So the economy has been improving for some time now.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:32:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  So the economy has been improving for some time now.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: So the economy has been improving for some time now.  (Read 2335 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »

tell about it improving to someone who is still unemployed in Michigan or California. It's ok everybody can buy a truck right.

How is Pittsburgh doing so well?  sh**t, it looks like everywhere I go in the country, including here, there's more than a few Steelers fans who were from Pittsburgh or have some relative from there.  My guess is it's probably a lot like Philly.  You basically have a low unemployment rate because people who were SOL with the steel mills moved to the eastern mid-Atlantic (when we weren't so bad), Virginia, or the Carolinas plus you guys seem to have a lot of retirements.  One stat I noticed is the drop in the Labor Force nominal number in the Pittsburgh area even when it was supposedly "weathering the recession".  Funny, I guess the jobs there are nurses and doctors taking care of the retired steel mill workers and the collateral colleges that come with them.  I laugh when people say Philadelphia is "weathering the storm" too.  What a joke!  PA's unemployment rate, while below the national average doesn't tell the entire story.     

Simple. The Steelers are the best franchise in modern history. Yes, many have moved since the 70's, but ppl who root for them out of Pittsburgh now are children and even grandchildren of those who migrated. As far as doing well, we're not. Looking at our recent economic past though, you'd think we'd get hit alot harder 2 years ago or almost 2 years ago now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 12:16:52 AM »

Could have fooled me. Florida has record high unemployment.

We beat you by 0.3% on that BS indicator.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 04:10:36 AM »

Could have fooled me. Florida has record high unemployment.

We beat you by 0.3% on that BS indicator.

I couldn't find many jobs in Orlando when I lived there right after the collapse of the housing market. What is the unemployment rate in CA?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 02:30:28 AM »

tell about it improving to someone who is still unemployed in Michigan or California. It's ok everybody can buy a truck right.

How is Pittsburgh doing so well?  sh**t, it looks like everywhere I go in the country, including here, there's more than a few Steelers fans who were from Pittsburgh or have some relative from there.  My guess is it's probably a lot like Philly.  You basically have a low unemployment rate because people who were SOL with the steel mills moved to the eastern mid-Atlantic (when we weren't so bad), Virginia, or the Carolinas plus you guys seem to have a lot of retirements.  One stat I noticed is the drop in the Labor Force nominal number in the Pittsburgh area even when it was supposedly "weathering the recession".  Funny, I guess the jobs there are nurses and doctors taking care of the retired steel mill workers and the collateral colleges that come with them.  I laugh when people say Philadelphia is "weathering the storm" too.  What a joke!  PA's unemployment rate, while below the national average doesn't tell the entire story.     

Simple. The Steelers are the best franchise in modern history. Yes, many have moved since the 70's, but ppl who root for them out of Pittsburgh now are children and even grandchildren of those who migrated. As far as doing well, we're not. Looking at our recent economic past though, you'd think we'd get hit alot harder 2 years ago or almost 2 years ago now.

From what co-workers of mine in their 40s or 50s from the Pittsburgh area were telling me they were practically a regional Great Depression.  Sure it looks better now with the sugarcoating of hospitals and colleges (and I love how Onorato's bragging about it Tongue)  .  Thing is what will happen after all the retired steel mill workers die off?  I keep saying to people you can not have an economy based off those 2 things.  If people really think that than Pittsburgh and for that matter Philadelphia and a handful of other cities are as screwed as Detroit.  Oh and I forgot government.  D.C/Maryland/NoVa area is looking mighty well right now, but for how long?
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:47 AM »

the population growth in philly has not grown much over the past several decades, and during that time period my city has seen much genterfication.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2010, 07:08:13 PM by phknrocket1k »

HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »

what is that supposed to mean?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »

Copy and paste the URL into an address bar.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 09:12:05 AM »

Unfortunately I cannot find my address bar. I have a mac book pro, and one day my URL bar disappeared. It would be so helpful if someone could instruct me on how to get it back.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies