1980: Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale vs. Ed Brooke/George Bush (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:28:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1980: Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale vs. Ed Brooke/George Bush (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1980: Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale vs. Ed Brooke/George Bush  (Read 4079 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »

A black man is not winning anything in 1980.

So apparently, you're racist now as well. You've singlehandedly raped open-mindedness, I think.

Let's not pull the race card on Libertas just yet, after all this would be only 16 years after the Civil Rights of 1964, maybe the nation is unready for a black president.  However, a 50 state landslide for an unpopular incumbent president is also unlikely.
I digress........
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 03:51:12 PM »

So apparently, you're racist now as well. You've singlehandedly raped open-mindedness, I think.
Right, now I'm a racist for making an electoral map that recognizes the existence of historical racism. Roll Eyes

Get a life, Sven.

While I do agree that it is presumptious of Sven to assume racism on your part I must wonder quite frankly how the hell, even with the racism of the time, an incumbent as unpopular as Carter somehow manages to win all 50 states against any Republican ticket.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:12:31 PM »

Right, now I'm a racist for making an electoral map that recognizes the existence of historical racism. Roll Eyes

Get a life, Sven.

While I do agree that it is presumptious of Sven to assume racism on your part I must wonder quite frankly how the hell, even with the racism of the time, an incumbent as unpopular as Carter somehow manages to win all 50 states against any Republican ticket.

Uh, Reagan won 49 states in 1984. The demographics of the country were much much whiter in 1980 than they are today.

Consider the fact that Brooke was the first and only black elected to the U.S. Senate since Reconstruction until 1993, and to this day, one of only four.

The first black governor wasn't elected until 1990.

So at the time in the entire U.S.A. we have a grand total of one black man having been elected to a statewide position or higher, from Massachusetts.

But you're saying this country then was somehow one prepared to elect a black man President of the United States?

No, I'm saying that as bad as it might've been back then I highly doubt ALL 50 STATES would've re-elected Jimmy Carter.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies