2012 GOP Primaries: An Honest Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:32:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 GOP Primaries: An Honest Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: In your honest opinion, who do you think will challenge President Obama in 2012 as the GOP nominee?
Former Gov. Sarah Palin

Former Gov. Mitt Romney

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee

Gov. Bobby Jindal

Sen. John Thune

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich

Gov. Haley Barbour

Gov. Tim Pawlenty

Former Sen. Rick Santorum

Gov. Mitch Daniels

Rep. Ron Paul

Former Gov. Gary Johnson

Rep. Mike Pence

Rep. Eric Cantor

Former Gov. George Pataki

Someone else (please discuss below)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: 2012 GOP Primaries: An Honest Poll  (Read 3250 times)
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »

Romney fits in well with the Republican tradition of giving the nomination to the guy who's "next in line."

Plus, he does have a should-have-chosen-that-guy allure to him. 2008 would have been kinder to the GOP with Romney on top of the ticket, that's for sure.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »

Santorum won't make it out of the primary. Mitch Daniels and Mitt Romney will be a fine contest in the primaries.
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »

I absolutely believe that the field will be crowded, but nothing else seems likely.

I wanna say...

(Assuming all run)

Daniels with 21 states
Pawlenty with 10 states
Romney with 6
Pataki, also 6
Santorum, 4
Jindal, 2
Palin, 1
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 04:31:32 PM »

I just don't see Romney winning,  I'm sorry I don't. He just seems to build up all of this momentum and this inevitability but I just see him falling flat. He really doesn't attract a lot of GOP voters.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 11:56:31 PM »

I just don't see Romney winning,  I'm sorry I don't. He just seems to build up all of this momentum and this inevitability but I just see him falling flat. He really doesn't attract a lot of GOP voters.

That's what happened last time too. I don't see the GOP base or tea party standing by him with his past.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12:49 AM »

Gingrich...as he slaps Obama all over the debate stage without saying "Obama"
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »

That's what happened last time too. I don't see the GOP base or tea party standing by him with his past.

Yes, Romney would be a guaranteed defeat for the GOP.
Zacoftheaxes
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.52, S: -9.13

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 06:41:35 PM »

It'll be Newt  but it should be either Paul or Pataki (Gingrich is cool too though).

R. Newt is one of the GOP's icons though, and he could easily use that to his advantage.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »

not guaranteed but it's not likely either
ComeAndTakeIt53
CalebR
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »

Ronnie Boy
milhouse24
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »

Sweet, I'm the only one who voted for Barbour esp if Jeb doesn't run.  I can tell you the Newt won't run and besides I don't think he has any network or campaign offices, does he even have a PAC.  Maybe he should run for governor but I think over 50% of america disliked him in the 90's.  Palin won't run because she wants to make as much money as possible.  Huckabee is a has-been.  Daniels is on the fence in running, too quiet to rally around. 

Where's the poll with Dan Qayle, now there's a winner!

But Barbour will win because the GOP is predictable and they will pick the Southern Governor as always.  Heck Huck would have won SC if Fred didn't wake up to campaign.  Its inevitable.  Romney is not next in line for anything.  There will be a huge Christian Conservative Tea Party revolt if Romney wins. 
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »

Sweet, I'm the only one who voted for Barbour esp if Jeb doesn't run.  I can tell you the Newt won't run and besides I don't think he has any network or campaign offices, does he even have a PAC.  Maybe he should run for governor but I think over 50% of america disliked him in the 90's.  Palin won't run because she wants to make as much money as possible.  Huckabee is a has-been.  Daniels is on the fence in running, too quiet to rally around. 

But Barbour will win because the GOP is predictable and they will pick the Southern Governor as always.  Heck Huck would have won SC if Fred didn't wake up to campaign.  Its inevitable.  Romney is not next in line for anything.  There will be a huge Christian Conservative Tea Party revolt if Romney wins. 

and you are so sure Gingrich won't run because? and about him running for governor..LOL
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »

Gingrich would really start a debate over which direction and philosophy voters wanted to take the country in. I think there should be a debate or 2 every month of the election year but not like the staged ones we have. The candidates should ask each other questions in a civil manner.
DS0816
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 12:01:40 AM »

Questions:

1) Who can generate the most in campaign donations going into the 2012 Republican primaries?

2) Who can best turn out the base?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 12:07:44 AM »

Questions:

1) Who can generate the most in campaign donations going into the 2012 Republican primaries?

2) Who can best turn out the base?

1) Ron Paul

2) Depends which 'base' you are talking about.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »

Questions:

Probably Romney, especially if you're counting contributions from his own bank account.
milhouse24
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 12:44:06 AM »

and you are so sure Gingrich won't run because? and about him running for governor..LOL
I personally think Newt is a has-been who was last relevent in 1995 but hasn't done anything since then of note.  He'll be like Tancredo trying to win from the HOR, but I just don't see much of a voter base rallying around old Newt.  I also think Newt has softened his conservative stances and even supported liberal issues, so I don't really know what he would.  Perhaps he is positioning himself as a VP candidate, but as a Leader and Executive he has a think Executive record compared to Barbour and Daniels and Romney.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »

I personally think Newt is a has-been who was last relevent in 1995 but hasn't done anything since then of note.  He'll be like Tancredo trying to win from the HOR, but I just don't see much of a voter base rallying around old Newt.  I also think Newt has softened his conservative stances and even supported liberal issues, so I don't really know what he would.  Perhaps he is positioning himself as a VP candidate, but as a Leader and Executive he has a think Executive record compared to Barbour and Daniels and Romney.

Tancredo ran to make a point, Newt wouldn't waste time on that.
He's been active ever since, I can't count how many organization he has created.
And turning liberal? Well only if George Bush is ultra conservative. He turned away from Bush because he was spending way to much. Newt has stayed on the right while the Republicans went left. And nobody would pick him as VP. A speaker from a decade ago. Yes he's active, but the VP needs to be recently in office.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies