed to let them out, but only after Reagan became the president, so he (Carter) would look bad.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »

Well he sort of did. The Irainians agreed to let them out, but only after Reagan became the president, so he (Carter) would look bad.

Yeah, but that would mean (at least in the minds of most americans) that Reagan brought the hostages home and not Carter, which would still make Carter look like a huge failure.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies