Worst Candidates in Modern History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Worst Candidates in Modern History
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Worst Candidates in Modern History  (Read 31915 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

Despite the irregularities, Bush Jr. won that election (and he would have won it by a much larger margin if it wasn't for the DUI story). I'd rank Gore as the worst candidate ever since he didn't win despite the fact that the economy and foreign affairs were going in his favor and despite the fact that some embarassing last-minute revalations about Bush Jr. were released right before Election Day.

That's not the point. Gore got more votes, so anybody who cares about democracy should consider him the true winner.

Welcome to America buddy! Our presidents are elected by a majority of people in the majority of states. Anything else is unAmerican!
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »

Whoever said that Bush was defeated by Gore is who I was talking to. I believe that if the western panhandle of FL actually would've been allowed to vote until 7pm their time that Bush would've easily won the PV too. Then all of a sudden you'd see the democrats whining about how it's based on EV not PV. That part of the panhandle is 80-20 GOP.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

Despite the irregularities, Bush Jr. won that election (and he would have won it by a much larger margin if it wasn't for the DUI story). I'd rank Gore as the worst candidate ever since he didn't win despite the fact that the economy and foreign affairs were going in his favor and despite the fact that some embarassing last-minute revalations about Bush Jr. were released right before Election Day.

That's not the point. Gore got more votes, so anybody who cares about democracy should consider him the true winner.

Where in the world is there a more democratic system then in the US? Look at Britain where the voters had no say in the creation of the government after the deadlock. Look at Israel where the number 2 party seat wise is the Government leader. I do like France's runoff system, but the reality is that Bush did win that election. Maybe not fair and square, but a win nonetheless.

Yes I agree with the Mass Dem lol.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2010, 04:51:44 AM »

Where in the world is there a more democratic system then in the US?

I can name two dozen right away.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2010, 05:45:22 AM »

Who else could blow a twenty point lead and not steal the election?

Cameron in 2010
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2010, 11:15:32 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2010, 11:17:30 AM by Bow Wow »

^^^^^^^^^

The goal of the election was to win the Electoral College, not the popular vote. If the goal was to win the popular vote, both candidates would have ran much different campaigns than they did in RL, and who's to say that Bush Jr. wouldn't have won the election anyway? Believe me, if Bush Jr. would have won the PV and Gore would have won the EV, all the Demcorats would be saying how the Electoral College is so great while all the Republicans would be denouncing it.

Also, if you care so much about democracy, does that mean Hillary Clinton should have been the Democratic nominee in 2008? She did get more votes than Barack Obama, after all.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »

Such as?

I love Europe, but many of their government systems are lethally corrupt. I'm part Italian, and have visited there twice. Their entire system is corrupt beyond belief, not to say it's bad, but it's far less democratic than the US. The situation in the UK shows that our system is far more democratic. Look at Thailand and see just how stable and Democratic we are.

P.S.: Al Gore (along with Jimbo Carter) is my least favorite Democrat to win the Democratic nomination in 50 years, and probably the only one that I could never see myself voting for. He is a complete flip-flopper, an opportunist, and a terrible candidate. He has no root values that drive his political convictions. I would have voted for Bradley in 2000, and either Bush or Nader in the general, but not Gore.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »

Such as?

I love Europe, but many of their government systems are lethally corrupt. I'm part Italian, and have visited there twice. Their entire system is corrupt beyond belief, not to say it's bad, but it's far less democratic than the US. The situation in the UK shows that our system is far more democratic. Look at Thailand and see just how stable and Democratic we are.

P.S.: Al Gore (along with Jimbo Carter) is my least favorite Democrat to win the Democratic nomination in 50 years, and probably the only one that I could never see myself voting for. He is a complete flip-flopper, an opportunist, and a terrible candidate. He has no root values that drive his political convictions. I would have voted for Bradley in 2000, and either Bush or Nader in the general, but not Gore.

I agree with everything you said about Gore, but he isn't the only politician who flip-flopped on a lot of things. Hillary Clinton and John Kerry flip-flopped on the Iraq War, along with many other Democrats (but not Gore). Also, Bush Sr. did a complete U-turn of most of his policies after 1980. Finally, Reagan flip-flopped on abortion and Medicare. I don't see what makes Gore so bad. As Senator, he catered to a different constituency than as VP and a presidential candidate. I agree with what you said about Carter--he was just too incompetent and indecisive to be President.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

Such as?

I agree with everything you said about Gore, but he isn't the only politician who flip-flopped on a lot of things. Hillary Clinton and John Kerry flip-flopped on the Iraq War, along with many other Democrats (but not Gore). Also, Bush Sr. did a complete U-turn of most of his policies after 1980. Finally, Reagan flip-flopped on abortion and Medicare. I don't see what makes Gore so bad. As Senator, he catered to a different constituency than as VP and a presidential candidate. I agree with what you said about Carter--he was just too incompetent and indecisive to be President.

A lot of it's just that I don't like Al Gore. He just rubs me the wrong way.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

The goal of the election was to win the Electoral College, not the popular vote. If the goal was to win the popular vote, both candidates would have ran much different campaigns than they did in RL, and who's to say that Bush Jr. wouldn't have won the election anyway? Believe me, if Bush Jr. would have won the PV and Gore would have won the EV, all the Demcorats would be saying how the Electoral College is so great while all the Republicans would be denouncing it.

Also, if you care so much about democracy, does that mean Hillary Clinton should have been the Democratic nominee in 2008? She did get more votes than Barack Obama, after all.

Well said. The dems would've been all about the EV and not the PV had it been the other way around.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2010, 05:55:12 PM »

Me too and I'm glad because we live in a Representative Republic. It's to the Republic for which it stands, not the democracy.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2010, 06:51:21 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

How about Greece about...2500 years ago? 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

lol. Only wealthy men who had served in the army could vote in ancient Greece.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2010, 10:21:35 PM »

Such as?

Most anywhere!

I don't love Europe (quite the contrary), but I know a crooked system when I see one. The method of electing the President, a position with huge power, does not purport to be democratic. The Senate is nearly anti-democratic.

I like how you say "many" and then refer only to Italy. Italy's one of the worst cases on the continent, but even fake-PR in both houses is better than what America has with its Congress. Italy certainly isn't corrupt beyond beliefe, either: I hail from Bangladesh, a fake democracy, and what goes on in Italy is nothing. Thailand is another fake democracy. I never claimed it was more democratic than the United States.

As for the United Kingdom, 10 parties had candidates elected in the last election. I believe Vito Marcantonio was the last third-party candidate elected to Congress. It's hard to really have democracy when the only competitors for votes are two organizations that aren't really even parties, but rather extensions of the state.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

You're right there. Ancient Greece was not the democracy that we know democracy to be today. Plato calls it the second most perverted form of the 5 governments in "The Repubic."
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

It was only half way sarcasm.  I think it still says something that the Ancient Greeks had a direct democracy (even if it was not universal suffrage) and we don't.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

It was only half way sarcasm.  I think it still says something that the Ancient Greeks had a direct democracy (even if it was not universal suffrage) and we don't.

I would rather live in an indirect democracy where every non-felon over 18 is able to vote than live in a direct democracy where only a small minority of the adult population is able to vote.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »

^^^^^^^^^

Explain yourself. We have a representative republic. A direct democracy would lead to a mob where the majority could make the minority slaves. Yes, the constitution of our republic prevents such acts from happening. With that we aren't true democracy. Somehow I doubt this is what you were getting at though.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

Explain yourself. We have a representative republic. A direct democracy would lead to a mob where the majority could make the minority slaves. Yes, the constitution of our republic prevents such acts from happening. With that we aren't true democracy. Somehow I doubt this is what you were getting at though.

Of course neo-cons such as yourself oppose full democracy.  We don't want the citizens with too much power; it's the government's job to decide what's best.

I support direct democracy.  Whoever gets more votes wins the election.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:01 PM »

^^^^^^^^^

Of course neo-cons such as yourself oppose full democracy.  We don't want the citizens with too much power; it's the government's job to decide what's best.

I support direct democracy.  Whoever gets more votes wins the election.

I'm sorry to hear that. I support a system of checks and balances. That way no citizens has too much power which leads to a mobs. Also, the government can't have too much power or they'll be voted out of office or in some cases violating the constitution. This country protects the minority from the majority.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2010, 03:13:52 PM »

Anyone else?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »

Just to think of it, if we had a direct democracy, the House would be our parliament.

That would mean Nancy Pelosi as PM. (Yeah, that would really make the neocons happy)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »

Just to think of it, if we had a direct democracy, the House would be our parliament.

That would mean Nancy Pelosi as PM. (Yeah, that would really make the neocons happy)

and it wouldn't last a day
jimsnaza
Rookie
United States

« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »

1. John Kerry (Couldn't beat George W. Bush)
2. Jimmy Carter (Couldn't beat Ronald Reagan)
3. George McGovern (Couldn't beat Richard Nixon)

Gore beat Bush

And, Wallace did as well as he should have. He was a racist. He won the South. That makes sense.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »

Again?

lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length