Blumenthal: "I served in Vietnam"/NYT to Blumenthal: You lie!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:27:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Blumenthal: "I served in Vietnam"/NYT to Blumenthal: You lie!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Blumenthal: "I served in Vietnam"/NYT to Blumenthal: You lie!  (Read 11311 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 12:15:25 PM »

Hopefully people will stop pretending the NYT is some liberal rag now, considering they just lost us a safe Senate seat.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »

Hopefully people will stop pretending the NYT is some liberal rag now, considering they just lost us a safe Senate seat.

I would prefer to think of them as a neutral objective source of information, as newspapers should actually be. They didn't cost anyone anything.

Blumenthal, if he loses, has nobody to blame but himself.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »

Well, yes, but my point is, if the NYT were some incredibly biased liberal paper, like so many on the right seem to argue, they wouldn't have printed an article that dramatically hurts Democrats' chances of holding on to the Senate.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 12:19:22 PM »

Fox News is reporting that Blumenthal in fact served in the Marine reserves, and is playing footage from a debate where he explicitly states that he did not go to Vietnam.  Can we stop pretending Fox News is some Republican network now?  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »

I'm watching the press conference and the key might be the definition of "a few."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 01:30:06 PM »

I'm watching the press conference and the key might be the definition of "a few."

A few what?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »

A few what?

He said he misspoke on "a few" occasions.  If that turns out to be 50, he has a bigger problem.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »

We'll know if this is the case or not in another 24-48 hours. George W. Bush claimed he'd been to war and served in Vietnam on occasion, accidentally.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 01:46:35 PM »

We'll know if this is the case or not in another 24-48 hours. George W. Bush claimed he'd been to war and served in Vietnam on occasion, accidentally.

This seems to be the "progressive" spin of the day.  Please cite ONE instance when George W. Bush claimed he had served in Vietnam.  ONE.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »

I thought the press conference went about as well as could be expected.  Blumenthal still meanders too much instead of just answering questions directly - but he seems to be getting better at that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »

I thought the press conference went about as well as could be expected.  Blumenthal still meanders too much instead of just answering questions directly - but he seems to be getting better at that.

Can anyone beat him regardless?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »

This seems to be the "progressive" spin of the day.  Please cite ONE instance when George W. Bush claimed he had served in Vietnam.  ONE.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_05/023850.php

You're right, he only said he'd "been to war" and seen combat "firsthand" and "served in the U.S. Air Force", all of which are lies. It was up to the listener to assme it was during his service in the Vietnam Era, and not Grenada or the Crimean War or some such.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58:56 PM »

This seems to be the "progressive" spin of the day.  Please cite ONE instance when George W. Bush claimed he had served in Vietnam.  ONE.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_05/023850.php

You're right, he only said he'd "been to war" and seen combat "firsthand" and "served in the U.S. Air Force", all of which are lies. It was up to the listener to assme it was during his service in the Vietnam Era, and not Grenada or the Crimean War or some such.

He wouldn't have been alive today if he had served in the Crimean War.

If he had though and he was elected to the Senate he would surpass Byrd in longevity in terms of age.Tongue:
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »

Can anyone beat him regardless?

According to the NBC station in Connecticut whose coverage I watched of the press conference, the McMahon campaign's goal in getting this info out this week may have been to make sure a minor Democrat candidate, Merrick Alpert, gets enough support at this weekend's convention to get on the primary ballot.  

Could anyone beat Blumenthal?  Yes - if he self-destructs with more gaffes like this and continues his terrible campaigning.  No candidate is safe from self-destruction, especially in a throw-the-bums-out cycle like this one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »

The conference was as well as could be expected, but that isn't the problem.

If the press looks and finds a large number of cases where Blumenthal "misspoke," that will be a scandal.  Five times, no.  15-25 times, maybe.  50+, he's toast.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 03:25:21 PM »

No candidate is safe from self-destruction, especially in a throw-the-bums-out cycle like this one.

Not true!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Godsiff
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »

So who have the Democrats got waiting in the wings to take over? Dicky won't see the end of the week. He's done.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »

So who have the Democrats got waiting in the wings to take over? Dicky won't see the end of the week. He's done.

Merrick Alpert.

And I still think Blumenthal will ride this controversy out.  The press conference was a good start.  The Connecticut media seems willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (perhaps because they should have caught this error before).  And the NYC TV media doesn't seem to care much, even though Fairfield County is in the NYC TV market.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2010, 05:23:13 PM by Torie »

Did Blumenthal explain why he lied five times, or whatever the number is?  Or was it not lying, but just five instances of temporary senile dementia, or is Blumenthal intermittently psychotic and really thought on five different occasions that he did serve in Vietnam? Yes of course, Blumenthal would just say he just "misspoke" (and only five times at that apparently), and leave it at that. But did some reporter or two hound him a bit on this, as to just how he could get so confused if he wasn't affirmatively just lying, and was he just lying?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

Did Blumenthal explain why he lied five times, or whatever the number is?  Or was it not lying, but just five instances of temporary senile dementia, or is Blumenthal intermittently psycotic and really thought on five different occasions that he did serve in Vietnam? Yes of course, Blumenthal would just say he just "misspoke" (and only five times at that apparently), and leave it at that. But did some reporter or two hound him a bit on this, as to just how he could get so confused if he wasn't affirmatively just lying, and was he just lying?

Blumenthal said he misspoke.  He regrets misspeaking and takes responsibility for it.  He served in the Marine Reserves, but not in Vietnam.  He can't be held responsible for errors in articles that he probably didn't even read.   And he supports veterans.   He really really really supports veterans, which is important when there are wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Did I mention he really, really, really supports veterans?

That's pretty much the jist of his press conference.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »

Did Blumenthal explain why he lied five times, or whatever the number is?  Or was it not lying, but just five instances of temporary senile dementia, or is Blumenthal intermittently psycotic and really thought on five different occasions that he did serve in Vietnam? Yes of course, Blumenthal would just say he just "misspoke" (and only five times at that apparently), and leave it at that. But did some reporter or two hound him a bit on this, as to just how he could get so confused if he wasn't affirmatively just lying, and was he just lying?

Blumenthal said he misspoke.  He regrets misspeaking and takes responsibility for it.  He served in the Marine Reserves, but not in Vietnam.  He can't be held responsible for errors in articles that he probably didn't even read.   And he supports veterans.   He really really really supports veterans, which is important when there are wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Did I mention he really, really, really supports veterans?

Splendid, but were there any "obnoxious" reporters in the room moved to ask the questions I would have asked, and if so, what was (were)  his answer(s)? 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:53 PM »

Splendid, but were there any "obnoxious" reporters in the room moved to ask the questions I would have asked, and if so, what was (were)  his answer(s)? 

I think they asked him a bunch of questions but he stayed "on message", as the Washington media would say.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »

In other words, he stonewalled I take it. Hey, that's splendid too!  Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »

I think we - myself included - might have overreacted a tad to this. It's maybe not as big a scandal as we might think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/may/18/richard-blumenthal-vietnam-connecticut-senate?CMP=twt_gu

You must be logged in to read this quote.

All opinion, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if he weathered this okay.

*waits to be immediately proven wrong by a Blumenthal withdrawal*

PS: I'm not saying it was okay for him to lie, or that he only misspoke, or making any real judgements about the ethics of the whole mess, BTW. Focusing on the political impact.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2010, 05:51:16 PM by cinyc »

Splendid, but were there any "obnoxious" reporters in the room moved to ask the questions I would have asked, and if so, what was (were)  his answer(s)?  

Obnoxious reporters?  Not really - though it was a bit difficult to hear the questions on the NBC Connecticut feed.  Someone did ask if it was a lie.  He said it wasn't intentional, IIRC.  Video of the whole press conference is available from the Hartford CBS station here.

In what's good news for getting the Blumenthal story off the news, Connecticut Dems were thrown for another loop today when their Supreme Court ruled that the leading candidate for Blumenthal's AG seat, the current Secretary of State, isn't eligible because she wasn't engaged in the active practice of law for at least 10 years.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies