How come McGovern won Massachusetts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:03:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How come McGovern won Massachusetts?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How come McGovern won Massachusetts?  (Read 7725 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »

well?
Guderian

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »

Kennedy's brother-in-law was his running mate and Massachusetts was never Nixonland.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »

Because--well, I really hate to say this--but they were insane.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

Massachusetts was the only state to see through the evil that was Nixon.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 05:19:43 PM »

Also, Massachusetts is the most liberal/Democratic state in the Union (see above) and it has been so for quite some time, certainly since 1972. Not only were they the only state to vote for McGovern, they were also the only state to give Clinton over 60% in 1996 (and Kerry in 2004). Further, the Democrats dominate the state; until recently, they were an all-Democratic state, and until 2008, the only such state--it voted for Obama in 2008, has a Democratic governor and lieutenant governor, (had) 2 Democratic senators and all representatives are Democrats.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »

Also, Massachusetts is the most liberal/Democratic state in the Union (see above) and it has been so for quite some time, certainly since 1972. Not only were they the only state to vote for McGovern, they were also the only state to give Clinton over 60% in 1996 (and Kerry in 2004). Further, the Democrats dominate the state; until recently, they were an all-Democratic state, and until 2008, the only such state--it voted for Obama in 2008, has a Democratic governor and lieutenant governor, (had) 2 Democratic senators and all representatives are Democrats.

Why didn't Massachusetts vote for Carter or Mondale in 1980 and 1984 then?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »

I don't know about '84, but it was extremly close in 1980, under one percent IIRC. Primarily because of Anderson.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 07:36:45 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2010, 07:43:29 PM by Mechahole »

Ronald Reagan had Irish Catholic ancestry on his father's side, his opponents did not.....that was all they needed to know.
I mean how else would he have won the heavily Democratic South Boston with 53% of the vote in 1980?
Though 1980 was mostly due to Anderson siphoning votes from Carter.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »

I don't know about '84, but it was extremly close in 1980, under one percent IIRC. Primarily because of Anderson.

Yet Carter carried neighboring Rhode Island by 10 points that year.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »

Ronald Reagan had Irish Catholic ancestry on his father's side, his opponents did not.....that was all they needed to know.
I mean how else would he have won the heavily Democratic South Boston with 53% of the vote in 1980?

I really doubt that Reagan's ancestry had that much of an impact. Working class folk in South Boston weren't digging through candidates' family trees to decide who to vote for.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »

To explain 1984 and perhaps 1980, Massachusetts is more working-class than a lot of people think and it had a larger number of Reagan Democrats than most people think.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »

I really doubt that Reagan's ancestry had that much of an impact. Working class folk in South Boston weren't digging through candidates' family trees to decide who to vote for.

They didn't have to.  It isn't impossible to tell whether or not someone is part Irish.  Sure it might not be as easy to tell as if someone is black, but Reagan had enough for it to be noticeable.  I don't give a sh*t what his ethnic composition was, but workingclass folk in South Boston probably identified quite strongly with politicians they felt some kind of comradeship with.  I didn't just make this up, I've heard from quite a few places that Reagan was very popular with Irish Americans.  Remember, this was almost thirty years ago and attitudes were still a bit backwards (even in *gasp* Massachusetts).
It might not have been as strong of an effect as someone like the Kennedy bros, but it was enough to attract workingclass folk.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »

They didn't have to.  It isn't impossible to tell whether or not someone is part Irish.  Sure it might not be as easy to tell as if someone is black, but Reagan had enough for it to be noticeable.  I don't give a sh*t what his ethnic composition was, but workingclass folk in South Boston probably identified quite strongly with politicians they felt some kind of comradeship with.  I didn't just make this up, I've heard from quite a few places that Reagan was very popular with Irish Americans.  Remember, this was almost thirty years ago and attitudes were still a bit backwards (even in *gasp* Massachusetts).
It might not have been as strong of an effect as someone like the Kennedy bros, but it was enough to attract workingclass folk.

Do you have any actual evidence that this theory of yours is true?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »

I will admit there might have been other factors, like Anderson running in 1980, the overall popularity of Reagan in 1984, how cliched American liberalism seemed by the 80's, Mondale running a horrible campaign, but I don't believe that it is too insane to suggest that his ancestry might've had a little to do with it.  Afterall if you remember, Al Smith, an Irish Catholic, won Massachusetts in 1928 although Massachusetts voted over 60% Republican in the preceding two elections.
I don't have any hard irrevokable 100% can't be disproven evidence, but there are sources out there that do suggest Reagan's ancestry helped take quite a few votes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American#Irish_in_politics_and_government
Ronald Reagan openly boasted about his Irishness.
There are also plenty of sources that back up my claim that Reagan did in fact "win" the Irish American voter.
http://www.indypressny.org/nycma/voices/311/series/election2008/

I don't know why this is such an insane claim for you to entertain, it's almost like arguing that Barack Obama's African ancestry helped him win more African American votes than the usual Democrat (though since they win at least 80% of the African American vote that's really not saying anything).
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »

I will admit there might have been other factors, like Anderson running in 1980, the overall popularity of Reagan in 1984, how cliched American liberalism seemed by the 80's, Mondale running a horrible campaign, but I don't believe that it is too insane to suggest that his ancestry might've had a little to do with it.  Afterall if you remember, Al Smith, an Irish Catholic, won Massachusetts in 1928 although Massachusetts voted over 60% Republican in the preceding two elections.
I don't have any hard irrevokable 100% can't be disproven evidence, but there are sources out there that do suggest Reagan's ancestry helped take quite a few votes:

There are also plenty of sources that back up my claim that Reagan did in fact "win" the Irish American voter.

I don't know why this is such an insane claim for you to entertain, it's almost like arguing that Barack Obama's African ancestry helped him win more African American votes than the usual Democrat (though since they win at least 80% of the African American vote that's really not saying anything).

There were a number of factors that led to support for Reagan among working class ethnic whites, Irish or otherwise. It had little to do with his ancestry. Reagan also won 63% of the New York Italian vote. Was he Italian too?

Anyway, this is all besides the point. Massachusetts wasn't necessarily the most Democratic state in the country. There needs to be a better explanation as to why McGovern pulled off a 9-point victory here in the midst of a nationwide landslide defeat.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 09:59:44 PM »

There were a number of factors that led to support for Reagan among working class ethnic whites, Irish or otherwise. It had little to do with his ancestry. Reagan also won 63% of the New York Italian vote. Was he Italian too?

Anyway, this is all besides the point. Massachusetts wasn't necessarily the most Democratic state in the country. There needs to be a better explanation as to why McGovern pulled off a 9-point victory here in the midst of a nationwide landslide defeat.
So it's more of an overall white working class ethic explanation?
Granted.

As for McGovern, I think I agree with what someone said earlier about the Kennedy influence in the state (Shriver being on the ticket) or just a random "F*** you" Nixon movement that popped up in Massachusetts.
I guess it's like asking why Maine and Vermont were the only states to not vote for FDR in 1936.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 10:07:19 PM »

So it's more of an overall white working class ethic explanation?
Granted.

As for McGovern, I think I agree with what someone said earlier about the Kennedy influence in the state (Shriver being on the ticket) or just a random "F*** you" Nixon movement that popped up in Massachusetts.
I guess it's like asking why Maine and Vermont were the only states to not vote for FDR in 1936.

Well Maine and Vermont are pretty easy to explain considering they just about always voted Republican.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 03:01:51 AM »

Because liberal hippies hated Nixon and because JFK's brother-in-law was on the ticket.
Inoljt
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »

It's because Nixon kept on calling McGovern a crazy Massachusetts liberal.

That tends not to work well in Massachusetts.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 04:18:32 PM »

It's because Nixon kept on calling McGovern a crazy Massachusetts liberal.

That tends not to work well in Massachusetts.

I thought that the term "Massachusetts liberal" came to use because of McGovern winning Massachusetts, not the other way around?
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »

Massachusetts has always liked McGovern more than the average bear. He did very well there in 1984, despite the fact that his campaign never had a shot of winning the nomination. This is a state that has a lot of college kids who sprung for him in '72 but had grown up by '80 and '84. Also a lot of moderate GOPers who personally disliked Nixon but had no problem with Ronnie.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »

I think the better question is: why didn't he win the other 49 states?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »

I think the better question is: why didn't he win the other 49 states?
^^^
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 04:15:44 AM »

Because Massachusetts was sane.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 06:47:56 AM »

Because Massachusetts didn't hate America.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies