Its time for it to stop.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:26:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Its time for it to stop.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Its time for it to stop.  (Read 3181 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 11:52:59 PM »

JW, why does the use of "Democrat" as an adjective bother the Red avvies so much?

Is there some overtone I'm not getting?

Would it bother you if we referred to you incorrectly?

If you called it the Republic Party? No, it'd be weird, but I wouldn't care.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 11:55:38 PM »

JW, why does the use of "Democrat" as an adjective bother the Red avvies so much?

I think that's the point; using Democrat as an adjective is a supremely immature thing to do that serves no real purpose.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »

I think that's the point; using Democrat as an adjective is a supremely immature thing to do that serves no real purpose.
Well, it's grammatically incorrect, but I just don't see the difference.

I'm not causing a fuss over the whole 'teabagger' reference, but with the latter there's an obvious sexual/homosexual overtone, that just isn't seen with the former.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »

Dallas, the point is to use incorrect grammar to argue that the Democratic party is not democratic
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 12:18:04 AM »

I actually thought the whole "Democrat Party" thing was blow out of proportion and never saw it as a big deal, though it was quite childish on behalf of the Republicans especially when they supported using it in things like platforms. The "Republic Party" nonsense in return on places like DU and DailyKos is just as dumb but much less common and basically non-existant here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 12:37:10 AM »

Yeah, I was kind of ignorant of the whole "Democrats hate it when you call it the Democrat Party" thing until not that long ago.  I still don't get what the big deal is, I'm pretty sure it's done more on accident/ignorance than malice.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 12:45:44 AM »

I still don't get what the big deal is, I'm pretty sure it's done more on accident/ignorance than malice.

Not now. Maybe pre-2004 that was the case, but it certainly isn't today.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »

As others have said, I would be happy to stop using the term if in exchange Republican posters agreed to stop using the term "Democrat Party". Until then I shall use the word as I please.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »

Am I missing all these uses of it?  I admit, there are large chunks of this place I don't go to.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:40 AM »

I'm not causing a fuss over the whole 'teabagger' reference, but with the latter there's an obvious sexual/homosexual overtone, that just isn't seen with the former.

Those overtones are only obviously in retrospect. I wonder how many of the 'straight' (now there's a horrible word, when you think about it for a little bit) posters here knew what it meant before it started to be used to describe followers of a political movement with a pretty absurd name in its own right.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 06:49:39 AM »

I wonder whether anything will ever be done about our fifth column problem though.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »

Right.  I much prefer we use the word "n" more often though 

Teabagger = No
n = Hell yeah

Roll Eyes
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 07:48:49 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2010, 07:50:43 AM by Lunar »

I deleted Sam Spade's "Opinion of this n Comment" thread.

The "Teabagger" thing is becoming annoying in thread titles out of mere repetition.  Can't y'all be more interesting.

I'm not an advocate that the N-word becomes standard around here, there's too many white teenagers who would come across pretty badly. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »

The "Teabagger" thing is becoming annoying in thread titles out of mere repetition.  Can't y'all be more interesting.

I'm not an advocate that the N-word becomes standard around here, there's too many white teenagers who would come across pretty badly. 

Can I use the term "white n" on your board, since it clearly is self-identifying for me, or is your racist jihadist moderation going to force me back in the closet?  Tongue
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 08:20:01 AM »

You can use the term "Cracker," cracker
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »

Can I use the term "white n" on your board, since it clearly is self-identifying for me, or is your racist jihadist moderation going to force me back in the closet?  Tongue
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

You're Irish?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »

Can I use the term "white n" on your board, since it clearly is self-identifying for me, or is your racist jihadist moderation going to force me back in the closet?  Tongue

You're Irish?

No, I'm white trash. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

You can use the term "Cracker," cracker

Prude  Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 08:25:34 AM »

You're Irish?

No, I'm white trash. 

Just throwing in a random tidbit about the history of the "white n".
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »

You're Irish?

No, I'm white trash. 

Just throwing in a random tidbit about the history of the "white n".

I know my friend......but I stand by what I am  Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »

I can't wait for people to actually start picking up on the "false, inaccurate," part more broadly. Imagine the arguments over deleting threads because someone said something factually inaccurate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »

We need to get rid of the current TOS; it's confusing and is not interpreted in a consistent manner.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:35 PM »

Those overtones are only obviously in retrospect. I wonder how many of the 'straight' (now there's a horrible word, when you think about it for a little bit) posters here knew what it meant before it started to be used to describe followers of a political movement with a pretty absurd name in its own right.

In the video game Halo, and possibly others, when you kill an opponent, to further humiliate him, you walk your avatar over his dead corpse, and rapidly press the crouch button, simulating a "tea-bagging" motion. That's how I learned what the term meant.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 02:50:13 PM »

I am referring to the use of crude sexual language to describe a whole group of diverse people. Now, as you are aware I am no fan of the "Tea Party" movement but the use of sexual terminology to refer them is unacceptable, and depending on usage a violation of the TOS which you signed when you joined this forum. As such I have reported tonight three posts which I feel used the term in such a way that I think is a violation. Whether the moderators take this seriously or not, I don't know especialy since some of them, who will remain unnamed, use it themselves.

Alright teab***er
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 10:43:27 AM »

I am referring to the use of crude sexual language to describe a whole group of diverse people. Now, as you are aware I am no fan of the "Tea Party" movement but the use of sexual terminology to refer them is unacceptable, and depending on usage a violation of the TOS which you signed when you joined this forum. As such I have reported tonight three posts which I feel used the term in such a way that I think is a violation. Whether the moderators take this seriously or not, I don't know especialy since some of them, who will remain unnamed, use it themselves.

Alright teab***er

Thanks. See folks this would be a context where it is unacceptable for several reasons, primarily because its not accurate but second of all because its an attack on me. However I won't report because I am in a generous mood.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies