If You Were Barry Goldwater's Campaign Manager in 1964... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:32:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If You Were Barry Goldwater's Campaign Manager in 1964... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If You Were Barry Goldwater's Campaign Manager in 1964...  (Read 1967 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« on: June 06, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »

The only way to have been competitive would have been to sink to LBJ's level rather than continue to try to run a gentleman's campaign as he had planned to do against JFK.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »

As soon as JFK died I would've tried to convince Goldwater not to run, allowing Rocky to win the nomination and take the inevitable fall, which would put Goldwater in a good place to run in 1968. If I coudln't do that, I'd convince Goldwater to choose a moderate, prominent Rockefeller Republican like Margaret Chase Smith, to avoid scaring as many moderate Republicans as Goldwater did in real life (Goldy mainly chose Arthur Miller because he drove LBJ nuts). I also woudl get Goldwater to ruthlessly attack LBJ for using smear tactics such as the Daisy ad and allegations that Goldwater was racist (which would involve Goldwater trying to rationalize his vote against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 so that he doesn't look like an actual racist). With this beign said though, it'd still be a losing fight, but I could see Goldy doing a little better.

That's William Miller, not Arthur. Wink
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »

I'd tell him to support the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (while simaultanously making clear that he opposed affiramtive action and welfare handouts). Also, I'd tell him to pick a charismatic moderate as VP, to aggressively respond to LBJ's smear tactics, and to avoid making stupid comments and try to moderate his image.

Sure, if he wanted the electoral map to look like this:

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »

I'd tell him to support the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (while simaultanously making clear that he opposed affiramtive action and welfare handouts). Also, I'd tell him to pick a charismatic moderate as VP, to aggressively respond to LBJ's smear tactics, and to avoid making stupid comments and try to moderate his image.

Sure, if he wanted the electoral map to look like this:

As least his reputation and legacy would have been better. He mgiht ahve been able to win some Midwestern and Western states in this scenario, though. Even though Goldy was pretty much screwed in 1964 no matter what.

No, his reputation and legacy would be ruined as he would have sold out his principles for political gain that ended up getting him nowhere anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies