The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:03:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 295621 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »

Looking forward to seeing what you guys do.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »

I strongly urge the regional government to amend regional narcotics laws to be in step with those at the federal level. You guys can use the bill PiT and I worked on in the Senate as a template, the Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill of 2007 or something to that effect. Just be sure to explicitely state that people get out of jail if their crime is no longer a crime, just to emphasize the point of the legislation in solving the current regional problems.

Also allowing more willing participants into our free range prisons wouldn't be a bad idea either, but I'd like Dibble's opinion on that since it was his initiative and I don't really know what's really a sustainable population for such a facility.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

So wait, we have an elected Attorney General now? Shouldn't that just have been delegated to the governor? I miss initiatives Sad
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »

Nah, not that big of a deal, I just miss initiatives. In fact, I think I might propose a few myself just for old time's sakes.

Oh, and btw, on the sexual crimes law, that list of definitions should probably match the wording of the Georgia Code 16-6 offenses, for what it's worth. We do use the Georgia code where our own law doesn't supersede it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »

Also, I'm editing the wiki to replace the mention in Article IV.2 of "Article II" with "Article IV", to match the Southeastern House of Representatives Amendment requirement of renumbering articles of the Constitution. Good thing that was included at the end, otherwise we'd never be able to amend the Constitution again Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »

Nah, not that big of a deal, I just miss initiatives. In fact, I think I might propose a few myself just for old time's sakes.

Oh, and btw, on the sexual crimes law, that list of definitions should probably match the wording of the Georgia Code 16-6 offenses, for what it's worth. We do use the Georgia code where our own law doesn't supersede it.

We should use it, but i don't agree with the child molestation laws. Child Molestors should have the 15, then life in prsison treatment.

Exactly. If you want to make sure that changes, then you need to use the exact terminology the existing code already uses, otherwise you're making up penalties for non-existent laws.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »

It might be interesting to hold informal referenda on the Legislature's actions to see what the general public (both Southeastern & non-Southeastern) thinks of our actions. Abysmal turnout would probably lead to it showing that the in-region voters always agree with us, though. Tongue

I'll look it up & propose an amendment based on it. I should get around to it later today.

I'm willing to bet most Southeasterners don't check this thread at all. See the latest election results, two candidates running? Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »

Initiatives were better Sad
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »

Hey there, Southeastern Legislature. As you're all no doubt aware, pretty soon you'll be needing to pick a representative to the Constitutional Convention. I'd like to place myself in consideration for this appointment. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »

First off, I believe I'm well qualified to be a delegate to this Constitutional Convention. Look simply at the grasp of Senate procedure I demonstrate in my service as President Pro Tempore of that body to observe that I have the know-how of legal structure and parliamentary procedure necessary to be a capable Constitutional delegate. I understand how to write a governing document and also how even the most subtle of nuances in wording affect how the nation would be run. For further experience in this area, I point to the bylaws of the Jesus Christ Party I'm currently drafting and writing with feedback from the JCP Convention; you can see I have listened to input from all sides and, from the bylaws sections I have done, spent a good deal of time and effort into the collaboration. Simply, I want to be the Southeast's representative to the Constitutional Convention because I want the thing works, and I want to make sure our region meaningfully assists to make sure it works.

Regarding my goals at the Convention, I don't want any dramatic alteration of Atlasia. I will be amenable to compromise from other delegates, as well as to suggestions from the people of the Southeast, but I don't want, as the saying goes, "change for the sake of change." I support the Constitutional Convention largely for the purposes President Purple State suggested it in the first place- to condense the thing so Atlasian's don't have to look through a half dozen amendments to understand a point of law. Any alteration to the Constitution above and beyond that must demonstrate to me a legitimate and imperative need for such a change before I would support it.

Thank you for your time; I hope I can be trusted with such a responsibility to our region and Atlasia as a whole.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »

Representative Deldem: There are no specific reforms I currently support except for the consolidation and simplification of our Constitution that is currently bloated with amendments. I disagree with any fundamental changes to the status quo and will continue to do so unless my fellow delegates convince me of the legitimate and pressing need for such reform.

Representative PiT: The Constitutional Convention will be a success if it produces a cohesive and complete document for Atlasia's voters to consider. If selected by this body I have no doubt that goal will be met. I will personally ensure, through my activity, ability, and drive, that the upcoming Constitutional Convention will end as a success.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »

I'd like to provide more nuance to my response by noting that I'm not opposed to any reform. In fact, if any ideas are proposed or suggested that I do believe will improve Atlasia, I will gladly jump at the opportunity to support it. However, I simply reiterate that any change I do support must actually make Atlasia better, not simply be a change from the status quo without purpose.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 11:51:29 PM »

With the Convention rapidly approaching and a thread already open, I kindly ask that unless there are further questions, the Legislature that a vote be held soon Smiley We don't want our region to be the slowest! Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »

I thank the legislature for my selection Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »

Let me just put this here.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=127706.0
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »

I am getting tired of waiting on the appointee. If he does not swear in by 10 PM CDT tonight, I will investigate appointing somebody else.
Bacon King is the appointee?

Aye, that he is.

I was on vacation, my laptop was broken, and I could only access the forum through my phone's dinky and slow web browser. Apologies.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »

Would the legislature consider abolishing itself and returning to the days of monthly referenda on legislation? I don't know about others but personally it's been much more difficult to keep up with regional affairs when it's all cloistered together in one giant thread on a separate sub-board. Perhaps, if we want to keep a defined legislative branch, we could keep a Speaker elected from the region as a whole who would maintain the proposal thread, do the monthly vote, and have authority to put legislation on the ballot without any signatures?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »

Would the legislature consider abolishing itself and returning to the days of monthly referenda on legislation? I don't know about others but personally it's been much more difficult to keep up with regional affairs when it's all cloistered together in one giant thread on a separate sub-board. Perhaps, if we want to keep a defined legislative branch, we could keep a Speaker elected from the region as a whole who would maintain the proposal thread, do the monthly vote, and have authority to put legislation on the ballot without any signatures?

I opened an initiative thread once, nobody proposed anything. I see no point in returning to that lesser system when priority can be given to those who actually have some interest in regional affairs.

There's not really much of a point in doing initiatives when the legislature already exists. The current system also makes it very difficult to have interest in regional affairs. I guess I'll make an effort to read back through the several dozen pages I've missed, but I think the legislature should at least be more accessible to the average voter.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

This legislature is now recessed. -bangs gavel-

Awwww, just as I get elected Sad
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 01:15:44 AM »

Well. I recessed the Legislature and there's no Speaker to un-recess it.

Hold on a second. Did some research here.

The Speaker isn't even mentioned in the legislative section of the regional Constitution. The only reference to the job is in the Executive session, where it notes that the Speaker will serve as temporary Emperor if the offices of both Emperor and Viceroy are simultaneously vacant.

Furthermore, I see no ability for the Speaker- or anyone else- to dissolve the legislature either in statute or the Constitution. In fact, the only thing even tangentially related I can find are these fairly antiquated standing rules of the legislature, which specifies in Rule 3, Clause 3 that the legislature has "daily sessions." So even if your motion to recess was legal and effective, we came back into session on Christmas morning and have been in session ever since.

I furthermore note that due to the Legislative Vacancy Act, each of my colleagues will be removed from their offices if they don't take part in any "legislative business" for seven days. Accepting the most liberal interpretation of your actions, that as Speaker you could validly recess the legislature for the remainder of the day and that such a recess "resets the clock" for the day count in the Legislative Vacancy Act, that gives my fellow Legislators until midnight on New Year's Eve to take part in official business.

I've also looked for a while and I don't think we even have a Viceroy. What's up with that? Did we abolish the position and just not update the wiki or something? There's also no reference in law to the selection of the speaker so we really have no legal way of selecting one.

Therefore, in order to allow for my fellow Legislators to conduct official business before Tuesday and not get removed from office, I'd like to formally and officially propose Adam Griffin as Speaker of the IDS Legislature. I note that regional law does not require the Speaker to be a member of the legislature, that Adam has performed a satisfactory job in his prior service as Co-Speaker, and that he has experience with precedent to help us transform from this ad-hoc duck-taped-together excuse for a legislative body to something with some cohesive rules actually fitting a parliamentary system.

Under standard/default parliamentary procedure, I ask for a second to this nomination; I believe this election will be considered valid in the event of a majority of current office-holders voting in favor of this nomination, but anyone more familiar with Robert's Rules feel free to correct me.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 02:13:18 AM »

Traditionally, we've only actually removed Legislators for inactivity when their inactivity was a serious impediment to the activity of the Legislature as a whole. After all, we're not here to cause stress and consternation.

Indeed, I agree, but the language of the statute is incredibly strict. It's a bit of a concern.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Indeed.

Who is Viceroy anyway? Does that position still exist? If not, how did it get abolished?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 02:15:19 PM »

Oh wait, I see it. This was the repeal of the Viceroy. Unfortunately, that's not valid. The Viceroy is specified in the Constitution so it takes a Constitutional amendment to repeal it. I can write up something later today. On that note, I can also write up something to the effect of a cohesive OSPR for the IDS Legislature as well, for us to observe.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 08:17:45 AM »

PRESENTING: BACON KING'S EMERGENCY FIXER-UPPER AMENDMENT!

Article I, Section 9 is hereby amended to read:

Article I, Section 10 is hereby amended to read:

Article I, Section 12 is hereby amended to read:

Article II is hereby amended to read:

Article VII, Clause 3 is hereby amended to read:

Article VII, Clause 4 is hereby amended to read:

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 04:26:17 AM »

I'm away ftr, bad flu has be bedridden
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States