Worst Candidates in Modern History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:40:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Worst Candidates in Modern History
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: Worst Candidates in Modern History  (Read 31839 times)
cpeeks
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »

Gore came from the most prestigous political family in Tennesse. He was a senator, his father was  a senator and Clinton carried the state twice. Gore made no effort in Tennessee and only lost by 40,000 votes. If he would have made the same effort in Tennessee that he made in Florida, he would have easily carried his home state.
The Chairman
Davidj1161
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »

4. John Kerry - "I voted against it before I voted for it"
Ultimate -facepalm- moment when i heard him say that...
mianfei
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2017, 04:58:45 AM »

I was only going back to 1952! I agree that Landon would've been worse he got about what 3 states?
It’s certainly too rigid to just consider candidates back to 1952!

Landon certainly was a very bad candidate – he was according to all accounts an awful speaker and he won just two states and lost his home state which only Goldwater has lost for the Republicans since. However, my readings on the topic suggest that the Republicans were devoid of quality candidates – Styles Bridges, their most talented prospect, was only thirty-eight at the time, though the reason Landon rejected him as a running mate is sort of silly.

However, Mondale was really no better – the Democrats in 1984 possessed no one who could take the new “anti-personalist” culture that came to dominate during the 1980s. However, what Mondale did was really silly except among the academic culture that was coming to dominate the Boom and 13er generations who were growing up or entering such academic positions at the time. Alan Cranston is the only Democratic candidate listed in articles on the 1984 election who seems from what I have read (lacking personal experience) to have had any hope of capturing this new demographic, and he was only three years younger than Reagan, fourteen years older than Mondale, and eight years older than George McGovern.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2017, 05:02:06 AM »

Hillary. You needed to try very hard to lose to Trump...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2017, 05:20:42 AM »

True, her campaign was a special type of terrible, which basically consisted of insulting anyone who didn't support her.
mianfei
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2017, 05:27:12 AM »

True, her campaign was a special type of terrible, which basically consisted of insulting anyone who didn't support her.
That reminds one of many candidacies that failed far worse – every Democratic candidacy that has lost since Carter, perhaps. One would have to go back to Herbert Hoover to see it succeed, and then the evangelical, dry Upper South and secular Pacific Northwest were facing a religion whose anti-Democratic tenants they vehemently opposed.
catscanjumphigh
Rookie
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:06 AM »

Funny how we'd be talking about Trump had he lost as many expected, wouldn't we?

McGovern, Mondale, and Dukakis were uniquely bad.  Stevenson and Goldwater didn't do very much either.  Al Gore lost even though he won the popular vote, but at the same time he over performed by a large margin than expected so I wouldn't include him as much.  Then there was John Kerry who picked up 2 states, won all 3 debates, won the Democratic Primary by one of the largest margins in modern history, campaigned against a mediocre manufacturing sector, and an unpopular war in Iraq.  Yet Kerry still found a way to lose.  Hillary Clinton might take the cake though.  She led Obama by over 30 in 2008, but lost to him once the primaries started.  In 2016 she led Sanders by over 60 and it still became a race.  Then in August she led Trump by 17 and found a way to lose. 
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2017, 06:27:12 PM »

Walter Mondale number one,
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »

Really hard.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »

There is such thing as running against someone who is too terrible.
Then again, that was Romney's style too.
ClassiCoolidge
Rookie
United States

« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2017, 12:49:16 AM »

Oh I would say McGovern without a question. He was largely unpopular due to his isolationist foreign policy, where we attack only if you attack us. He also ran an agenda that was very unpopular at the time. America was tired of the hippies and protesters of the sixties. That's why Nixon not only won big time, but carried counties that are impossible for Republicans to carry such as Cook, Cuyahoga, King, Queens, and Prince George's.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »

bernie sanders he was a bad fit for the country.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2017, 07:16:53 PM »

Most of the Democratic losers like Hillary, Kerry and Gore seem out of step with the country at times and lost narrowly.

But, the criticisms of their campaigns grew louder as the campaign season grew to a close.  All three of them seem very arrogant at the debates and thought they would win.  But, Obama and Bill Clinton seem reassuring and came across as not arrogant.

I hope Tulsi Gabbard, or Julian Castro in 2020 have looked at the 3 losses and take Trump more seriously than Clinton did.
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2017, 09:11:24 AM »

Walter Mondale in 1984.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies