Why should Iran not have nuclear power? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why should Iran not have nuclear power? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why should Iran not have nuclear power?  (Read 4537 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: March 01, 2010, 02:02:12 AM »

The United States' policy towards the Iranian nuclear program is completely hypocritical; not only do some of our staunchest allies (Israel, Pakistan, and India) have nuclear weapon stockpiles in defiance of the NNPT, but we have probably violated the NNPT as well through the NATO nuclear weapon sharing program. Iran, as a signatory to the NNPT, should enjoy the right to peacefully use nuclear technology (and the USA, also a signatory, should respect that right). That we are punishing Iran (which is working within the treaty's guidelines and is a signatory) while defending Israel, Pakistan and India (who have not signed the treaty and have nuclear weapon stockpiles in defiance of it) is the height of hypocrisy. Iranian politicians and some members of the Non-Aligned Movement have attacked the American policy as "nuclear apartheid" and I think that it's a valid attack.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »

I'm very sceptical of any type of international "law".

From my perspective, enough countries have nuclear weapons to ensure that no country will run wild with them.

Increasing the number of countries that have them, especially a country like Iran....is simply asking for trouble. I'm not personally interested in "equal rights".

Oh, and Antonio: You're becoming quite a Neocon Smiley

I don't think anyone is arguing that Iran ought to have nuclear weapons (I'm definitely not). However, Iran does have a right (recognized by the United States) to peaceful nuclear power, and we should deny this to Iran just because we don't like their government. We're really in no position to decide which states should and should not be allowed to have peaceful technologies.

As an aside, I find it ironic that the people who are so gungho about nuclear power in the United States are some of the strongest opponents of letting Iran develop this power for its own citizens.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »

What we really need is some nice secret mission inside Iran to destroy their nuclear program. Sneak in, plant explosives, get out, then boom. They wouldn't be able to prove anything and wouldn't dare do anything about it or they'll be annihilated.

Yay, state-sponsored terrorism!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies