British Elections 1918-1945
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:33:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Elections 1918-1945
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: British Elections 1918-1945  (Read 59216 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »

Whereabouts in the city were(/are?) the Raleigh works?

Lenton.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »

Can I request the southern West Riding?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »

Do you mean current South Yorkshire (roughly) or everything south of the Wharfe or so?

(but yes, of course)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 11:50:35 AM »

Do you mean current South Yorkshire (roughly) or everything south of the Wharfe or so?

(but yes, of course)

The former, essentially, maybe north to about the Calder.  But I'm not going to complain if you do the latter!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2011, 12:06:05 PM by Sibboleth »

(but yes, of course)

The former, essentially, maybe north to about the Calder.  But I'm not going to complain if you do the latter!

What I might do - though I'll have to check the maps I'd be working off - would be to draw an outline map for all of the West Riding south of the Wharfe and split it up when posting. I suppose I should look after my sanity occasionally.
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »

Excellent stuff Al, an area about which I know much more now than I did at the start of this week.

Nottingham Central: a very diverse urban constituency that covered (you may be surprised to learn) the centre of Nottingham. It contained an uneasy mixture of slums (including, I think, St Annes. Yeah, St Annes was always thus) and middle class residential districts, including the Park Estate (Nottingham's answer to Edgbaston). It was, in other words, exactly the sort of place that Labour never had a prayer in in the inter-war years but ended up gainly quite easily in 1945.

Nottingham East: not as diverse as Central and characterised by middle class residential areas like Mapperley, though it was not entirely without working class voters. The pre-1918 version of the constituency included St Annes; I don’t think this version did, but the maps I worked off were less than entirely clear. A key Liberal/Tory swing seat throughout the 1920s, the un-noticed remoulding of certain significant parts of the electorate caused Labour moved into second place in 1935. Still, the result in 1945 must have come as a shock to everyone.

Nottingham South: basically a working class urban constituency with some more middle class areas here and there. It included The Meadows and probably most of Lenton; because the maps I was working off were less than entirely reliable, it may have included part of St Annes as well, but I don't think so (this is the sort of thing that I'd like to check at some point. Sorry to keep on whining about that).

FWIW the Nottingham seats included the following wards in 1918:

NOTTINGHAM CENTRAL: The Forest, Market, Robin Hood, St Ann's and Sherwood wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

NOTTINGHAM EAST: The Byron, Manvers, Mapperley and St Mary's wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

NOTTINGHAM SOUTH: The Bridge, Castle, Meadows and Trent wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

NOTTINGHAM WEST: The Broxtowe, St Albans and Wollaton wards of the county borough of Nottingham.

http://www.archive.org/stream/representationof00frasrich#page/448/mode/2up

Of course, you then have to have a ward map for that period to answer your question Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »

There is that drawback, yeah. But at least I can know for sure which areas were included within borough constituencies, which is better for descriptions, so thanks for the link Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2011, 04:11:01 AM »

(but yes, of course)

What I might do - though I'll have to check the maps I'd be working off - would be to draw an outline map for all of the West Riding south of the Wharfe and split it up when posting.
If you're going to do that, why not make the outline map the entire West Riding?

Since I actually thought of demanding that next! Cheesy (Derbyshire was the other place I thought of.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »

Bump!

Actually nothing to show for the present. But something that will lead to other things is about two-thirds done or so.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2012, 05:08:51 AM »

Rereading Notts just now, and I need to state my amazement at the age of the "Rushcliffe" and "Broxtowe" names - especially as that version of Broxtowe is a direct predecessor to the modern Ashfield, not the modern Broxtowe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »

They're the names of Wapentakes, as is Bassetlaw. And, actually, Newark.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »

Can I see a UK map of 1945 with inserts?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »

You can see that when my team wins the Premiership. I support Sunderland.

...actually... well... maybe you'll see it sooner. But quite a few steps away for now, even if the general direction of travel is very positive.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2012, 11:00:24 AM »

Bookmarked for use in the summer of of 2014.
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

Al, you may have seen my Leicestershire map in the other place; if it can help you finish a 1945 map off, feel free to use it - or indeed as I have too few posts here to upload images, if you want to post it here and do the seat descriptions, feel free.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »

I did see it, and here it is:

Nice work.

I don't have a copy of Craig 1918-49 on hand at the moment, so can't really add much, but people should note that the (very heavily) defeated Labour candidate in Leicester West in 1918 was Ramsay MacDonald, an incumbent for the old two-member Leicester division and at the time a hate figure because of his opposition to the recently ended war. The National Labour member elected for the same seat in 1935 was Harold Nicolson, while the successful Labour candidate in 1945 was Barnett Janner, previously a Liberal MP in the East End and an important figure in the Jewish community (he was President of the Board of Deputies in the 50s and 60s) who represented the area until 1970 when he was succeeded by his son.
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »

Thanks for putting that up.

As soon as I get home in the New Year and dig out my copy of the 1945 boundary changes, I'll get Warwickshire done. Including solidly Tory Unionist Brummagem -(until the 1945 deluge).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:57 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2013, 10:50:27 AM by Comrade Sibboleth »

Think of this as some sort of New Year present or other.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2013, 07:33:35 AM »

What's with the unlabelled constituency east of Pollok?
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »

The unlabelled constituency is the Cathcart division of Glasgow.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »

That's so; error corrected.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »

Well now that's pretty Smiley
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:12 PM »

Thanks for putting that up.

As soon as I get home in the New Year and dig out my copy of the 1945 boundary changes, I'll get Warwickshire done. Including solidly Tory Unionist Brummagem -(until the 1945 deluge).

Unfortunately I don’t have enough posts on here to put either images or links up, but if anyone is interested in this particular thread, in addition to Leicestershire which Al has kindly posted I have put maps of the inter-war elections for Warwickshire (inc. Birmingham), Worcestershire, Wiltshire, Sheffield, and Manchester and Salford on the Pretty Maps thread of the Vote-2012 Proboards forum. What I haven’t done is run down the electoral history or demographic make-up of each seat – a task for someone else, I think.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »

I'm looking forward to you clocking up another 8 posts or so and posting links and images!
stepney
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »

I'm looking forward to you clocking up another 8 posts or so and posting links and images!
It does seem a rather odd rule, does it not? I'll try to get round to it as soon as I can.

(BTW this is rather obviously a gratuitous post just to count towards my 20, while trying not to be completely off topic. I wonder if there's a special thread one can work out the 20 posts on?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies