A Democratic lock on the White House? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:27:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  A Democratic lock on the White House? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Democratic lock on the White House?  (Read 5564 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:47:14 AM »

That's possible, and I personally hope so. That said, only future will tell us if you are right.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:01:55 AM »

That's possible, and I personally hope so. That said, only future will tell us if you are right.

The downside to this is that Democrats would likely become a permanent deep minority in Congress.

What makes you think so ?
They just got an unseen majority in the Senate, and depite this being a very bad cycle they are anything but sure to lose it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:14:26 AM »

The downside to this is that Democrats would likely become a permanent deep minority in Congress.

What makes you think so ?
They just got an unseen majority in the Senate, and depite this being a very bad cycle they are anything but sure to lose it.

They might be able to keep the Senate(although they would probably lose it for a term from 2014-2016), but the House would be on lock for Republicans forever.  I dont think Democrats can afford to have two very bad House elections within four years of each other(as would happen in 2010 and 2014). When this happened to Republicans in 1954 and 1958, it shut them out of a majority for two generations.

So, what does it mean ? There is no particular reason to think democrats will lose the House in 2010, let alone 2014. And even if it was the case, how can two House year give us a prediction for several decades ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »

Serious articles were written in the 1980s claiming that there was a Republican 'lock' on the White House. Such claims were nonsense then and are nonsense now.

Well, from 1968 to 1992 there was a kind of republican lock. Of course it was more contextual than structural.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »

There are hundreds of reasons for our deficits. At least when it's spent on weapons and missiles, our country is helping the private sector out being that they are bought from the market. I've heard stories where we blow up rocks and buildings that have already been blown up because we have such an abundance. If we keep buying and benefiting the private sector like this, then the unemployed can work making nuclear weapons and missiles.

I remember a guy who continuously repeated that deficits were always bad. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies