If you were Hughes's campaign manager in 1916, what would you have done ........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If you were Hughes's campaign manager in 1916, what would you have done ........
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were Hughes's campaign manager in 1916, what would you have done ........  (Read 926 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »
« edited: February 27, 2010, 03:56:25 PM by The Time Traveler »

differently?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »

Have him not snub Hiram Johnson.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »

Anything else? You know Hughes won MN by several hundred votes, so if Hughes would have won CA but lost several hundred votes in MN, he would have still lost.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:06:39 PM »

That was an accident that Hughes claimed to know nothing about.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 04:09:04 PM »

Other than not snubbing Hiram Johnson, I would have Teddy Roosevelt and Taft campaign with Hughes to show Progressive/moderate and conservative voters at the same time that I was being supportive of their interests. That should energize both wings of the GOP and might allow Hughes to pull off a narrow win.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »

Other than not snubbing Hiram Johnson, I would have Teddy Roosevelt and Taft campaign with Hughes to show Progressive/moderate and conservative voters at the same time that I was being supportive of their interests. That should energize both wings of the GOP and might allow Hughes to pull off a narrow win.

Well, TR did campaign quite heavily for Hughes. However, he was a mixed blessing in the sense that he advocated war.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »

Well, TR did campaign quite heavily for Hughes. However, he was a mixed blessing in the sense that he advocated war.

I would still have Taft campaign with Hughes as well, since Taft was much more popular among conservatives than TR (despite the fact taht they had the same policies). Also, I would tell TR to shut up about getting into WWI immediately and adopt Hughes's platform of becoming more prepared for WWI but being opposed to getting into the war at this moment.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »

I would still have Taft campaign with Hughes as well, since Taft was much more popular among conservatives than TR (despite the fact taht they had the same policies). Also, I would tell TR to shut up about getting into WWI immediately and adopt Hughes's platform of becoming more prepared for WWI but being opposed to getting into the war at this moment.

Tell THEODORE ROOSEVELT to shut up? Ha, impossible. I do remember reading that Taft had organized the LEP to help Hughes, however he refrained from making public speeches.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »

Tell THEODORE ROOSEVELT to shut up? Ha, impossible. I do remember reading that Taft had organized the LEP to help Hughes, however he refrained from making public speeches.

I'd tell TR that Wilson would get reelected if he didn't remain quiet about entering WWI before the election. That might have shut him up. I know TR was extremely critical of Wilson. Also, as previously mentioned, I would make sure Taft delivered many public speeches on Hughes's behalf, to energize the conservative vote for Hughes. I think amny conservatives might have been upset that Hughes campaigned with TR but not with Taft, and thus might have decided to sit this election out or even vote for Wilson.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »

I'd tell TR that Wilson would get reelected if he didn't remain quiet about entering WWI before the election. That might have shut him up. I know TR was extremely critical of Wilson. Also, as previously mentioned, I would make sure Taft delivered many public speeches on Hughes's behalf, to energize the conservative vote for Hughes. I think amny conservatives might have been upset that Hughes campaigned with TR but not with Taft, and thus might have decided to sit this election out or even vote for Wilson.

Perhaps. The election certainly is an odd one, of course.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »

Perhaps. The election certainly is an odd one, of course.

I'm just curious: what do you specifically mean by odd?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies