British Elections 1918-1945 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:14:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Elections 1918-1945 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: British Elections 1918-1945  (Read 59622 times)
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« on: January 23, 2014, 06:26:26 AM »

Almost every detail has changed, but the basic pattern is much the same. 1935 is a much underrated election.
Big Labour majorities in Harrow East/West & Brent North! Unthinkable even twenty years before.

Is a lot of that not due to demographic change in that part of north-west London and the Tories not being particularly attractive to South Asian voters?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:30:21 AM »

The Tories won every seat in Birmingham in 1935; that wouldn't happen in a comparable scale landslide today. 
Good grief, I hadn't even noticed, that, even though I knew the Midlands urban area as a whole was very historically Conservative. Wow. Surely that had something to do with Neville, Joseph & Austin Chamberlain, or Stanley Baldwin being relatively local?
Another striking feature for me is that the then very industrialsed, mining based constituency corresponding to modern day uber-bourgoise South Staffordshire is slightly Labour during this Tory landslide, when since 1970 it has been, no word of a lie, one of the Conservatives 10 safest seats (they got 51% in 1997 and 57% in 2010)

That's Cannock, and presumably the Labour vote came from there rather than from what is now South Staffordshire.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies