Why should Iran not have nuclear power? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why should Iran not have nuclear power? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why should Iran not have nuclear power?  (Read 4533 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: February 28, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

Why does the US oppose Iran having nuclear power - or for that matter, nuclear weapons? Belief that they will pass it on to Hezbollah or other Shiite terror groups? I'm skeptical. Such a thing would obviously be traced back to Iran and result in the obliteration of Iran. What the US should address is why Iran feels the need to have such things: insecurity of US attack. The best way to do that is pull out of Iraq as soon as possible and then pull out of Afghanistan.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »

Why does the US oppose Iran having nuclear power - or for that matter, nuclear weapons? Belief that they will pass it on to Hezbollah or other Shiite terror groups? I'm skeptical. Such a thing would obviously be traced back to Iran and result in the obliteration of Iran.
Which intelligence agency are you going to trust to tell you where a nuclear bomb came from post blast?  Mossad, CIA?  Would you trust them if they had intel pre-blast?

If Israel was nuked and the CIA said it was Hezbollah then people would believe it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »

Why does the US oppose Iran having nuclear power - or for that matter, nuclear weapons? Belief that they will pass it on to Hezbollah or other Shiite terror groups? I'm skeptical. Such a thing would obviously be traced back to Iran and result in the obliteration of Iran.
Which intelligence agency are you going to trust to tell you where a nuclear bomb came from post blast?  Mossad, CIA?  Would you trust them if they had intel pre-blast?

If Israel was nuked and the CIA said it was Hezbollah then people would believe it.
Well yeah, "people" will believe anything.  I asked if YOU would trust them or not.  If random terrorist dirty bomb goes off in Tel Aviv, Mossad says Hezzy did it and got the bomb from Iran.  How would you feel about Israel launching an attack against Iran?  How would you feel if they went nuclear with it?  How long before it becomes "disproportional"?

I've got a feeling that there are some here that would be against Israel retaliating because of a lack of proof.  And I'm not just talking about the the over the top Jew haters like Libertas.

In that case there would only be two real possibilities from the Israeli perspective, one is that they dirty bombed Tel Aviv themselves in order to have an excuse to go after Iran. I am skeptical about this because it is at odds with how Israel has behaved in the past. While they are certainly possibly the most fanatical nation on earth about protecting their citizens. The other more likely possibility is that they did not do it to themselves. In which case, they probably are genuine in their desire to find out who it is. Therefore if they say it's Hezbollah, there is a good chance that it is Hezbollah, and this could start a war.

The only pertinent point however, is that in such a case Iran knows it would face retaliation and they would not likely do such a thing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »

In that case there would only be two real possibilities from the Israeli perspective, one is that they dirty bombed Tel Aviv themselves in order to have an excuse to go after Iran. I am skeptical about this because it is at odds with how Israel has behaved in the past. While they are certainly possibly the most fanatical nation on earth about protecting their citizens. The other more likely possibility is that they did not do it to themselves. In which case, they probably are genuine in their desire to find out who it is. Therefore if they say it's Hezbollah, there is a good chance that it is Hezbollah, and this could start a war.

The only pertinent point however, is that in such a case Iran knows it would face retaliation and they would not likely do such a thing.
Well they (Iran) could just deny it.  That would be a good enough excuse for 90% of the people that are "anti-Zionists" today to say Israel made it up.  That's about half of Europe and maybe a third of the US.  There would be many people in the West that would be against Israel retaliating.

And this scenerio, because of the easy potential excuses Iran can come up with, is much more likely than Iran putting warheads on rockets and firing them at Isreal.....for numerous reasons.

There are always many people in the West against Israel retaliating. If they had any power, Rachel Corrie would still be alive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies