Saline County, NE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:07:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Saline County, NE
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Saline County, NE  (Read 1134 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »

What's up with this county? It seems to be one of the most reliably Democratic counties in red state Nebraska.

1988: Was one of only three counties to be won by Michael Dukakis (the other two being Thurston and Dakota counties).
1992: Was the only county in the state to be won by Bill Clinton.
1996: Same as 1988.
2000: Bush narrowly won the county and it was his second-worst county in the state.
2004: Same as 2000.
2008: Was one of only four counties to be won by Obama (the other three being Thurston, Douglas-Omaha, and Lancaster-Lincoln).

It is the square county southwest-adjacent to Lancaster County. Seems to be a mostly rural (as of 2000, its population was 13,843) and predominantly (92.99%) White county, so I figured the Republicans would always win it.

I did find one website that said that the county has a rich Czech history, and that Czechs vote Democratic. Not sure if this explains it or what, but would be interested to get everyone's take on it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »

I did find one website that said that the county has a rich Czech history, and that Czechs vote Democratic. Not sure if this explains it or what, but would be interested to get everyone's take on it.

That is a significant part of it. Some of those Czechs are my relatives. Smiley
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »

Saline County is a rural county but has always had a much higher percentage of manufacturing, unionized jobs than most NE counties. In other words, Saline County has a workforce demographic more likely to vote democratic. Crete (in Saline County) is also the home of Doane College, a private UCC school that probably has helped give it a democratic tilt. Saline County is usually far more democratic than the rest of rural NE but it generally follows statewide trends in elections.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies