Animal Protection Act [LAW'D]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:04:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Animal Protection Act [LAW'D]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Animal Protection Act [LAW'D]  (Read 10598 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »

I'm sorry Bacon King, but this bill does require an amendment.  Section 2 identifies "the Mideast", where it appears "Atlasia" was the intended text.  I believe this was brought up previously in discussion, but the change was never made.  I request a halt to the vote so this change can be written into the bill.
I contacted Bacon King, asking him to change that, but in order to do so, would he have to restart the vote as well?

Yes he would.

Negative. I consider this a simple gramatical correction since the writer's intent was obvious, IMO. Precedent holds that simple corrections such as this do not require a strict adherence to OSPR protocol.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »

Also, aye.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »

Aye
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »

I'm sorry Bacon King, but this bill does require an amendment.  Section 2 identifies "the Mideast", where it appears "Atlasia" was the intended text.  I believe this was brought up previously in discussion, but the change was never made.  I request a halt to the vote so this change can be written into the bill.

I thought amendment of that typo had been accepted as friendly?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »

Once again we find that instead of lobbying Regional gov'ts to make reform we see an attempt to take a bill from one region and enforce it at the national level. I don't see a purpurse in getting the federal gov't involved in this so:

NAY

Nice of you to join us, after the final vote started...

It kind of bugs me that you won't express your concerns before the vote, to give supporters of this bill a chance to answer your concerns. Badger and I, as co-author's, don't know your problems with it if you just stay mum until the vote.

I agree, and this same complaint could be made regarding several votes here. Seriously, Bgwah may've been the only senator to express concerns on the bill and now it's in danger of failing? C'mon, people. Isn't it appropriate to express some concern about a bill on the Senate floor before it comes to a vote?

AYE.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 02:35:53 AM »

Senators in favor: Tmthforu94, Bacon King, Fritz, Badger
Senators opposed: Winston, Hans, NCYankee
Senators abstaining: bgwah
Senators yet to vote: Mint, Duke
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 11:03:18 AM »

As much as I support the idea of protecting animals, I don't really feel like this bill does anything. Furthermore, I highly doubt it is an improvement over existing laws. Therefore I'm going to have to have to abstain on this bill.

Could you elaborate, Bgwah? IMHO the bill actually seems quite comprehensive in outlawing animal cruelty.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »

Nay

I'm not sure this bill is necessary in the slightest.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »

Nay

So it isn't necessary to stop the cruelty shown at thousands of animals each day?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »

Nay

So it isn't necessary to stop the cruelty shown at thousands of animals each day?

Oh, it definitely is, which is why I think regions need to move to make changes, not the federal government. If it's such a pressing issue, they will move on it. This isn't really the federal government's job.

Also, aren't there already laws on the books preventing animal cruelty?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »

Nay

Its a regional issue. Lobby the Regional Gov'ts to pass it. Yea its a lot of work but if you want to get an issue that is a regional one passed nationwide and you are a regionalist that is the approach you should take.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »

Several of the regions are quite inactive, and something like this has never really gone to their attention. Someone had to take action to stop the deaths of millions of animals, and Badger and I thought "Hey, this might as well be us."
Cruelty and death isn't a regional issue. It shouldn't be something regions decide whether or not they'll allow.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »

Several of the regions are quite inactive, and something like this has never really gone to their attention. Someone had to take action to stop the deaths of millions of animals, and Badger and I thought "Hey, this might as well be us."
Cruelty and death isn't a regional issue. It shouldn't be something regions decide whether or not they'll allow.

Which are inactive? If anything, with the introductions of assemblies to the NE and SE, regions are more active than ever. I don't think it will be difficult at all to get them to pass some sort of legislation to crack down on animal cruelty.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »

The Pacific is rather inactive.

Friends, we have a chance today to pass an important piece of legislation that will fight to end the cruelty of animals. Or, we can "leave it to the regions", which could take weeks, even months to complete. In that time, over one hundred thousand animals will probably die due to cruelty or neglect. Thousands of animals, because a few insisted that regional rights were more important than animal rights in this case.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »

Friends, we have a chance today to pass an important piece of legislation that will fight to end the cruelty of animals. Or, we can "leave it to the regions", which could take weeks, even months to complete. In that time, over one hundred thousand animals will probably die due to cruelty or neglect. Thousands of animals, because a few insisted that regional rights were more important than animal rights in this case.

This bill will magically stop the cruelty occurring to these animals upon its passing? Hardly. No need to drum up hysteria. Besides the Pacific, all regions are capable of passing something like this whenever they so please. We don't need the federal government making all the laws for the regions. Let them decide.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 04:49:01 PM »

This bill will magically stop the cruelty occurring to these animals upon its passing? Hardly. No need to drum up hysteria. Besides the Pacific, all regions are capable of passing something like this whenever they so please. We don't need the federal government making all the laws for the regions. Let them decide.
In the meantime, thousands of animals can die in the process of these bills getting through. This is election season, and I doubt it would pass in any region within the next couple weeks. But seeing as this Senate simply thinks preserving regional rights is more important than saving the deaths of thousands animals, I guess we'll just have to hope regions do this as quickly as possible.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 05:00:17 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2010, 05:07:08 PM by bgwah »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Humane_Farming_Practices_Act
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Government_Furniture_Act
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Prison_Diet_Act

More legislation on the subject has been proposed but not passed.

In the meantime, thousands of animals can die in the process of these bills getting through. This is election season, and I doubt it would pass in any region within the next couple weeks. But seeing as this Senate simply thinks preserving regional rights is more important than saving the deaths of thousands animals, I guess we'll just have to hope regions do this as quickly as possible.

The vast majority of animal suffering occurs to feed humans, and you've provided far too many exemptions for such animals for this to truly mean anything.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2010, 08:03:56 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee (AFL-CIO-NC) »

You sould like a Liberal. Tongue You hide behind furry little creatures like Liberals hide behind Children, the poor, and Seniors.

This debate has gotten very very childish and ridiculous. You can't just violate your your principles for your pet issue, that will only lead to them being violated everywhere else.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »

This debate has gotten very very childish and ridiculous.

Why yes, yes it has:

You sould like a Liberal. Tongue You hide behind furry little creatures like Liberals hide behind Children, the poor, and Seniors.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »

Why yes, yes it has:

Indeed the fact that he is acting like that is childish. I have every right to point it out, Bgwah.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »

Regional rights is a sham, anyway, and regionalists are often ripe with hypocrisy. Of course we should mandate federal standards whenever possible.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »

Why yes, yes it has:

Indeed the fact that he is acting like that is childish. I have every right to point it out, Bgwah.
Oh, come on now. I defend my furry friends, you attack liberals. You are no better than I. Do I realize this is unrealistic? Of course. But we have to make this as realistic and interesting as possible, otherwise this game will fail of boredom. In reality, animals are dying every day, and laws like this could be inacted to protect them.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »

Why yes, yes it has:

Oh, come on now. I defend my furry friends, you attack liberals. You are no better than I. Do I realize this is unrealistic? Of course. But we have to make this as realistic and interesting as possible, otherwise this game will fail of boredom. In reality, animals are dying every day, and laws like this could be inacted to protect them.

Sheesh, what are you, a vegan? Roll Eyes
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Heavens no, I love meat! Wink I just don't like the torture of animals. It makes me think "That could have been my dog" everytime I see neglect and torture take place.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Heavens no, I love meat! Wink I just don't like the torture of animals. It makes me think "That could have been my dog" everytime I see neglect and torture take place.

Fascinating logic...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies