What has Christianity ever done for humanity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:48:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What has Christianity ever done for humanity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What has Christianity ever done for humanity?  (Read 3104 times)
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 11:59:51 AM »

Stupid, Gustaf?  Probably nothing in history has cause more wars and death than religion........now that's stupid. 

I'd disagree with that.
Nationalism, racism, non-religious ideologies and the battle of dynasties caused more much war and death.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »

Stupid, Gustaf?  Probably nothing in history has cause more wars and death than religion........now that's stupid.  

I'd disagree with that.
Nationalism, racism, non-religious ideologies and the battle of dynasties caused more much war and death.

Maybe you're right and I was over-reaching a bit, but damn man far far too much death and destruction has occurred in the name of a "god".

God preaches love and I'll kill you if you don't see it my way......again, stupid.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »

Without Christianity, Islam probably would have conquered the West, and we'd all be living under the Taliban.

No, Islam is just an extension of Christianity.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.secondexodus.com/html/evangelization/evangelizingmuslims.htm

No Islam is distinctly different from Christianity.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:44 PM »

I'm gonna go with Al's original line of thought: what a stupid question.

Stupid, Gustaf?  Probably nothing in history has cause more wars and death than religion........now that's stupid. 

How does that makes the question less stupid? What has Christianity ever done for humanity? Knives have probably caused more deaths than most inventions but asking what knives have ever done for humanity would be still mind-blowingly stupid.

Most of those wars and deaths were hardly about religion anyway. They were often power grabs and in many other cases an effect of the evolutionary instinct of human beings to identify     others as enemies and kill them. These others can be defined in different terms but the terms themselves are not really to blame.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »

Without Christianity, Islam probably would have conquered the West, and we'd all be living under the Taliban.

Cool.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 01:45:52 PM »

In one sense I would say that if Christianity did not exist then we wouldn't be having this conversation because the universe would cease to exist.

And why exactly would the universe not exist if Christianity didn't?

I accept it as true. If God doesn't exist, the God of the Bible, then neither do we. You're absolutely free to disagree, and I know you do.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »

Some other guy would have claimed to be the Son of God.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »

Okay seriously, if Christianity didn't exist, we'd be farther along technologically and not have annoying evangelicals who picket soldiers' funerals (as a guy in the military and Navy sailor, this is infuriating).

Christianity has brought eternal salvation to hundreds of millions (if not billions) of people throughout history.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »

In one sense I would say that if Christianity did not exist then we wouldn't be having this conversation because the universe would cease to exist.

I accept it as true. If God doesn't exist, the God of the Bible, then neither do we. You're absolutely free to disagree, and I know you do.

That makes no sense whatsoever. The fact that we exist is pretty well accepted. If the God of the Bible doesn't exist, we continue to exist and Christianity is merely incorrect.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »

That makes no sense whatsoever. The fact that we exist is pretty well accepted. If the God of the Bible doesn't exist, we continue to exist and Christianity is merely incorrect.

I should have said "neither would we". The question, if it was intended in that way, would be akin to saying "What has the planet done for humanity?". It wasn't intended that way however, because the OP was clearly operating on the assumption that Christianity was merely a belief system made up of rituals and holy books like any other. I disagree with that but went along with it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies