NC-PPP Burr up by 1%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:53:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senatorial Election Polls
  NC-PPP Burr up by 1%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NC-PPP Burr up by 1%  (Read 3839 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »

PPP was one of the best pollsters in 2008, so to say they was bias is just plain stupid.

Josh, just shut the hell up already.  First, PPP is a Democrat polling firm.  Most importantly, it's Elaine Marshall's pollster.  Does anything in this poll look suspicious to you?  Does a 13% Democrat advantage look right?  How about Cunningham's unfavorable ratings?  Doesn't that look a little strange?

It makes sense to me that PPP would want to fudge the numbers to make it look like Marshall has the momentum.

Yea, everything I see has Cunningham with the big mo. This poll is seriously flawed and I am once again proved right that most of the people on this forum are a bunch of sheep snowed by the latest "headline" poll numbers with no regards to context, or factors on the ground. This is A) a poll of registered voters (48% Dem to 35% Republican) which is likely to be closer to 44-40 Dem to Rep in November. Rework the numbers I bet Burr gets closer to 45% and Marshall falls to 37%. And Cunningham would fall to a double digit deficit. I don't think so. B) It has too many "moderates" at 41%. Again Moderates will be in the 30's and Conservatives approaching 45% in November based on the enthusiasm gap.

Right now that is how it looks, but thing can and most likely will change. Also Rassy found Marshall doing better then Cal against Burr as well. I guess Rassy is wrong too.

I don't recall saying it was a Marshall poll. I recall saying it was a sh**tty poll, and I don't recall a candidate by that name running. Though those two Democrat clydes are pretty close. Tongue I suggest you avoid confusing me with Blubby.

Marshall should be doing better because currently she is the frontrunner, Cunningham however has the momentum. Frontrunner =/ momentum.

PPP was one of the best pollsters in 2008, so to say they was bias is just plain stupid.

Josh, just shut the hell up already.  First, PPP is a Democrat polling firm.  Most importantly, it's Elaine Marshall's pollster.  Does anything in this poll look suspicious to you?  Does a 13% Democrat advantage look right?  How about Cunningham's unfavorable ratings?  Doesn't that look a little strange?

It makes sense to me that PPP would want to fudge the numbers to make it look like Marshall has the momentum.

Have you not looked at the RV number in NC? Democrats out number Republicans by alot, heck Indys almost out number Republicans. Also Cal's approval rating are like that because of the Primary. Also, where do you get the idea that PPP is working for Marshall?

1) Do you know what actual voter composition will be?

2) Why would Cal's approvals be low because of the primary? They didn't run any ads against each other, they all ran ads focused on Burr.

Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »

PPP did one poll for Marshall back early in the Winter but hasn't done anything for any of the NC campaigns since then.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

I'm not sure if this is too good to be true. Burr is a pretty weak incumbent. The year may narrowly save him, but this is still worth looking at.

Yes, NC Dems had originally thought that Burr would be easier to defeat than Dole, and Dole lost heavily last year.

I'm pleased with Marshall leading the first-round. Marshall should be favored in the run-off, but I fear a low turnout.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »

I'm not sure if this is too good to be true. Burr is a pretty weak incumbent. The year may narrowly save him, but this is still worth looking at.

Yes, NC Dems had originally thought that Burr would be easier to defeat than Dole, and Dole lost heavily last year.

I'm pleased with Marshall leading the first-round. Marshall should be favored in the run-off, but I fear a low turnout.

Let me guess, you like Marshall because she's a woman?

I can't blame you, though.  Cunningham always has this creepy, vacant look about him, his smile exuding the happy bliss of a retard.

Cunningham seems like an Edwards 2.0 to me. Marshall, I like her because she supports civil rights for gay Americans.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »

It's only one poll, but this is another example potentially of what I'm talking about.  A lot of people are overrating the GOP this year and underrating the democrats.

Unlike 2006 where the GOP couldn't attack anywhere, the democrats have chances to steal seats from the GOP yet again, and if the Republicans lose in NC yet again after being swept in 2008, they need to be concerned about the long-term vision in the state.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »

I still think Brad Miller would have been the best candidate to take on Burr, but I do think Marshall is fairly strong as well. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »

There goes my internship in DC next summer if Burr loses. I sincerely hope he doesn't implode, but it looks like that's what is happening.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »

There goes my internship in DC next summer if Burr loses. I sincerely hope he doesn't implode, but it looks like that's what is happening.

You could always get one with Hagan Smiley
sg0508
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 10:46:58 PM »

Again, a lot of people are overrating the GOP this year and underrating the democrats.  This race could be a good example of that.  Even if the democrats lose some seats, and they are basically guaranteed to lose at least 3 (IN, ND and DE), they are going to fight like hell for seats where they know they have a good shot (OH, AZ, NC) and try to hold their own in other tough states (IL, CA, PA)
sg0508
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »

Again, a lot of people are overrating the GOP this year and underrating the democrats.  This race could be a good example of that.  Even if the democrats lose some seats, and they are basically guaranteed to lose at least 3 (IN, ND and DE), they are going to fight like hell for seats where they know they have a good shot (OH, AZ, NC) and try to hold their own in other tough states (IL, CA, PA)

Dude.  First of all, no incumbent has been reelected to this seat since 1968.  Burr is a mediocre Senator.  Even with that, all the polls show him leading.  Arizona competitive?  Maybe if Hayworth wins.  I think maybe you're saying that the GOP shouldn't expect a gain of 10 seats, which I think would be a reasonable thing to say.  I think the fact that you're a "moderate" who bemoans the rightward direction of the GOP is clouding your prognostications.
What the hell does the fact that nobody has been able to hold the seat for more than one term goin back 40 years have anything to do with this year?  That's like saying because 10 straight red numbers come up on the roulette wheel, the next one is probably going to be read too. 

I do agree with you in that Burr hasn't been all that strong and Bush coattailed him in during 2004.  The democrats are a stronger party statewide here than most give them credit for.  Keep in mind that during 2008, the republicans were swept there in all 3 major races that night.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2010, 12:04:25 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee (AFL-CIO-NC) »

Again, a lot of people are overrating the GOP this year and underrating the democrats.  This race could be a good example of that.  Even if the democrats lose some seats, and they are basically guaranteed to lose at least 3 (IN, ND and DE), they are going to fight like hell for seats where they know they have a good shot (OH, AZ, NC) and try to hold their own in other tough states (IL, CA, PA)

Dude.  First of all, no incumbent has been reelected to this seat since 1968.  Burr is a mediocre Senator.  Even with that, all the polls show him leading.  Arizona competitive?  Maybe if Hayworth wins.  I think maybe you're saying that the GOP shouldn't expect a gain of 10 seats, which I think would be a reasonable thing to say.  I think the fact that you're a "moderate" who bemoans the rightward direction of the GOP is clouding your prognostications.
What the hell does the fact that nobody has been able to hold the seat for more than one term goin back 40 years have anything to do with this year?  That's like saying because 10 straight red numbers come up on the roulette wheel, the next one is probably going to be read too.  

I do agree with you in that Burr hasn't been all that strong and Bush coattailed him in during 2004.  The democrats are a stronger party statewide here than most give them credit for.  Keep in mind that during 2008, the republicans were swept there in all 3 major races that night.

lol, swept? McCain lost by a few thousands votes, like 2 or 3 at most. McCrory came the the closest of any Republican in 16 years of winning the Governorship and would have won had he not had so much going against him. Dole would have lost 51-48 were it not for the Godless ad which was a result of her trailing by 2 or 3 points in the polls, it backfiring caused her to lose by 10% (The only sweep of the night). The GOP was reasonably close and closer then that in several lower level offices such as AG, Tresurer, narrowly lost Auditor, held Agriculture, and won one other I can't remember. Take 3 to 4 points off the overall Dem margin nationwide and the GOP would have had a great night in NC with McCain, McCrory and Dole winning and gaining LT Gov, Treasurer, and holding the State Auditor. The PVI of the state was R+6 (Obama won by less then 1% while winning by 7% nationwide).

The NC Democratic Party now has a Governor in the 30's in approval ratings, a legislatures having just past a huge tax hike and having to make big cuts with major retirements and far more contested seats then in previous years. Even Hagan's numbers are fairly low according to this PPP poll. Burr right now has barelly kicked into gear while the Dem candidates (Marshall, and Cunningham) have focused most of there ads on him not each other. He is putting together a great infrastructure, has a strong constituent services effort (better then Dole who never responded at all), and has offered alternatives on key issues. He opposes Cap-n-Trade, Obama care, and Amnesty. There is a strong Tea Party movement in NC, and conservatives are energized by the tax hikes locally and the stuff going on nationally.

Bet against all that at your own risk.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2010, 12:14:05 AM by sg0508 »

Again, a lot of people are overrating the GOP this year and underrating the democrats.  This race could be a good example of that.  Even if the democrats lose some seats, and they are basically guaranteed to lose at least 3 (IN, ND and DE), they are going to fight like hell for seats where they know they have a good shot (OH, AZ, NC) and try to hold their own in other tough states (IL, CA, PA)

Dude.  First of all, no incumbent has been reelected to this seat since 1968.  Burr is a mediocre Senator.  Even with that, all the polls show him leading.  Arizona competitive?  Maybe if Hayworth wins.  I think maybe you're saying that the GOP shouldn't expect a gain of 10 seats, which I think would be a reasonable thing to say.  I think the fact that you're a "moderate" who bemoans the rightward direction of the GOP is clouding your prognostications.
What the hell does the fact that nobody has been able to hold the seat for more than one term goin back 40 years have anything to do with this year?  That's like saying because 10 straight red numbers come up on the roulette wheel, the next one is probably going to be read too.  

I do agree with you in that Burr hasn't been all that strong and Bush coattailed him in during 2004.  The democrats are a stronger party statewide here than most give them credit for.  Keep in mind that during 2008, the republicans were swept there in all 3 major races that night.

lol, swept? McCain lost by a few thousands votes, like 2 or 3 at most. McCrory came the the closest of any Republican in 16 years of winning the Governorship and would have won had he not had so much going against him. Dole would have lost 51-48 were it not for the Godless ad which was a result of her trailing by 2 or 3 points in the polls, it backfiring caused her to lose by 10% (The only sweep of the night). The GOP was reasonably close and closer then that in several lower level offices such as AG, Tresurer, narrowly lost Auditor, held Agriculture, and won one other I can't remember. Take 3 to 4 points off the overall Dem margin nationwide and the GOP would have had a great night in NC with McCain, McCrory and Dole winning and gaining LT Gov, Treasurer, and holding the State Auditor. The PVI of the state was R+6 (Obama won by less then 1% while winning by 7% nationwide).

The NC Democratic Party now has a Governor in the 30's in approval ratings, a legislatures having just past a huge tax hike and having to make big cuts with major retirements and far more contested seats then in previous years. Even Hagan's numbers are fairly low according to this PPP poll. Burr right now has barelly kicked into gear while the Dem candidates (Marshall, and Cunningham) have focused most of there ads on him not each other. He is putting together a great infrastructure, has a strong constituent services effort (better then Dole who never responded at all), and has offered alternatives on key issues. He opposes Cap-n-Trade, Obama care, and Amnesty. There is a strong Tea Party movement in NC, and conservatives are energized by the tax hikes locally and the stuff going on nationally.

If a lot of things happened, things would be different in a lot of places.  The fact is, after two straight elections of carrying the state by 56-43 margins, we lost it.  After more than half of century of dominating VA (outside of 1964), we finally lost that too because we couldn't appeal to northern VA enough.  IN is an even more sorry story as we won by 20 pts in 2004 and like VA, had only lost it in 1964 since 1950.  But, this is about NC and in what is supposed to be a weak democratic year, there is no reason for us to lose this seat.

The interesting thing about NC elections is that very few candidates ever break 60%  in gov/senatorial races.  Landslides are very rare there.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 12:21:06 AM »

We must live in two different states Tongue  McCrory was a Mayor of the largest city in NC and that is the only reason he came close. Dole, well is Dole and was going to lose no matter what. And Obama won because of the black turn-out. Also, there are 12 elected offices in NC and the Democrats hold 9 out of 12. And won most of them by big margins.

The tea party isn't that big in NC, or not around where I'm at. And North Carolina is trending more Democratic each election cycle, as the state become more urban. Look at Wake, Mecklenburg and Guilford Counties. In 2000 Republican won all three of them, in 2004 Democrats won Mecklenburg and Guilford. And in 2008 Obama won them by a very huge margin.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 12:37:32 AM »

If a lot of things happened, things would be different in a lot of places.  The fact is, after two straight elections of carrying the state by 56-43 margins, we lost it.  After more than half of century of dominating VA (outside of 1964), we finally lost that too because we couldn't appeal to northern VA enough.  IN is an even more sorry story as we won by 20 pts in 2004 and like VA, had only lost it in 1964 since 1950.  But, this is about NC and in what is supposed to be a weak democratic year, there is no reason for us to lose this seat.

The interesting thing about NC elections is that very few candidates ever break 60%  in gov/senatorial races.  Landslides are very rare there.

No, it ain a lot of things just happening. Its predictable trends. The GOP strength has been declining in VA since the late 1990's yet George Allen still picked up a Senate seat in 2000 despite that and Bush still managed to win it twiced in 2000 and 2004 before the trends shifted really significantly 2005-2008. Its largely do to the NOVA area true, but McDonnell won statewide by 18 points and won NOVA. Proving that Republicans can still win there even Conservative ones if they run a good campaign.

McCrory did the same in 2008, in the Charlotte metro area, far out running McCain there and winning a lot of Obama voters. He couldn't overcome McCain/Perdue voters in the mts and Coastal areas.

Indiana had nothing to do with Trends. A combination of low GOP turnout, high minority, young voter turnout, Obama strength in NW IN (Chicago Media market essentially), and McCain taking it for granted while Obama actually targeted it.

NC has shifted but in a way its a good thing for the GOP as some of the same people who voted for Bush by 13 points also voted for Mike Easley who won 56-43 in 2004. Kind of like Ohio the voting pattenrs federal versus state office are different (Hamilton Co. Ohio votes GOP for Gov but Dem for President). In 2008, the GOP did faboulous in responding to the changes by nominating McCrory and as I said he came closest of any GOP candidate since 1992.  The shift was again do to young/minority voter turnout, people who moved here since 2004, and depressed enthusiasm on the GOP side, less activism by Conservative groups. Also the economy played a role in the result and probably the final margin as well as who won.

Trends aren't permenent. A strong candidate with a good campaign can win a state which he normally would not come close to winning, like aw... do I have to say it ... Scott Brown. Jim Ogonoski came within 5 pts of winning a Congressional district in Massachusetts at one of Bush's lowest points ever. Also there is I beleive a Pro-Life Republican Governor in New Jersey.

You mistake trends for absolute gurrantees of success or failure of a candidate. You want the current GOP to fail so it can become more like what you want, you extrapolate trends to make it seemed guarranteed. But it isn't. And you can try nominating someone like what you want here in NC and NC will give real defination to the words "Sweep".

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 01:00:48 AM »

We must live in two different states Tongue  McCrory was a Mayor of the largest city in NC and that is the only reason he came close. Dole, well is Dole and was going to lose no matter what. And Obama won because of the black turn-out. Also, there are 12 elected offices in NC and the Democrats hold 9 out of 12. And won most of them by big margins.

The tea party isn't that big in NC, or not around where I'm at. And North Carolina is trending more Democratic each election cycle, as the state become more urban. Look at Wake, Mecklenburg and Guilford Counties. In 2000 Republican won all three of them, in 2004 Democrats won Mecklenburg and Guilford. And in 2008 Obama won them by a very huge margin.

Funny I have had the same feeling recently. Tongue

1. No sh**t, I could have sworn that McCrory was mayor of hick town in the mountains.

2. So objective on your opinion of Dole. She led prior to Lehman and was still only down by a couple of points up untill the last week when she ran the Godless ad. She could have easily won had the she not run that ad and she wouldn't have run the ad had she been doing better in the polls.

3. Already stated why he won the state.

4. Yes, the Dems controlled many of the those statewide offices but many of them were by margins of 10 pts or less and a better environment nationally would have produced better results.

5. Really, I have the 2000, 2004, and 2008 maps saved in MS Paint and you seem to think I don't know that Wake, Guilford, and Mecklenburgh have trended dem. And once again just because something trends Dem doesn't make it impossible to win.

NC was still R+6 which you can't deny, the facts on ground I mentioned are all true. You like sg0508 are getting very very caught up with Conservatives crashing and burning to suit you are own ideological goals. My advice is don't look for that in the results or use that to make predictions. Stay objective, and avoid stuff like "Dole would have lost, because she is Dole" Well Dole was leading for months and would have won for sure were it not for Lehmen.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »

You are right. Tongue I'm sorry.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »

Grin
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 03:56:33 PM »

Grin

Hagan is about as useless as Dole was, not that Burr has done much more. Burr is an alum of Wake and also a Republican, hence why I had an inside track to that job. My family also knows him from his days in business.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »

I wouldn't get all to worked up about your plans Duke. There is a long way till November.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies