British Elections 1918-1945 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:26:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Elections 1918-1945 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: British Elections 1918-1945  (Read 59640 times)
freefair
United Kingdom

« on: January 18, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »

Here's a shaded map for 1935 - the map comes from an Alternate History forum but is obviously based on the Boothroyd drawing. I've removed most of the urban insets but have kept London, which has so many tiny seats that it can't be illustrated very well on the larger map.

Apart from the SNP, Plaid,and the decline of Orangery in Liverpool and Glasgow, that 1935 map has not changed at all in 80 years. If the Tories won a landslide 420 seats tomorrow, that's what it'd look like. Compared with all the re-alignments in other nations, that's quite something.
freefair
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:10:50 AM »

The Tories won every seat in Birmingham in 1935; that wouldn't happen in a comparable scale landslide today. 
Good grief, I hadn't even noticed, that, even though I knew the Midlands urban area as a whole was very historically Conservative. Wow. Surely that had something to do with Neville, Joseph & Austin Chamberlain, or Stanley Baldwin being relatively local?
Another striking feature for me is that the then very industrialsed, mining based constituency corresponding to modern day uber-bourgoise South Staffordshire is slightly Labour during this Tory landslide, when since 1970 it has been, no word of a lie, one of the Conservatives 10 safest seats (they got 51% in 1997 and 57% in 2010)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies