The South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:54:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  The South
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: The South  (Read 14514 times)
GOPhound
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2004, 06:55:23 PM »
« edited: March 14, 2004, 06:59:35 PM by GOPhound »

That is a good point.  We hear a lot about how the Dems need to break the GOP lock on the South, but I think the Dems have an even stronger hold on the Northeast.  Also, they seem to be getting stronger in GA,NC,VA.  This is something that bothers me and I think the pubbies are going to have to deal it sooner rather than later.

Clinton showed that the right Democrat can win in the South.  I can't think of any Republican today who could do so well in the Northeast.  Maybe there are a few but they probably couldn't get the nomination.  

I really think it's going to be tougher and tougher for a Republican to win the Presidency with the way the demographics are changing.  Dick Morris has spoke about this.  Assuming Bush wins, he thinks Hillary is a certainty for President unless the GOP nominates Colin Powell or Condoleeza Rice.

zachman

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2004, 06:56:21 PM »

McCain would destroy every electoral trend. No other Republican would.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2004, 06:58:22 PM »

That is a good point.  We hear a lot about how the Dems need to break the GOP lock on the South, but I think the Dems have an even stronger hold on the Northeast.  This is something that bothers me and I think the pubbies are going to have to deal it sooner rather than later.

Clinton showed that the right Democrat can win in the South.  I can't think of any Republican today who could do so well in the Northeast.  Maybe there are a few but they probably couldn't get the nomination.  

Maybe Guiliani, I think he'd take NJ, PA, and NY away.  But he's WAY to liberal for the South, or to get the nomination.  You think the GOP's gonna nominate someone pro-choice to be their president?  Not a chance.  Anyway, all the Dems would have to do is nominate Edwards.  He'd sweep the south against Guiliani.  
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2004, 07:08:51 PM »

I recon that by the time states such as GA, VA, FL, NC and SC have trended to be leaning Dem states (say around 2020 or 2024?) states such as MN, IA and WI will be leaning towards the GOP in a similar way to how Kentucky and Indiana do today while states such as IL, PA and MI will remain competive because of the large urban population who will lean towards the Dems…the west I would see as being competitive rather than leaning towards the Dems and the GOP wont just let its self become irrelevant and will move with the times in reality social and moral issues will reach some kind of moderate consensus within both party’s that neither liberals or conservatives will be totally satisfied with but they will not be inclined to break with the DNC or the RNC (respectively) in truth I would expect economic issues to once again be the main dividing line in US politics…      
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2004, 07:13:07 PM »

I recon that by the time states such as GA, VA, FL, NC and SC have trended to be leaning Dem states (say around 2020 or 2024?) states such as MN, IA and WI will be leaning towards the GOP in a similar way to how Kentucky and Indiana do today while states such as IL, PA and MI will remain competive because of the large urban population who will lean towards the Dems…the west I would see as being competitive rather than leaning towards the Dems and the GOP wont just let its self become irrelevant and will move with the times in reality social and moral issues will reach some kind of moderate consensus within both party’s that neither liberals or conservatives will be totally satisfied with but they will not be inclined to break with the DNC or the RNC (respectively) in truth I would expect economic issues to once again be the main dividing line in US politics…      

I think America will always be fine, that's why economic diferences were never that big with me.  Cultural issues always sway me in a certain direction the most, and its always to the left.  I can't bring myself to be any part conservative knowing thats the side Jerry Falwell is on.  I'd hit that man if i saw him, no lie.  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2004, 07:23:16 PM »

You think the GOP's gonna nominate someone pro-choice to be their president?  Not a chance.  

They did in 1996 and they will again.  That's the difference between the big tent of the Republican Party and the narrower-minded Democrats.  You can't think like a Democrat if you want to understand the GOP.  When a Republican says 'diversity' it means real ideological diversity, not the skin-deep shallowness that a Democrat means when he says 'diversity.'
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2004, 07:30:50 PM »

A Democrat doesn't have to appeal to the religious right to be competitive in the South.  Clinton didn't do that.  However, you can't be a John Kerry either.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2004, 10:20:59 PM »

Fiscal conservatism would score big time in the South and the Midwest. A candidate like Gov. Warner or Sen. Bayh would sweep quit a bit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies