April 2010 Senate Watch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 09:14:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  April 2010 Senate Watch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: April 2010 Senate Watch  (Read 10075 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 03:42:15 AM »

Has bullmoose even campaigned for the seat he's probably going to win? I've seen nothing to make it seem like he actually is around and wants it besides actually voting today. Tongue

Don't worry, he's a JCP member.

Bullmoose's 98% voting approval rate says he's doing something right other than simply his choice of a party.

And MJ, surely you could say the same for Libertas, no? Probably much more so when he fell at (almost) the opposite extreme of approval rating.

On another note, I'm also sad Andrew wasn't elected. Sad
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 03:59:56 AM »

Has bullmoose even campaigned for the seat he's probably going to win? I've seen nothing to make it seem like he actually is around and wants it besides actually voting today. Tongue

Bullmoose's 98% voting approval rate says he's doing something right other than simply his choice of a party.

And MJ, surely you could say the same for Libertas, no? Probably much more so when he fell at (almost) the opposite extreme of approval rating.

How exactly would this voting approval rate happen to be determined, if I might ask?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 04:08:02 AM »

How exactly would this voting approval rate happen to be determined, if I might ask?

Good question. Upon rereading Franzl's post, it appears that's 98 approval votes, not percentage.

I assume that catagory shows the number of votes one received at least a top 5 preference.

Regardless, Bullmoose finishing first in that category by a very healthy margin again indicates the idea he got elected only by virtue of his party membership as opposed to his long and respected record in Atlasia to be a bit Roll Eyes-worthy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 04:14:52 AM »

Good question. Upon rereading Franzl's post, it appears that's 98 approval votes, not percentage.

I assume that catagory shows the number of votes one received at least a top 5 preference.

Regardless, Bullmoose finishing first in that category by a very healthy margin again indicates the idea he got elected only by virtue of his party membership as opposed to his long and respected record in Atlasia to be a bit Roll Eyes-worthy.

Especially when one considers the number of third preferences he received from members of the Populares. While being a JCPer is a great bonus to a candidate, I think it would be more accurate to say his commanding performance was despite his party than because of it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 04:33:12 AM »

I assume that category shows the number of votes one received at least a top 5 preference.

Especially when one considers the number of third preferences he received from members of the Populares. While being a JCPer is a great bonus to a candidate, I think it would be more accurate to say his commanding performance was despite his party than because of it.

Exactly. These results are also an excellent argument for adopting the Mideast's election system of counting most 1st prefs, 1st and 2nd prefs, 1st-3rd prefs, etc. till all seats are filled. It encourages election based on broad public appeal vs. fervent narrow ideological support, and is somewhat easier to calculate as well.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 04:35:25 AM »

While that would be nice, but I'd don't think the actual results would support such a contention.

Bullmoose voters (I think I'm missing one, but anyway...):
J.J., Antonio, Mr. Moderate, BRTD, Sam Spade, CultureKing, MaxQue, Alcon, Peter, Meeker, Badger, bullmoose
[JCP voters in green]

How many of the JCP votes would have given bullmoose a #1 or #2 preference in the absence of the JCP label? How many their #3?

Presuming the JCP voters would have stuck with their official candidates in #1 and #2 on their ballots (and that the JCP wouldn't have run another candidate), bullmoose would have needed to monopolise the JCP #3 preferences from the above voters (and indeed the other JCP voters) to be competitive.

We can't know the numbers for sure, but it looks a lot like bullmoose would have been fighting a very tough battle to get elected without the backing of the JCP. (I'd suggest he would have been in a battle with Mechaman for 6th, but as I say we can't really know for sure.)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »

And fudge. The DA can't even elect one flipping at-large Senator in this system, even if our candidate was rather popular. If anybody in the DA wants me to resign, I'm offering my resignation on basis of this electoral failure.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:16 AM »

And fudge. The DA can't even elect one flipping at-large Senator in this system, even if our candidate was rather popular. If anybody in the DA wants me to resign, I'm offering my resignation on basis of this electoral failure.

I wish Andrew won as well too.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »

Well besides wishing Andrew could have been elected I must say that bullmoose is a huge improvement over Fritz.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 10:18:32 AM »

It's also worth noting that the JCP merely held ground here, reelecting two incumbents and Bullmoose picking up Fritz's seat. With the RPP/AFL-CIO and Pops each keeping a seat, the party makeup of the Senate remains unchanged.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »

It's also worth noting that the JCP merely held ground here, reelecting two incumbents and Bullmoose picking up Fritz's seat. With the RPP/AFL-CIO and Pops each keeping a seat, the party makeup of the Senate remains unchanged.

It does remain unchanged, but only because you picked up the DA seat in a by-election; under 'normal' circumstances, you'd have lost that.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2010, 12:31:12 PM by Mideast Assemblyman HappyWarrior »

It isn't your fault Hash.  Quite simply the other parties have become too strong.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »

Bullmoose did very well with high-but-not-first preferences. You'll see he gained two votes when Xahar was eliminated, and two more when Mechaman was eliminated. Considering the Populares gave Bullmoose their third preference (and a lot of their voters actually voted that way), if it had gone on one more round I suspect most of Libertas' surplus would have gone to Bullmoose.

But I guess I shouldn't bother with logic... I think we're all used to the typical anti-JCP sore loser rhetoric after elections by now.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »

Bullmoose did very well with high-but-not-first preferences. You'll see he gained two votes when Xahar was eliminated, and two more when Mechaman was eliminated. Considering the Populares gave Bullmoose their third preference (and a lot of their voters actually voted that way), if it had gone on one more round I suspect most of Libertas' surplus would have gone to Bullmoose.

But I guess I shouldn't bother with logic... I think we're all used to the typical anti-JCP sore loser rhetoric after elections by now.

Well I guess I should say good job to your party for running such a strong campaign, also to the Populares and AFL-CIO for the same Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2010, 12:36:48 PM »

Bullmoose and Andrew should both have been elected. The only one who shouldn't be there is Libertas.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »

There are only two coherent forces left in Atlasia, and the DA isn't one of them. The RPP appears to have rather amusingly taken centrist votes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »

The DA is, to all intents and purposes, dead. Which isn't to say that it must remain so, or that the brand of liberalism it represents has no future in fantasyland.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »

The DA is, to all intents and purposes, dead. Which isn't to say that it must remain so, or that the brand of liberalism it represents has no future in fantasyland.

I'd argue that it's been dead since at least the presidential elections. It's important to remember that afleitch was not the DA candidate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2010, 12:57:51 PM »

Your party has a problem, and if Purple State and I can't win in June, you are in serious, serious danger. But take a look at something you may already know:

2nd count:
Bacon King: 15.364
AndrewCT: 12.636
Badger: 18.182 ELECTED
Bullmoose: 15.546
Libertas: 17.091
Mechaman: 9.182 ELIMINATED

3rd count:
Bacon King: 16.364 ELECTED
AndrewCT: 12.818
Bullmoose: 17.546 ELECTED
Libertas: 21.273 ELECTED

invalid votes:
Jokerman (not registered to vote)
Boris (voted too late)

I hereby declare that the following are elected to the Senate:

Duke, Badger, Libertas, Bullmoose and Bacon King

AndrewCT needed four more votes to get elected, not counting the changes that would be made if some JCP dropped a little.

Franzl, member of the DA, voted for Duke first, and preferenced Bullmoose above AndrewCT.

Ben, member of the DA, put AndrewCT in four preference also with a JCP candidate above AndrewCT.

Devilman88/Josh, member of the DA, voted for Duke above AndrewCT.

The President, Afleitch, and member of the DA, didn't even vote.

A little bit of unity, the Senate seat would've been yours. (Also looking at these preferences sovers a bit of the "omgz the JCP is dominating the senate election" hype.)

You have the support there in your ranks, your ranks just don't seem particularly focused on fighting for the good of the party.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »

I'd argue that it's been dead since at least the presidential elections. It's important to remember that afleitch was not the DA candidate.

Indeed. Afletich was an insurgent who happened to be DA member. DA leadership supported joint ticket with JCP.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »

The President, Afleitch, and member of the DA, didn't even vote.

Shame.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »

It was not our intention to deprieve Andrew of a Senate seat, I wanted him to win. I wasn't expecting the DAers who we won to not second preference AndrewCT, we thought it would be a given that would happen. We didn't expect Franzl to be one of them either, or Afleitch to not vote. We also didn't expect the JCP to turn out so well. When we entered this cycle the AFL-CIO faced the problem of being the weakest party going into this election and the risk of us losing our seat to the Populares was extremely high. We played for keeps and took nothing for granted, especially Duke who deserves all the credit for making a potentially losing bid into the number one candidate in first preferences. Thats an incredible feat. The AFL-CIO was also extremely  unified with 87.5% of those who turned out voting for our guy and that other 12.5%  second preferenced Duke despite criticism of Duke's rino tendencies.

There are only two coherent forces left in Atlasia, and the DA isn't one of them. The RPP appears to have rather amusingly taken centrist votes.

Run a moderate candidate, get a bunch of centrist votes, seems pretty reasonable to me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2010, 02:49:23 PM »

While that would be nice, but I'd don't think the actual results would support such a contention.

Bullmoose voters (I think I'm missing one, but anyway...):
J.J., Antonio, Mr. Moderate, BRTD, Sam Spade, CultureKing, MaxQue, Alcon, Peter, Meeker, Badger, bullmoose
[JCP voters in green]

How many of the JCP votes would have given bullmoose a #1 or #2 preference in the absence of the JCP label? How many their #3?

Presuming the JCP voters would have stuck with their official candidates in #1 and #2 on their ballots (and that the JCP wouldn't have run another candidate), bullmoose would have needed to monopolise the JCP #3 preferences from the above voters (and indeed the other JCP voters) to be competitive.

We can't know the numbers for sure, but it looks a lot like bullmoose would have been fighting a very tough battle to get elected without the backing of the JCP. (I'd suggest he would have been in a battle with Mechaman for 6th, but as I say we can't really know for sure.)

Without doubt, being a JCPer greatly increased his odds of winning. My point was that being a JCPer made his large number of higher preferences more difficult to achieve, due to the significant proportion of Atlasians who hold negative opinions of the JCP.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

It isn't your fault Hash.  Quite simply the other parties have become too strong.

Our party is dead. Let's not sugercoat the fact, and let's, for once, do something, fuck. I've long argued for more party coherence and unity, but people didn't care much. Look what we've become. A joke party, with members voting however they flipping well want. A coalition of people with little regard for the interests of the party. The Atlasian PMDB.

My message to the party is clear. Either we reform, we adopt a real structure and fundamentally change something; or we keep going like before, denying the changing nature of this thing and continuing our slow death.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2010, 03:50:13 PM »

I have a lot of respect for the party I've been a member of since the very beginning, but I've always been proud of the fact that we've been so willing to support various candidates and parties and not just hold the party line like the other parties do.

I honestly don't believe the "party's interests" should be the most important factor in considering how to vote....and if we were to become a party that demanded such complete loyalty, I would seriously consider becoming an independent voter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies