A Democratic lock on the White House?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  A Democratic lock on the White House?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A Democratic lock on the White House?  (Read 5523 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:11 PM »

There are hundreds of reasons for our deficits. At least when it's spent on weapons and missiles, our country is helping the private sector out being that they are bought from the market. I've heard stories where we blow up rocks and buildings that have already been blown up because we have such an abundance. If we keep buying and benefiting the private sector like this, then the unemployed can work making nuclear weapons and missiles.

I remember a guy who continuously repeated that deficits were always bad. Roll Eyes
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »

There are hundreds of reasons for our deficits. At least when it's spent on weapons and missiles, our country is helping the private sector out being that they are bought from the market. I've heard stories where we blow up rocks and buildings that have already been blown up because we have such an abundance. If we keep buying and benefiting the private sector like this, then the unemployed can work making nuclear weapons and missiles.

I remember a guy who continuously repeated that deficits were always bad. Roll Eyes

They are if they're repeated. Look our debt is about to be greater than the entire net worth of our country soon.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 06:32:24 PM »

They are if they're repeated. Look our debt is about to be greater than the entire net worth of our country soon.

We can thnak Reagan, Bush Sr., and Bush Jr. for that.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »

We can thnak Reagan, Bush Sr., and Bush Jr. for that.

No surprise you only blame Republicans and not democrats. As for a lock on the white house? I think Obama needs to get rid of his tough angry man who talks street before he has a chance at winning in 2012. Everyone sees it in him.
DS0816
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 02:30:01 PM »

I think the only thing that is a "lock on the White House" are: the lobbyists, corporations, special interests, and big-industry (like BP and its ilk).
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »

I think the only thing that is a "lock on the White House" are: the lobbyists, corporations, special interests, and big-industry (like BP and its ilk).

Haha well said... clap clap clap. You couldn't be more right. As for democrats; how bout a lock out of the white house is more like it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

Presidential contests have so much to do with personal popularity that reading into a lock for either party just seems silly.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »

Presidential contests have so much to do with personal popularity that reading into a lock for either party just seems silly.

Only if you're talking about the MTV crowd.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »

The more charismatic Presidential candidate has been the winner in each election going back to at least 1980. Remembering back to 2004, Kerry definitely suffered from loss from being perceived as a blueblooded New Englander as opposed to Bush, who was perceived as down-to-earth & in touch with the common man.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 01:28:31 AM »

The more charismatic Presidential candidate has been the winner in each election going back to at least 1980. Remembering back to 2004, Kerry definitely suffered from loss from being perceived as a blueblooded New Englander as opposed to Bush, who was perceived as down-to-earth & in touch with the common man.

There have been charismatic candidates who have lost too though. I don't view Obama as charismatic as much as I do mean and cult like.
DS0816
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 04:34:57 AM »

Haha well said... clap clap clap. You couldn't be more right. As for democrats; how bout a lock out of the white house is more like it.

So you agree … but it's okay for Republicans to beholden to "the lobbyists, corporations, special interests, and big-industry (like BP and its ilk)"?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »

So you agree … but it's okay for Republicans to beholden to "the lobbyists, corporations, special interests, and big-industry (like BP and its ilk)"?

Nope and the lobbyists would've been done had McCain been elected. If you read my government reform in individual politics I advocate a ban for soft money from corporations and unions as well.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »

There have been charismatic candidates who have lost too though. I don't view Obama as charismatic as much as I do mean and cult like.

Yes, but the more charismatic candidate has typically won general election matchups. For that matter, I don't really view Clinton or either Bush as being charismatic either. It has to do with how the bulk of the electorate views them in comparison to their opponent.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »

Yes, but the more charismatic candidate has typically won general election matchups. For that matter, I don't really view Clinton or either Bush as being charismatic either. It has to do with how the bulk of the electorate views them in comparison to their opponent.

Oh I view them as charismatic but not Obama. Actually I think McCain was underrated but wasn't going to win after the financial meltdown.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 08:29:44 PM »

Oh I view them as charismatic but not Obama. Actually I think McCain was underrated but wasn't going to win after the financial meltdown.

McCain was already going to have an uphill battle, but I agree that the financial meltdown sealed the deal. Had it not occurred, I think Obama would have probably won by a margin comparable to Bush's margin in 2004.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 02:12:39 AM »

McCain was already going to have an uphill battle, but I agree that the financial meltdown sealed the deal. Had it not occurred, I think Obama would have probably won by a margin comparable to Bush's margin in 2004.

Hard to say. McCain led both Obama and Hillary until the primary was over for the dems. After that Obama took the lead for the most part until McCain picked Palin. At that point McCain had 2-3 weeks where he led in about every battleground state. Once the financial meltdown happened, McCain had nowhere to go but up.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 09:21:54 PM »

Neither party has a lock.  If the country improves the incumbent party can retain the WH, if the economy falters they're gone.
If unemployment is still above 8%, GDP growth below 3%, Debt exploding, its not unreasonable to think a Daniels or Thune could beat Obama in 2012.

Also, post the census about 8-10 EVs will shift from the Democratic NE states to the Rep southern states, giving the GOP a small advantage in close elections.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »

Neither party has a lock.  If the country improves the incumbent party can retain the WH, if the economy falters they're gone.
If unemployment is still above 8%, GDP growth below 3%, Debt exploding, its not unreasonable to think a Daniels or Thune could beat Obama in 2012.

Also, post the census about 8-10 EVs will shift from the Democratic NE states to the Rep southern states, giving the GOP a small advantage in close elections.

Excuse me and it's not just you, but alot of people here think that 7.5 and 8% are the levels for unemployment. I seem to remember unemployment being at 5.4% and our GDP rate being 7.2% in 2003 and 2004 and Bush being blamed for a bad economy. Since when did 8% unemployment become ok?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 10:04:50 PM »

Hard to say. McCain led both Obama and Hillary until the primary was over for the dems. After that Obama took the lead for the most part until McCain picked Palin. At that point McCain had 2-3 weeks where he led in about every battleground state. Once the financial meltdown happened, McCain had nowhere to go but up.

If McCain was going to win without the market meltdown, Democrats should be hunting for Hank Paulsen's head for not bailing out Lehman.  Obama's election was a disaster for Democrats and they should want the head of anyone who made it possible by the flip of a switch.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »

Excuse me and it's not just you, but alot of people here think that 7.5 and 8% are the levels for unemployment. I seem to remember unemployment being at 5.4% and our GDP rate being 7.2% in 2003 and 2004 and Bush being blamed for a bad economy. Since when did 8% unemployment become ok?
It's about expectations and change. Unemployment was still high in 1936, but FDR won 48 states.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 11:25:19 AM »

It's about expectations and change. Unemployment was still high in 1936, but FDR won 48 states.

Hoover didn't.  Neither did Carter (and I think his peak was a fractional point lower that Ford's).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »

Hoover didn't.  Neither did Carter (and I think his peak was a fractional point lower that Ford's).
Hoover and Carter lost because the perception was that things were getting worse. My point is that you can't just look at the unemployment number in a vacuum and make a prediction. You have to look at the period immediately preceding it and considering how people are going to judge a president.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »

they have as much a lock on it as they have on the U.S. Senate in Massachusetts.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »

they have as much a lock on it as they have on the U.S. Senate in Massachusetts.

Haha clap clap clap clap. Amen brother. It's ok anyone can buy a truck.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 12:16:34 AM »

Haha clap clap clap clap. Amen brother. It's ok anyone can buy a truck.

Not in this economy haha.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies