If you were Hubert Humphrey's campaign manager in 1968, what would you have done
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:45:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If you were Hubert Humphrey's campaign manager in 1968, what would you have done
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were Hubert Humphrey's campaign manager in 1968, what would you have done  (Read 2574 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »

differently?

I would have distanced myself from LBJ's Vietnam policy sooner, attacked Nixon for being a reckless superhawk, and talked more about the good economy and large job creation over the last 8 years. If many undecided voters would have been reminded about the economy, a large number of them could have voted for Humphrey based on that issue.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

Taken a strong stand against the war.
State's Rights
Reactionary

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »

Hubert Humphrey would have been unable to label Nixon as a "reckless superhawk" (which isn't even a real word), because Richard Nixon had painted himself as the "Anti-War"  candidate. Of course he wasn't, but he imaged himself out to appear so. In fact, Nixon's promise to the American people was that he would end the war in Vietnam (notice he didn't say how he would do so). I also don't see how reminding undecided voters (who were primarily White Democrats in the Rust Belt) of the good economy would do much good, as that was Humphrey's basic strategy to begin with.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:49 PM »

Hubert Humphrey would have been unable to label Nixon as a "reckless superhawk" (which isn't even a real word), because Richard Nixon had painted himself as the "Anti-War"  candidate. Of course he wasn't, but he imaged himself out to appear so. In fact, Nixon's promise to the American people was that he would end the war in Vietnam (notice he didn't say how he would do so). I also don't see how reminding undecided voters (who were primarily White Democrats in the Rust Belt) of the good economy would do much good, as that was Humphrey's basic strategy to begin with.

I don't think Humphrey talked much at all about the good economy. And while it might not have that large of an effect on rust-belt Whites, it might help out with middle-class and upper-class suburbanites. Humphrey only needed a nationwide swing of about 1-2% to win the election (or send it to the House, where he would also win).
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »

BTW, welcome to the Forum.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »

Attack George Wallace in the south
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »

That would likely cause Wallace voters to vote for Nixon, though, since many of them supported Wallace due to the race riots, forced busing, and opposition to civil rights. Nixon was closer to Wallace's positions on these issues than Humphrey was.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »

Even if Humphrey won all of Wallace's states, he still would have lost the election.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »

Mainly, he could distanced himself from Johnson more. It would not have helped him much though, i would not have voted for him.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:58 PM »

Guderian

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 04:31:23 AM »

It worked great for McGovern, so I'm sure it would have been a blast for Humphrey too. He would also commit the most outrageous flip-flop ever.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 08:15:10 AM »

It worked great for McGovern, so I'm sure it would have been a blast for Humphrey too. He would also commit the most outrageous flip-flop ever.

McGovern was destroyed by a lot of things, but opposition to the war wasn't one of them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies