AZ Bill: Cops to ask for ID for 'reasonable suspicion' of immigration status
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:30:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AZ Bill: Cops to ask for ID for 'reasonable suspicion' of immigration status
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: AZ Bill: Cops to ask for ID for 'reasonable suspicion' of immigration status  (Read 8586 times)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »

Really though, is this even constitutional?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »

The next logical step would be for Big Brother to start watching you brown people. As long as it's not white people! They are the victims, and our future.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2010, 03:23:35 AM »

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were "against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law."

Pearce said the legislation would remove "political handcuffs" from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.

"Illegal is illegal," said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. "We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms."

Anyone wanna bet this guy opposes legal abortion?  Dick.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2010, 03:31:58 AM »

The bill's Republican sponsor, state Rep. Russell Pearce of Mesa, said Obama and other critics of the bill were "against law enforcement, our citizens and the rule of law."

Pearce said the legislation would remove "political handcuffs" from police and help drive illegal immigrants from the state.

"Illegal is illegal," said Pearce, a driving force on the issue in Arizona. "We'll have less crime. We'll have lower taxes. We'll have safer neighborhoods. We'll have shorter lines in the emergency rooms. We'll have smaller classrooms."

What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2010, 04:01:32 AM »

You know this time I have to totally agree with Libertas on this one.
What the freakin flying craptoilet does abortion have to do with this man's stance on immigration enforcement?
I'm saying this as somebody who is pro-choice and pro-amnesty (both to a certain extent though).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2010, 12:05:29 PM »

What the freakin flying craptoilet does abortion have to do with this man's stance on immigration enforcement?
I'm saying this as somebody who is pro-choice and pro-amnesty (both to a certain extent though).

I think Ebowed is saying that Russell Pearce is using less crime, lower taxes, safer neighborhoods, shorter emergency room lines, and smaller classrooms as rationale for cracking down on illegal immigrants, and that he would be hypocritical for being against abortion because banning abortion would increase all those things he mentioned.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2010, 01:15:40 PM »

I think Ebowed is saying that Russell Pearce is using less crime, lower taxes, safer neighborhoods, shorter emergency room lines, and smaller classrooms as rationale for cracking down on illegal immigrants, and that he would be hypocritical for being against abortion because banning abortion would increase all those things he mentioned.

If that is the case, there's a not-so-subtle racist strain running beneath Ebowed's post...
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »

I'm not sure what is worse, this law, or the shameless arrogance of everybody posting in this thread Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »

If that is the case, there's a not-so-subtle racist strain running beneath Ebowed's post...

Only if you also agree with Pearce that illegal immigration increases all of these negatively perceived things.  Abortion, on the other hand, has hardly anything to do with race.  (Not that I personally would use the argument that abortion decreases crime, saves money, allows for smaller classrooms and so on as a reason to support its legality, since I approach the issue on philosophical grounds.)  Latinos all across Arizona have good reason to be fearful of mistreatment by law enforcement.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »

I heard that there's this US Senator who needs to be deported to his birthplace in Panama.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »

From PoliPundit:
I don’t see what’s so controversial about a law that is supported by 70 percent of Arizonans, including 51 percent of Democrats. It’s certainly not as controversial as, say, Obamacare.

cool story bro, support does make things less controversial.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies