Who was the most charismatic Presidential Candidate ever?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:54:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who was the most charismatic Presidential Candidate ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Who was the most charismatic Presidential Candidate ever?  (Read 9371 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 05:59:26 PM »

Easily Reagan. The man spun a post-industrial nightmare with out of control crack violence, national deficits, teenage pregnancy, and the emergence of AIDS into "morning in America," winning 49 states. Absolutely amazing!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 06:01:35 PM »

Easily Reagan. The man spun a post-industrial nightmare with out of control crack violence, national deficits, teenage pregnancy, and the emergence of AIDS into "morning in America," winning 49 states. Absolutely amazing!

At least Hyperinflation was defeated, which was all that mattered to middle class Americans. They didn't care about crack cocaine, drug addiction, AIDS, sex, or deficits.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »

At least Hyperinflation was defeated, which was all that mattered to middle class Americans. They didn't care about crack cocaine, drug addiction, AIDS, sex, or deficits.

Inflation only matters if you have substantial assets. If you're primarily living payckeck to paycheck, it doesn't matter a bit. It's actually quite helpful if you're in debt, which is why the farmers of the 1890s wanted silver currency so badly. On the other hand, drug violence, closing factories, pregnant kids, and fatal STDs are real problems for people. Give Reagan credit. The man had political skills unequaled in American History. Hell, the man covertly sold weapons to our enemies and is still deified by a substantial part of our population. The man deserves a shrine for his mad skills.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 06:46:23 PM »

Inflation only matters if you have substantial assets. If you're primarily living payckeck to paycheck, it doesn't matter a bit. It's actually quite helpful if you're in debt, which is why the farmers of the 1890s wanted silver currency so badly. On the other hand, drug violence, closing factories, pregnant kids, and fatal STDs are real problems for people. Give Reagan credit. The man had political skills unequaled in American History. Hell, the man covertly sold weapons to our enemies and is still deified by a substantial part of our population. The man deserves a shrine for his mad skills.

I agree with you that Reagan dserves credit for making Americans feel good despite all the rpoblems that were occuring. Heck, he even made half the country feel good about trickle-down economics. However, I think many middle-class and wealthy Americans had significant assets back in 1980, and also I'm not sure if managers nad bosses would always raise workers' wages by more than the inflation rate. Not to mention that the unemployment rate (%wise) declined under Reagan (from 7.5% to 5.4%), and Reagan was the only Republican President in the last 85 years under whom unemployment declined. That's quite an accomplishment.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 01:54:16 AM »

Reagan deserves alot of credit. Aids wasn't his fault it was because a group of guys coming home from Africa couldn't keep it in their pants and I doubt drug use was the worst of our problems. However, I even knew when I was little that it was at its highest rate ever. The deficits weren't good and they never are but alot of that has to do with the lower taxes buying goods that weren't made in the US. I noticed Eisenhower at the bottom of alot of lists. I put him last because he never seemed that appealing to me in the footage that we have of him.
cpeeks
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »

Reagan completely ignored the aids epidemic. If had been a bunch of rich white kids getting aids instead of gay guys, he would have been at the front trying to stop the spread.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »

Reagan completely ignored the aids epidemic. If had been a bunch of rich white kids getting aids instead of gay guys, he would have been at the front trying to stop the spread.

Exactly. The GOP doesn't believe in science and doesn't care about blacks and gays.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »

Exactly. The GOP doesn't believe in science and doesn't care about blacks and gays.

Hyperbole much?
I mean I don't like the GOP but god dude, you're almost at BRTD levels in hackiness.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 11:38:39 PM »

Hyperbole much?
I mean I don't like the GOP but god dude, you're almost at BRTD levels in hackiness.

I'm telling the truth. When is the last time the GOP did something signifcant for blacks and gays? 1965? Also, when has the GOP been strongly supportive of science or scientific research that is not realted to outer space?
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »

Hyperbole much?

The sad thing is, he isn't really exaggerating.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 11:53:42 PM »

Hyperbole much?

Thank you, Tuck. I am just honestly stating facts here. Even Michael Steele (the black GOP chairman) admitted taht blacks have no reason to vote for the GOP.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »

Hyperbole much?

Thank you, Tuck. I am just honestly stating facts here. Even Michael Steele (the black GOP chairman) admitted taht blacks have no reason to vote for the GOP.

The GOP is basically the party for rich white people. Black people are usually neither rich nor white.
perdedor

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »

I've never understood this common understanding that Americans have about Reagan being charismatic. Is a good speech writer all it takes to be viewed as charismatic these days?
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »

I've never understood this common understanding that Americans have about Reagan being charismatic. Is a good speech writer all it takes to be viewed as charismatic these days?

Reagan was a professional actor. He knew how to present himself to an audience.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »

Exactly. He knew how to appeal to people's emotions, rather than use reason to appeal to people.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »

Exactly. He knew how to appeal to people's emotions, rather than use reason to appeal to people.

sounds like Clinton taking advantage of people's emotions in a bad economy
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »

So it was Reagan's fault that those guys in Africa fooled around? He viewed it as God's punishment and he had every right to view it that way. For the record, I don't agree with that view.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »

*FACEPALM*
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »

I wonder how charismatic Jackson, Washington, the Adams etc. were?
cpeeks
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »

He should have acknowledged it,  and  had the cdc find out what was causing it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

I wonder how charismatic Jackson, Washington, the Adams etc. were?

Jackson-Very charismatic
Washington-Somewhat charismatic
Adams-Not very charismatic
cpeeks
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »

From the accounts I have read Washington was very charasmatic, a real ladies man.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »

really? He's always shown as dull and sophisticated.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2010, 01:14:58 PM »

FDR probably.
cpeeks