A Democratic lock on the White House? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  A Democratic lock on the White House? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Democratic lock on the White House?  (Read 5521 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 12, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

Presidential contests have so much to do with personal popularity that reading into a lock for either party just seems silly.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »

Presidential contests have so much to do with personal popularity that reading into a lock for either party just seems silly.

Only if you're talking about the MTV crowd.

The more charismatic Presidential candidate has been the winner in each election going back to at least 1980. Remembering back to 2004, Kerry definitely suffered from loss from being perceived as a blueblooded New Englander as opposed to Bush, who was perceived as down-to-earth & in touch with the common man.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »

The more charismatic Presidential candidate has been the winner in each election going back to at least 1980. Remembering back to 2004, Kerry definitely suffered from loss from being perceived as a blueblooded New Englander as opposed to Bush, who was perceived as down-to-earth & in touch with the common man.

There have been charismatic candidates who have lost too though. I don't view Obama as charismatic as much as I do mean and cult like.

Yes, but the more charismatic candidate has typically won general election matchups. For that matter, I don't really view Clinton or either Bush as being charismatic either. It has to do with how the bulk of the electorate views them in comparison to their opponent.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:29:44 PM »

There have been charismatic candidates who have lost too though. I don't view Obama as charismatic as much as I do mean and cult like.

Yes, but the more charismatic candidate has typically won general election matchups. For that matter, I don't really view Clinton or either Bush as being charismatic either. It has to do with how the bulk of the electorate views them in comparison to their opponent.

Oh I view them as charismatic but not Obama. Actually I think McCain was underrated but wasn't going to win after the financial meltdown.

McCain was already going to have an uphill battle, but I agree that the financial meltdown sealed the deal. Had it not occurred, I think Obama would have probably won by a margin comparable to Bush's margin in 2004.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies