British Elections 1918-1945 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:59:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Elections 1918-1945 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: British Elections 1918-1945  (Read 59220 times)
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

« on: February 24, 2010, 06:53:26 PM »

Thanks for that Al.

1. ... A Coalition Liberal was unopposed in Wrekin in 1918.

2. Said Coalition Liberal died and his seat was won by a Bottomley-backed Independent in 1920. Said Independent then died and his seat was won by another Bottomley backed Independent, who then joined the Tories and didn't run for re-election. No Tory candidates ran in those by-elections.

Is this Horatio Bottomley, the patriotic fraudster?

Wrekin: covered the centre-east of the county. Unlike the rest of Shropshire this was pretty industrial, though still obviously rural. Important towns included Wellington (mostly middle class, probably quite Tory), Oakengates (industrial, usually Labour) and the various old industrial communities around the Gorge (Broseley, Coalbrookdale, Ironbridge, Dawley, etc. Again, usually Labour). Also plenty of market towns like Much Wenlock, Newport and Shifnal; these would have been Tory.

This period was long before Telford was built of course.
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »

Excellent stuff Al, an area about which I know much more now than I did at the start of this week.

Nottingham Central: a very diverse urban constituency that covered (you may be surprised to learn) the centre of Nottingham. It contained an uneasy mixture of slums (including, I think, St Annes. Yeah, St Annes was always thus) and middle class residential districts, including the Park Estate (Nottingham's answer to Edgbaston). It was, in other words, exactly the sort of place that Labour never had a prayer in in the inter-war years but ended up gainly quite easily in 1945.

Nottingham East: not as diverse as Central and characterised by middle class residential areas like Mapperley, though it was not entirely without working class voters. The pre-1918 version of the constituency included St Annes; I don’t think this version did, but the maps I worked off were less than entirely clear. A key Liberal/Tory swing seat throughout the 1920s, the un-noticed remoulding of certain significant parts of the electorate caused Labour moved into second place in 1935. Still, the result in 1945 must have come as a shock to everyone.

Nottingham South: basically a working class urban constituency with some more middle class areas here and there. It included The Meadows and probably most of Lenton; because the maps I was working off were less than entirely reliable, it may have included part of St Annes as well, but I don't think so (this is the sort of thing that I'd like to check at some point. Sorry to keep on whining about that).

FWIW the Nottingham seats included the following wards in 1918:

NOTTINGHAM CENTRAL: The Forest, Market, Robin Hood, St Ann's and Sherwood wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

NOTTINGHAM EAST: The Byron, Manvers, Mapperley and St Mary's wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

NOTTINGHAM SOUTH: The Bridge, Castle, Meadows and Trent wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

NOTTINGHAM WEST: The Broxtowe, St Albans and Wollaton wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

http://www.archive.org/stream/representationof00frasrich#page/448/mode/2up

Of course, you then have to have a ward map for that period to answer your question Smiley
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »

By the 1920s none of the Chamberlain's were really part of the machine; they'd abdicated in favour of a bunch of Edgbaston lawyers, though did remain its ceremonial head(s). This might be slightly unfair, but I think Austen basically turned up in the city at election time (whether he was needed or not) and drove around like some sort of seigneur, while other people did the actual work. Of course similar things were said about Roy Jenkins in the 60s!
Oh, I'm not disagreeing one iota re. Austen, but it might not be fair with regard to Neville, who of course followed in his old man's footsteps by being three times Mayor. Austen though cleared out of Highbury as soon as he could and took up residence at the unhappily-named Twitt's Ghyll (in deepest Sussex, not far from Uckfield). I don't know where Neville would have been listed on the ballot paper as living, but I think he would have had more pull and more interaction with Brum than Austen.

Helpfully I have a copy of the 1939 (and probably final) edition of the Constitutional Yearbook, which has profiles of all the MPs in 1939 complete with home addresses.  Unhelpfully this is the 1939 edition and therefore gives Neville's address as "10, Downing Street, S.W.1."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies