The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 297623 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: November 02, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »

Anyway, I will be happy to sign this bill, provided that a clause is included to repeal the Abortion Initiative.
I feel dumb now.  My bill would do exactly the same thing as this already existing law. Shocked

Actually, your bill, with my change, would legalize second trimester abortions (should probably repeal the South Carolina & Louisiana bills too while we're at it). Now that's change I can believe in. Wink
1.  Isn't 90 days a trimester?
2.  Why do South Carolina each have independent bills?

1. Roughly so. The oft-quoted figure of 40 weeks for a human pregnancy works out to 280 days, specifically.

2. There wasn't enough support for fully outlawing abortion on demand, so for a brief time there was a law that allowed individual states to do so.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #726 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:47 PM »

It seems like abortion in the third trimester is already illegal.

So, let's table my proposal and move on.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #727 on: November 02, 2010, 03:43:53 PM »

Since I see nowhere else to post it, I propose an amendment to Speaker Yelnoc's bill...

Unborn Child Protection Act

1.  Noting that...
  • With current medical technology, babies can survive outside of the womb during the third  trimester, as evidenced by the plethora of prematurely born babies that survive to become healthy individuals.
  • Ending the life of a prematurely born baby is illegal.
2.  On that basis, the Unborn Child Protection Act seeks to extend that protection to fetus's in the third trimester.  All abortions carried out during the 3rd Trimester of pregnancy are hereby illegal
3.  Any physician who knowingly performs an abortion in the third trimester shall be fined under this titled or imprisoned for not more than two years or both.
4.  Exceptions to this law may be made in the case of a threat to the mother's health, rape, or incest.
5.  With the passage of the Unborn Child Protection Act, the previously passed Abortion Initiative shall be repealed, with this act taking its place.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #728 on: November 02, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »

As I said earlier, my bill appears to be the duplicate of an already existing law.  As such I would prefer we move on to other matters.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #729 on: November 03, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »

And there are others who would prefer that we stay on this matter.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #730 on: November 03, 2010, 04:00:30 PM »

Ok then, let's stay on it.  What I'm saying is that the bill I introduced is already on the books.  I don't know what good pursuing it would do.  I am totalling open to someone else drafting a bill in a similiar vein has actual difference, though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #731 on: November 03, 2010, 04:09:52 PM »

Ok then, let's stay on it.  What I'm saying is that the bill I introduced is already on the books.  I don't know what good pursuing it would do.  I am totalling open to someone else drafting a bill in a similiar vein has actual difference, though.

Because of Darth Svensson's amendment, there is now an actual difference. Smiley
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #732 on: November 03, 2010, 04:45:06 PM »

*ahem* Due to finding more information on the matter, I move to amend my amendment as follows.

1.  Noting that...
  • With current medical technology, babies can survive outside of the womb during the third  trimester, as evidenced by the plethora of prematurely born babies that survive to become healthy individuals.
  • Ending the life of a prematurely born baby is illegal.
2.  On that basis, the Unborn Child Protection Act seeks to extend that protection to fetus's in the third trimester.  All abortions carried out during the 3rd Trimester of pregnancy are hereby illegal
3.  Any physician who knowingly performs an abortion in the third trimester shall be fined under this titled or imprisoned for not more than two years or both.
4.  Exceptions to this law may be made in the case of a threat to the mother's health, rape, or incest.
5.  With the passage of the Unborn Child Protection Act, the previously passed Abortion Initiative, Louisiana Abortion Initiative, and South Carolina Abortion Initiative shall all be repealed, with this act taking their place.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #733 on: November 03, 2010, 04:47:48 PM »

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but doesn't the bill, even with Svensson's amendment still substitute an apple for an apple?  I don't see the difference between the two laws other than word choice.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #734 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but doesn't the bill, even with Svensson's amendment still substitute an apple for an apple?  I don't see the difference between the two laws other than word choice.

Your bill, plus my amendment, would push the abortion ban back another trimester, making it illegal only in the third.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #735 on: November 03, 2010, 09:05:11 PM »

Your bill, plus my amendment, would push the abortion ban back another trimester, making it illegal only in the third.
Doesn't the Abortion Ban law only refer to the last trimester (90 day period)?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #736 on: November 04, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »

"It shall be against the law to induce an abortion in the Southeast Region after the 90th day of the pregnancy except in the case of a severe threat to the mother's health."

Basically, abortion is illegal, as it is, after three months - only one trimester.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #737 on: November 04, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »

"It shall be against the law to induce an abortion in the Southeast Region after the 90th day of the pregnancy except in the case of a severe threat to the mother's health."

Basically, abortion is illegal, as it is, after three months - only one trimester.
Yes exactly.  And my bill would also only make it illegal for one trimester, i.e. 90 days.  So I don't see the difference.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #738 on: November 04, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

Yes exactly.  And my bill would also only make it illegal for one trimester, i.e. 90 days.  So I don't see the difference.

He means that it is currently legal for only one trimester. Passing this bill would legalize second trimester abortions (& in Louisiana & South Carolina, first trimester abortions as well).
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #739 on: November 05, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »

Let the record state I'm in favor of abortion in the first two trimesters.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #740 on: November 05, 2010, 07:50:26 AM »

He means that it is currently legal for only one trimester. Passing this bill would legalize second trimester abortions (& in Louisiana & South Carolina, first trimester abortions as well).
Oh, my was misreading the other bill.  My apologies.  Is there anything else that needs to be debated or can we move on to the voting?
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #741 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »

I think we're pretty good, I'm ready to vote.
-
KS21
Political Matrix
E: -0.97, S: -3.39

« Reply #742 on: November 05, 2010, 10:31:09 PM »

Okay, debate is over. We're going to vote first on the amendment, then on the original bill in the same post to save time. Vote in the following form or a form similar-

Unborn Child Act (Sections 1-4)

*Aye or Nay*

Unborn Child Act (Section 5(Svennson's amendment))

*Aye or Nay*
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #743 on: November 06, 2010, 11:16:27 AM »

Aye on both measures.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #744 on: November 06, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »

Aye.
Aye.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #745 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:52 AM »

Let me just put this here.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=127706.0
-
KS21
Political Matrix

« Reply #746 on: November 08, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »

Well, whether DelDem votes or not, the bill and the supplementary amendment have passed, so voting will close later this afternoon, around 6 CDT.
-
KS21
Political Matrix

« Reply #747 on: November 08, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

I'm going to end the vote now. Its passed either way. Now, we need the Emperor to sign the bill...

The Unborn Child Protection Act has passed.

X Lieutenant Governor KS21
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #748 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »

Since it seems that the Lt. Governor did not attain office through the proper channels, I would like the Imperial Speaker to declare the bill passed. Nothing against you, KS21.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #749 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »

X Imperial Speaker Yelnoc
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies