Washington 2008 President by Precinct (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:17:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Washington 2008 President by Precinct (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Washington 2008 President by Precinct  (Read 15879 times)
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »

Hi,
I know this is Alcon's favorite subject, but when I ran across all of the Washington State Precinct Shapefiles in one place, I couldn't help myself.  Below is the 2008 General Election for President for the entire state of Washington by precinct: (note: open in new window to see full-size)

Here is the zoom of Puget Sound

There are some differences between the precincts in the 2008 data and the shapefiles - perhaps some changes since 2008?  Alcon, do you have 2008 shapefiles specific to 2008 (Snohomish, King, Clark, Pierce)?

Note, I've also added a bunch of the individual county maps to the Atlas Washington pages.

Enjoy,
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »

Sweeeet!  There's definitely an elections geek at the SoS's office who has kicked their data collection into high gear.  They have some amazing stuff, although alas no shapefiles for 2009 yet.

I can probably get correct 2008 shapefiles for most counties.  I can see you definitely need Clark, King and Snohomish; and San Juan, which appears to be missing.  How off is Pierce?  We have some voter privacy suppression but everything else looks all right.  Any other needed counties?

I also can probably hook you up with a water shapefile that makes Mason look less screwy.

Great - possibly Benton and Skamania - most counties were "perfect" - at least the precincts lined up with the descriptions in the files.  Pierce isn't too bad - not sure how many changed boundaries.  San Juan shape file is awful though... all the water is included.  Pacific and Skagit are also that way, but I purged the water with the county shapes in the image. 
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »

Thanks Alcon - interesting - that makes more sense - the shape file seems to have precincts 306 and 307 backwards.

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:09:56 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2010, 09:12:47 PM by Dave Leip »

Here is another version (corrected Skamania), but also with "place" shapes overlaid.

Enjoy,
Dave

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies