At what age did you realize your current religious beliefs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:21:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  At what age did you realize your current religious beliefs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: At what age did you realize your current religious beliefs?  (Read 2398 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:55 AM »

Not sure exactly, but then who could possibly define the exact age at which they become able to think logically and rationally?

More often than not, one's religious beliefs transform somewhat over time. I am interested in hearing about the age forumers came to realize the beliefs they currently hold. Nothing about these beliefs, of course, is obligated to be in any way logical or rational. Hell, I'm not even sure if my own beliefs are logical or rational.

Ok, but any supposition that doesn't abide by the simple rules of logic and rationality is inherently counter-intuitive.

But to answer your question, I have no idea.  But then I also have no idea when I came to the conclusion that a jolly fat man who delivers gifts to millions of children all over the world in a single night by way of flying reindeer couldn't possibly exist either.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »

Assuming any set of beliefs were rooted in logic and rationality rather than what we call faith, wouldn't that make a belief set, rather, a fact? If that were the case, those who held different beliefs from us would be seen as people who are living in denial. Or I'm just wrong, lol.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 12:26:04 AM »

Assuming any set of beliefs were rooted in logic and rationality rather than what we call faith, wouldn't that make a belief set, rather, a fact? If that were the case, those who held different beliefs from us would be seen as people who are living in denial. Or I'm just wrong, lol.

No, you're absolutely right.  If a belief is grounded in logic and rationality, then chances are it is also fact.  If a conflicting belief is not based as such, then that believer is most likely living in denial.  This tends to be the case with people of 'faith'; a concept I have never seen any validity in.
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »

No, you're absolutely right.  If a belief is grounded in logic and rationality, then chances are it is also fact.  If a conflicting belief is not based as such, then that believer is most likely living in denial.  This tends to be the case with people of 'faith'; a concept I have never seen any validity in.

Then I can accept your argument and fully understand your viewpoint. Smiley
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 12:50:13 AM »

I'm what most would refer to as Missouri synod Lutheran because I do believe that prayer fits Luther's definition of a sacrament. However, my roommate freshmen year of college pushed me to question everything at 18 to the point that I see the Bible as a preservation of Jewish history with warnings of an apocalypse. I still am a Christian because I believe Jesus died for our sins.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 04:39:11 AM »

At 7, one side I had the school/dinosaurs magazine version, on the other side the Catholic catechism version of creation, the school/dinosaurs magazines made more sense to me, also this kind of invisible stuff you can enter in contact with, I tried but always founded it weird, anyhow since that age I never stopped to go in the same direction, with a bit more depths...

EDIT: Oh sorry, I answered in the sense of my 'non-religious beliefs'.

Quick point: The Catholic Church is not and has not been "creationist" for quite some time. 

Well, I'm sorry, but my catechism, that was a quite classical one (even if in Aubazine, the place I was in during that epoch had some kind of very fervent new catholic groups which by some aspects could make think to some evangelical groups, but the priest of that village was a very classical Catholic one), in which I've been taught the creation in 7 days and all the classical stuffs without going through eventual subtleties between the texts and their eventual metaphorical contents, that was basic and linear and with beautiful draws that were very pleasant, and done by a couple of nice olds, and this was this way maybe because they taught 7 years old then didn't want to go too far, dunno, but that was like that, and I made a choice between it and other sources at that age, maybe sometimes reality doesn't directly fit in 'big very well known schemes', way to say it.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »

Not sure exactly, but then who could possibly define the exact age at which they become able to think logically and rationally?

More often than not, one's religious beliefs transform somewhat over time. I am interested in hearing about the age forumers came to realize the beliefs they currently hold. Nothing about these beliefs, of course, is obligated to be in any way logical or rational. Hell, I'm not even sure if my own beliefs are logical or rational.

Ok, but any supposition that doesn't abide by the simple rules of logic and rationality is inherently counter-intuitive.

Unless I misunderstand something here, rather, I'd say that when you decide to pass off the facts to a more or less big extent, then you can just base yourself on intuition, that's more intuitive than counter-intuitive then.

Other than that, outside of the fact that 'rules of logic and rationality' seem to have changed throughout History, even if a lot of things can be commonly accepted in a more or less consensual way, facts can change according to viewpoints, and few subtleties here or there in some viewpoints can change a lot of things.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 06:47:23 PM »

Lack of in my case...

My parents were raised Jewish and Catholic, respectively, and as a child when asked my religion I said "both Jewish and Christian". Then as I got older I realized it was more neither than both, and soon after would identify as being non-religious.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 06:30:58 AM »

20-ish.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2010, 01:40:48 PM »

I suppose I realized that I was comfortable with my parents lack of religion, and that it comported with my own skeptical nature at about the age of 10 or 11 or so. Belief or lack of belief has never had much salience for me. It just doesn't matter.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 03:00:55 PM »

I've been agnostic my whole life.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »

An interesting question.

I used to identify as an "Atheist" until about 12, when I had a lot of personal stress in my family life and really began looking at the things around myself.

I've only been to church about 10 times in my life, and I've never really identified with a specific dogma, but I unequivocally identify as "Christian - Other." I'm not religious at all, but consider myself very spiritual.

I've never read the Bible itself, and can't really name any specific commandments, but I've always lived by the simple rule of "Love your neighbor" and I've always felt a special sense of destiny.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies