Top congressional districts with the highest of various ancestries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:08:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Top congressional districts with the highest of various ancestries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Top congressional districts with the highest of various ancestries  (Read 8297 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:29 PM »

I'd like to see % Jewish by Congressional Districts. The "winners" would inevitably be in New York (with maybe a Chicagoland or South Florida district further down on the list.)

Top 5, I'd guess in no particular order, are FL-19, FL-22, NY-9, NY-17, and NY-8.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »

I just noticed that in Canada, "Canadian" actually got a plurality of responses for ethnicity (including a super-majority in Quebec which didn't even have the highest percentage of "French" respondents), so that's one area were Canada is actually dumber than us. At least this "American" stupidity here is concentrated only in one (very stupid in general) area.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 11:50:41 AM »

I just noticed that in Canada, "Canadian" actually got a plurality of responses for ethnicity (including a super-majority in Quebec which didn't even have the highest percentage of "French" respondents), so that's one area were Canada is actually dumber than us. At least this "American" stupidity here is concentrated only in one (very stupid in general) area.

The "American" self identification thing is mostly driven by Scots-Irish ancestry rather than region, and just has a regional correlation, because the Scots-Irish tend to be concentrated in one part of the country. At least that is my perception, and what I have read to my recollection.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »

Don makes a valid point. Most of us (but not me) are hybrids mixed with hybrids. How does one identify with one specific ethnicity? I'm still annoyed that my people (Jewish) didn't make the list.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2010, 08:28:10 PM by Verily »

I'd like to see % Jewish by Congressional Districts. The "winners" would inevitably be in New York (with maybe a Chicagoland or South Florida district further down on the list.)

Top 5, I'd guess in no particular order, are FL-19, FL-22, NY-9, NY-17, and NY-8.

Also throw in NJ-9 for good measure. Actually, it's almost certainly more Jewish than NY-17, which I doubt is particularly Jewish for NY State. (Rockland County does not have many more Jews than elsewhere in the NYC metro, and nor do Yonkers or [obviously] Mt. Vernon; Riverdale of course does, but it's no more than 10% of the district.)

Also, NY-5. Limited by being less than majority white, but I bet around half or more of those are Jews.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »

The "American" self identification thing is mostly driven by Scots-Irish ancestry rather than region, and just has a regional correlation, because the Scots-Irish tend to be concentrated in one part of the country. At least that is my perception, and what I have read to my recollection.

It certainly has a strong correlation, although I think stubborn people like Don who are not Scots-Irish have begun to take it up as well. Originally, the Scots-Irish were probably more prone to identifying as "American" than anyone else because they had minimal sense of an ancestral home--Northern Ireland of course not being their ancestors' "original" "homeland" anyway.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »

Also throw in NJ-9 for good measure. Actually, it's almost certainly more Jewish than NY-17, which I doubt is particularly Jewish for NY State. (Rockland County does not have many more Jews than elsewhere in the NYC metro, and nor do Yonkers or [obviously] Mt. Vernon; Riverdale of course does, but it's no more than 10% of the district.)

Also, NY-5. Limited by being less than majority white, but I bet around half or more of those are Jews.

Actually, Rockland County has the highest percentage of Jews in the country. (though only 37% of NY-17 votes in 2008).
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:43 AM »

Actually, Rockland County has the highest percentage of Jews in the country. (though only 37% of NY-17 votes in 2008).

Yes, that was what I had in mind for NY-17. But I mentally blocked out NY-5 for being too racially diverse and my thinking too much of its Jewish population had dispersed to elsewhere, which does not distinguish it from NY-17, so my bad.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 09:28:51 AM »

Don makes a valid point. Most of us (but not me) are hybrids mixed with hybrids. How does one identify with one specific ethnicity? I'm still annoyed that my people (Jewish) didn't make the list.

I think the census reports multiple ancestries. Note how the percentages may add up to over 100%.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 03:40:12 AM »

The census form suggests "Canadian" as an appropriate response.   They also suggest that it might be reasonable to consider in some instances to consider where a grandfather was from, certainly a great-grandparent.  I don't know much more than the State where some of my great-grandparents were born.  Should I make up some further origins for them?

The Canadian census has an extensive section on language, English/French/other, so that people don't need to use that as a surrogate for ethnicity.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 04:17:01 AM »

Can't exactly say I'm surprised to live in the most Italian CD in the country

I would have thought NY-13 was the most Italian, since Staten Island/Richmond is the nation's highest percentage Italian county. I guess that little part of Brooklyn it includes dilutes that.

NY-3 is designed to include the most Republican (read: most Italian) parts of Nassau and western Suffolk County. Whereas NY-13 contains all of Staten Island.

The Brooklyn part of NY-13 is probably not significantly less Italian than the district as a whole. Bay Ridge as a whole was 16.5% Italian, but they're concentrated in the southern area that's in NY-13. Bay Ridge as a whole is 16.6% Irish, 16.5% Italian, 10.8% Arab, 5.4% Chinese and 5.4% Greek. The Arabs and Chinese live mostly at the northern end of the neighborhood, however.

I can't believe Bay Ridge is only 16.5% Italian, thats quite a shock. My stereotype of that neighborhood as Italy West may have to change.

I've wondered why NY-3 has been so resistant to the Democratic tide sweeping New York state since 2006, thanks for explaining that. The district seemed so similar to NY-2 demographically.

The 90's version of NY-2 and NY-3 were a bit closer demographically, though NY-2 has always had a higher minority population.  The pro-incumbent gerrymander of the last redistricting changed it a bit.  Notice how the lines of the Suffolk portion of NY-3 bounce around a bit.  The Suffolk County portion of NY-3 tends to be very Republican, mostly middle class and a relatively small Jewish population.  Especially look how the lines are drawn around Amityville/North Amityville, Copaigue and Bayshore.

The border between NY-2/ and NY-3 in these areas tend to separate heavily African American or Hispanic neighborhoods (on the NY-2 side of the line) from the mostly white neighborhoods (on the NY-3 side).  Many of the portions of Suffolk in NY-3, especially southern Copiage, Lindenhurst and southern Bayshore are heavily Italian.  The south shore of Nassau County (especially the Massapequa area, and into Farmingdale are heavily Italian (North Massapequa is just about 50% Italian)

Also take a look at the areas in eastern Nassau where NY-2 cuts into.  This doesn't play the racial bouncing around game the Suffolk portion does, but the NY-2 portion of Nassau generally covers upper middle class heavily Jewish neighborhoods (Woodbury, Jericho, Syosset, Plainview)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:31 AM »

Can't exactly say I'm surprised to live in the most Italian CD in the country

I would have thought NY-13 was the most Italian, since Staten Island/Richmond is the nation's highest percentage Italian county. I guess that little part of Brooklyn it includes dilutes that.

NY-3 is designed to include the most Republican (read: most Italian) parts of Nassau and western Suffolk County. Whereas NY-13 contains all of Staten Island.

The Brooklyn part of NY-13 is probably not significantly less Italian than the district as a whole. Bay Ridge as a whole was 16.5% Italian, but they're concentrated in the southern area that's in NY-13. Bay Ridge as a whole is 16.6% Irish, 16.5% Italian, 10.8% Arab, 5.4% Chinese and 5.4% Greek. The Arabs and Chinese live mostly at the northern end of the neighborhood, however.

I can't believe Bay Ridge is only 16.5% Italian, thats quite a shock. My stereotype of that neighborhood as Italy West may have to change.

I've wondered why NY-3 has been so resistant to the Democratic tide sweeping New York state since 2006, thanks for explaining that. The district seemed so similar to NY-2 demographically.

NY-3 is also pretty much minority "free."

Yup, though while the whole district is very white, the way the Suffolk portions of NY-3 is carved out makes it really vivid.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 04:24:22 AM »

Yes, that was what I had in mind for NY-17. But I mentally blocked out NY-5 for being too racially diverse and my thinking too much of its Jewish population had dispersed to elsewhere, which does not distinguish it from NY-17, so my bad.

Whites in NY-5 in both the Nassau section and Queens section are heavily Jewish, but the district is extremely racially diverse as well.  NY-2 has a fairly large Jewish population (Huntington, Dix Hills, Melville, Woodbury, Jericho, Syosset, Plainview) though not sure if its large enough to be top 5
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 03:50:09 PM »

Could someone make a map by CD of ancestry? I'd do it, but I haven't been able to find the right data. The data I've found does not include Hispanic or African ancestries. If not, could someone give me a link and I'll do it.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »

Could someone make a map by CD of ancestry? I'd do it, but I haven't been able to find the right data. The data I've found does not include Hispanic or African ancestries. If not, could someone give me a link and I'll do it.

The European ancestry is under "Selected Social Characteristics in the United States". For each district (or state, county, etc.), there is a link to see a Demographic profile, which includes Hispanic, Asian, Native American, and African-American.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 02:20:12 AM »

The 90's version of NY-2 and NY-3 were a bit closer demographically, though NY-2 has always had a higher minority population.  The pro-incumbent gerrymander of the last redistricting changed it a bit.  Notice how the lines of the Suffolk portion of NY-3 bounce around a bit.  The Suffolk County portion of NY-3 tends to be very Republican, mostly middle class and a relatively small Jewish population.  Especially look how the lines are drawn around Amityville/North Amityville, Copaigue and Bayshore.

I've been to Brentwood in recent years and seen how diverse it has become. There are families from all over South America. I don't know if its just there or other places in Western Suffolk. It seems strange that on Long Island the outer suburbs have a higher minority population than the inner ones (although there are Elmont and Hempstead so its not completely true).

The border between NY-2/ and NY-3 in these areas tend to separate heavily African American or Hispanic neighborhoods (on the NY-2 side of the line) from the mostly white neighborhoods (on the NY-3 side).  Many of the portions of Suffolk in NY-3, especially southern Copiage, Lindenhurst and southern Bayshore are heavily Italian.  The south shore of Nassau County (especially the Massapequa area, and into Farmingdale are heavily Italian (North Massapequa is just about 50% Italian)

Also take a look at the areas in eastern Nassau where NY-2 cuts into.  This doesn't play the racial bouncing around game the Suffolk portion does, but the NY-2 portion of Nassau generally covers upper middle class heavily Jewish neighborhoods (Woodbury, Jericho, Syosset, Plainview)

I've found the northern half of Nassau to be much less dense, with more trees and bigger lots, than the south shore. Parts are very wealthy and full of country clubs, like an inner version of the Hamptons. I didn't know those areas were more Jewish than other areas of LI.
JoeyJoeJoe
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.57

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »

Northeast Nassau is, as is Great Neck, but other parts of the North Shore aren't nearly as heavily Jewish.  Inner Nassau suburbs like Valley Stream and New Hyde Park are becoming more minority, as well.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 12:18:19 AM »

Northeast Nassau is, as is Great Neck, but other parts of the North Shore aren't nearly as heavily Jewish.  Inner Nassau suburbs like Valley Stream and New Hyde Park are becoming more minority, as well.

Yet somehow the Southeastern quarter of Nassau has remained untouched by these trends. The Town of Oyster Bay actually had a nearly 1 point swing to the Republicans in 2008, that town forms a large part of NY-3. With all the gains the Democrats have made in the NY State Senate over the past decade, I hope NY-3 is changed significantly and isn't an egregious GOP gerrymander this time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 04:00:55 AM »

The "American" is bull. Those folks should be "unknown." Actual American ancestry

Well, technically they are of American ancestry if their parents were born here.

Ok, then I suspect the most "American" district in the US is a heck of a lot higher than 35%.

Isn't 'American' ancestry codename for 'white racist redneck'?
To an extent. Though you can leave the 'racist' bit out as it's not really a defining characteristic. Tongue

When the ancestry question was introduced, it replaced an earlier question for parents' countries of birth, which had been used for making calculations about "native stock" and "foreign stock" Americans - because there were more and more recognizably "ethnic" whites with two American-born parents. Hence why people of long-standing American stock were tempted to write in "American" or "US". And for some reason, that was more common among rural and southern folk, with urban and northern people of similar backgrounds more likely to put "Scottish" or "English" as the Census designers apparently intended. The first time that happened, the Census basically treated the "Americans" as wrong responses, but later they just accepted it. They're also subsuming a considerable (but much smaller) number of responses for individual states and cities under here.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 04:23:43 AM »

I've been to Brentwood in recent years and seen how diverse it has become. There are families from all over South America. I don't know if its just there or other places in Western Suffolk. It seems strange that on Long Island the outer suburbs have a higher minority population than the inner ones (although there are Elmont and Hempstead so its not completely true).

Thats not exactly true.  Suffolk does have a larger Hispanic population than Nassau, but is more white as well.  The African American and Asian populations are larger in Nassau.  Also Brentwood has always been heavily Hispanic, that is nothing new.  In fact Brentwood and North Bay Shore (which borders Brentwood) are the only two Hispanic majority communities on Long Island.  Also the African American population in Suffolk tends to be larger in Western Suffolk (North Amityville, Wyandanch, Wheatley Heights).  Wheatley Heights is one of the highest income African American communities in the country.

I've found the northern half of Nassau to be much less dense, with more trees and bigger lots, than the south shore. Parts are very wealthy and full of country clubs, like an inner version of the Hamptons. I didn't know those areas were more Jewish than other areas of LI.

The area NY-2 comes in is more mid-Nassau than north shore, though portions of Woodbury will have those huge lots.  The areas I think you are talking about are more along the lines of Matinecock, Muttontown, Greenville, Old Brookville, etc.  All of which are in NY-3, and while they do have some Jewish population are much less so than Jericho, Woodbury, Syosset, Plainview.  All in all I would say the Jewish concentrations in Nassau are the areas I just explained, as well as NW Nassau (Great Neck, Roslyn) SW Nassau (Ceadehurst, Hewlett, Lawrence.  Also across portions of south central Nassau.  Oceanside has a large Jewish area as does the more upper middle class sections of Merrick and Bellmore near the water.  Massapequa has a sizeable Jewish population as well, (it was called MahtzoPizza), but the uber Italian population cancels it out.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 04:35:49 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2010, 04:39:41 AM by Smash255 »

Northeast Nassau is, as is Great Neck, but other parts of the North Shore aren't nearly as heavily Jewish.  Inner Nassau suburbs like Valley Stream and New Hyde Park are becoming more minority, as well.

Yet somehow the Southeastern quarter of Nassau has remained untouched by these trends. The Town of Oyster Bay actually had a nearly 1 point swing to the Republicans in 2008, that town forms a large part of NY-3. With all the gains the Democrats have made in the NY State Senate over the past decade, I hope NY-3 is changed significantly and isn't an egregious GOP gerrymander this time.

To explain SE Nassau

Massapequa 39.6% Italian
Massapequa Park 41% Italian
North Massapequa 48.9% Italian
East Massapequa 29.6% Italian
South Farmingdale 37.8% Italian
Farmingdale 34.3% Italian
Plainedge 37.5% Italian
Bethpage 39.3% Italian

All of the above are in NY-3 and in TOB, Irish % is also high ranging from the mid 20's to low 30's in all of those areas.  Combine for an approx population of 130,000.   

My guess what happens with NY-3 is the Dem heavy areas in East Central Nassau (currently in NY-2) gets switched with some of the GOP areas of NY-3 in Suffolk.  Perhaps playing with the NY-3 portion if Suffolk as well .  They may also flip some areas of NY-3 and NY-4 (give NY-4 Levittown take on Baldwin and Freeport)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2010, 02:20:41 AM »

To explain SE Nassau

Massapequa 39.6% Italian
Plainedge 37.5% Italian
Bethpage 39.3% Italian

All of the above are in NY-3 and in TOB, Irish % is also high ranging from the mid 20's to low 30's in all of those areas.  Combine for an approx population of 130,000.   

My guess what happens with NY-3 is the Dem heavy areas in East Central Nassau (currently in NY-2) gets switched with some of the GOP areas of NY-3 in Suffolk.  Perhaps playing with the NY-3 portion if Suffolk as well .  They may also flip some areas of NY-3 and NY-4 (give NY-4 Levittown take on Baldwin and Freeport)

It couldn't be any worse than NY-3 is right now. It disrupts the sea of red that is the downstate New York district map.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2010, 03:35:57 AM »

To explain SE Nassau

Massapequa 39.6% Italian
Plainedge 37.5% Italian
Bethpage 39.3% Italian

It couldn't be any worse than NY-3 is right now. It disrupts the sea of red that is the downstate New York district map.

It would need to be larger than it was back then for population reasons, but I wouldn't be that surprised if NY-3 looks fairly similar to the 90's version of the district (+ portions of Suffolk)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »

Most people who say Canadian, would mention it along with other ethnicities. For example, I would say "Canadian, English, Irish, Scottish, German"
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 01:54:22 PM »

PA-8 and PA-13 would definitely be in the Top 20, but I'm not so sure about Top 10 compared with some of the NYC or South Florida districts.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies