69% of the UK public support more gun regulations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:54:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  69% of the UK public support more gun regulations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: 69% of the UK public support more gun regulations  (Read 5273 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 06:14:33 AM »

Don'tchaknow the only difference between England the US is our gun laws.  So obviously stricter gun laws would make them safer.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 06:21:06 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2010, 07:39:31 AM by Caligola »

Then they wonder why we don't take them that seriously. Tongue

3rd member of the ignore list.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 06:35:26 AM »

Britons are free to live without the constant threat of being murdered by a gun, either by a criminal or a thuggish policeman.

Such as the people killed a few days ago by the taxi driver? Sure their murder rate is lower, but I'm not sold on the idea that guns/murder rate is the only relevant corelation.

Yes, and we have 300 million people as well.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 07:02:37 AM »

Britons are free to live without the constant threat of being murdered by a gun, either by a criminal or a thuggish policeman.

Such as the people killed a few days ago by the taxi driver? Sure their murder rate is lower, but I'm not sold on the idea that guns/murder rate is the only relevant corelation.

Don't see how that's relevant to the murder rate though.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 08:18:37 AM »

Reminds me of a Swedish commercial.

"But dad, there is only 10% alcohol in it, and we're four persons that are going to share it, that means it's only 2,5% alcohol for each of us, and that's the same amount as the Low-alcohol beer you had for lunch."

"Don't let your teens fool you into buying them alcohol. Read more at www.systembolaget.se"

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »

From what I remember hearing they have a lot more knifings than we have here. Take away the guns and the criminals will either get knives or get the guns anyways.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »

*FACEPALM*

If you ban guns, criminals will still have them--guns are not nonexistent in the UK. They can also resort to killing by other means, you know.

Are you really that off the wall?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2010, 08:50:15 AM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Believe it or not, I enjoy the thought that it is so hard to acquire a gun. The country is far safer for it. This is a country and a culture which has always been hostile to legalised gun ownership. The only people who ought to be allowed guns are the police.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Believe it or not, I enjoy the thought that it is so hard to acquire a gun. The country is far safer for it. This is a country and a culture which has always been hostile to legalised gun ownership. The only people who ought to be allowed guns are the police.

So, you really are that off the wall after all.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2010, 09:09:57 AM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Your entire country is off the wall for believing it's okay to give people guns.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 09:14:29 AM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Your entire country is off the wall for believing it's okay to give people guns.

Of course it's ok. Why do you hate freedom, anyway? Weren't you a libertarian once?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »

Well at least your country knows how to protect its citizens properly....such as through having a CCTV camera at every street corner.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 09:39:11 AM »

Well at least your country knows how to protect its citizens properly....such as through having a CCTV camera at every street corner.

I don't happen to agree with that.

Anyway, I was just being as condescending as posters like Pit have been.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Of course it's ok. Why do you hate freedom, anyway? Weren't you a libertarian once?

I don't hate freedom. Quite the opposite. I support the freedom for people to walk the streets safely without the fear of a nutter going round shooting people up.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »

Apparently though it's perfectly fine to trust them to have batons.

Perfectly fine?  His point in posting that image was that they can barely be trusted with batons either.

Quite so. Just imagine what would have happened during (for example) the Miners Strike if the police had guns. It was bad enough as it was, as that photo neatly shows...

Yeah, I don't trust the police.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »

*FACEPALM*

If you ban guns, criminals will still have them--guns are not nonexistent in the UK. They can also resort to killing by other means, you know.

The guy had a gun license, FTR.

Guns are the easiest weapon to kill someone with. You can run away from a bat, a fist, and even a knife, but not a gun.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 01:33:39 PM »

Then they wonder why we don't take them that seriously. Tongue

meh, in the end, there's still things to do there on a friday night, whereas we're, what, wasting our time uselectionatlas.org? And in the end, those "things to do" - or lack thereof - are going to form our memories, not whether or not we have a couple of Glocks sitting in the safe.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »

Reminds me of a Swedish commercial.

"But dad, there is only 10% alcohol in it, and we're four persons that are going to share it, that means it's only 2,5% alcohol for each of us, and that's the same amount as the Low-alcohol beer you had for lunch."

"Don't let your teens fool you into buying them alcohol. Read more at www.systembolaget.se"

Wow, even we don't have commercials like that. Why is so Sweden so prudish?

Does remind me though of that idiot lady campaigning against Dungeons and Dragons in the 80s. There was once an interview with her that basically went like this:

Her: ...and it's also luring more people toward Satanism, I'd estimate that around 8% of the population of Richmond, VA (her hometown) are now Satanists.
Interviewer: How do you figure that?
Her: Well from what I've seen I'd estimate that around 4% of teens and young adults are Satanists and it looks like around 4% of older adults are Satanists now too. Together that adds up to 8%.
Interviewer: No, statistically that would still only be 4%.
Her: Well it doesn't matter because 4% is a rather conservative estimate anyway.

(People actually took this woman seriously for a few years. WTF 80s?)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »

I don't hate freedom. Quite the opposite. I support the freedom for people to walk the streets safely without the fear of a nutter going round shooting people up.
Do you really think people in America are afraid to walk the streets for fear of being shot?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »

Do you really think people in America are afraid to walk the streets for fear of being shot?

Suburbanites basically are. They seem to think cities are basically daily gun battles and residents have to wear bullet proof vests to survive.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 02:13:37 PM »

In places like East Oakland, yes.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Right, and you still haven't addressed the points made in my first reply--the bad people are still going to have guns, even if they are illegal. Illegalizing guns, therefore, create the illusion of safer streets when in fact criminals still have guns all along. Why, then, must we make it harder for law abiding citizens to have guns? Gun rights can be abused, just like all other rights, but that doesn't mean that we should ban all guns.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Right, and you still haven't addressed the points made in my first reply--the bad people are still going to have guns, even if they are illegal. Illegalizing guns, therefore, create the illusion of safer streets when in fact criminals still have guns all along. Why, then, must we make it harder for law abiding citizens to have guns? Gun rights can be abused, just like all other rights, but that doesn't mean that we should ban all guns.

Interestingly enough, gun crime is more or less nonexistent in Japan.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Not everyone who buys a gun legally is law abiding, as the said example has shown. I fail to see any reason why any law abiding person needs a gun.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »

Haha, that's ironic.

Interestingly enough, gun crime is more or less nonexistent in Japan.

Terrible comparison for too many reasons to count.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies