The National Atlasian: Keeping You Informed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:11:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The National Atlasian: Keeping You Informed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Author Topic: The National Atlasian: Keeping You Informed  (Read 26660 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2004, 05:45:55 PM »

National Atlasian Senate Report
By Senator Bono, Senior Staff Writer

Nyman, D. C.
The senate is teeming with legislative activity. Currently there are three different Senate powers amendment propositions , which is expected to put an end to the constitutional crisis that has befallen Atlasia. Governor Ernest's version has been causing some polemics, due to clause 27 section One, which gives the senate the power to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, thus making every citizen in the country at mercy of the federal government, who would just be able to declare a national emergency any time convenient, since the words of restraint put there probably will have as much value as "shall make no law", if not now, probably in the future.

Meanwhile Secretary of Defence John Ford called for discussion on the matter of purchasing the F-22, but attorney General Peter Bell warned that the system in use for allowing members of the 3rd congress to vote violated "the principles of a democracy." It is expected that a new vote on the matter will shall be called, this time with the members of the 4th congress. I salute the AG for being a beacon to guide the sometimes a little too enthusiastic senators in the tricky process of law-making.

Also, one of the most bureaucratic bills ever to be introduced in our legislative body, The Federal Unionisation and Competitive Contracting Bill, sponsored by Senator Nym, giving, in theory, the power for corrupt union bosses to make bids for the provision of 'public' services, bids that will be analysed by, that's right, unionised federal employees, before they make it to the committee, which will probably be so drowned in red tape that it will take any recommendations made by the lower, more idle bureaucrats. This bill of catastrophic proportions is sadly being warmly received by the senators.
Hermit
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2004, 07:03:30 PM »

Excellent election coverage.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2004, 07:19:10 PM »

Thank you. Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2004, 08:50:38 PM »

I owe it all to my good associate Mr. King.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

MAS Wins!
MAS elected Governor in Close Race
With the support of the UAC and many Democrats MAS 117 has won the race for Northeastern Governor in a close race with the National Atlasian's ColinW and UL candidate Blerpiez. The Final Results for the election showed that MAS recieved about 45%, ColinW around 34% and Blerpiez recieving the rest. In vote totals MAS recieved 8, ColinW 6, and Blerpiez 4. MAS was able to win through his massive support from Democrats and his appealing to those left of center in the Region. We wish MAS the best of luck in this new position.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2004, 03:46:26 PM »

Chris Supersoulty Returns to Politics
Officially Announces his Senate Candidacy
Chris Supersoulty, a name easily recognizable from the early days of Atlasia and the Republican Party, has returned to politics after a long retirement. He has announced the formation of his "Atlasian Freedom Party" which he says is based off the four principals of freedom according to American President Franklin Delano Rooseavelt. Mr. Supersoulty also announced his candidacy in the upcoming midterm Senate Race against IrishDem which was immediately supported by Vice President Keystone Phil and will probably be endorsed by the AFRNC. Mr. Supersoulty is considered to be the strongest Republican candidate out their and was supported above current Republican candidate ColinW. While the National Atlasian considers Mr. Supersoulty's "suprise candidacy" somewhat suspect we consider his candidacy to mean a great challenge to IrishDem in the midterms.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2004, 03:09:54 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2004, 03:58:40 PM by Senator Bono »

-

Deleted on the request of the editorial board.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2004, 03:25:55 PM »

Senator Irish Democrat needs a medical check

They need to be checked, for a huge bunch of autists may actually be governing us.

Disgusting, Bono. I'm no fan of IrishDem but your comments went alittle too far. And calling Super the Arlen Specter of Atlasia is hysterical, too, especially since he was a big Toomey supporter.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2004, 03:46:27 PM »

They need to be checked, for a huge bunch of autists may actually be governing us.

Disgusting, Bono. I'm no fan of IrishDem but your comments went alittle too far. And calling Super the Arlen Specter of Atlasia is hysterical, too, especially since he was a big Toomey supporter.

I echo the sentiments of KeystonePhil, insulting your fellow Senators is undignified.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2004, 03:55:03 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Hyperbole

A hyperbole, largely synonymous with exaggeration and overstatement, is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated or extravagant. It implies strong feelings or is used to create a strong impression and is not meant to be taken literally.

Examples:

* "He is as big as a house!"
    * "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!"
    * "That's the worst idea in the world."

The opposite is an understatement, e.g. "Hitler was not a nice person."

In show business, hyperbole (known as hype or media hype) is the practice of spending money on public relations in an attempt to bolster public interest in (for example) a movie, television show, or performing artist. Often the entertainment value of the thing being hyped is exaggerated.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2004, 03:56:20 PM »

Mr. Bono,
I ask you that if you every want to publish something in the National Atlasian you only do it with my approval. You never told me that you were going to publish these articles or that you were even writing another piece for me. Your comments were over the top Senator and I ask you to please either change what you have said or to delete it. Please keep any comments that you write for the National Atlasian civil and respectful. Thank you.
Colin Wixted
Editor-in-Chief
National Atlasian
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2004, 04:14:05 PM »

Hyperbole

A hyperbole, largely synonymous with exaggeration and overstatement, is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated or extravagant. It implies strong feelings or is used to create a strong impression and is not meant to be taken literally.

Examples:

In show business, hyperbole (known as hype or media hype) is the practice of spending money on public relations in an attempt to bolster public interest in (for example) a movie, television show, or performing artist. Often the entertainment value of the thing being hyped is exaggerated.

I am aware of what hyperbole means, I use it frequently, I am a public speaker, however, it is more than hyperbole to insinuate that your co-workers in the Senate are mentally disabled.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2004, 04:28:02 PM »

Hyperbole

Examples:

I am aware of what hyperbole means, I use it frequently, I am a public speaker, however, it is more than hyperbole to insinuate that your co-workers in the Senate are mentally disabled.

Autism is a condition where one is more or less disconected with the outside world. I thought this expressed my idea beter than any other word. It was just used to implicate a condition of mind. Or maybe I'm just too familiar with the way politics are done in latin countries.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2004, 10:05:51 AM »

Redistricting Finally Over
Change in All the Districts
Governors, yesterday, finally decided, in a 4 to 1 vote, to adopt Redistricting Plan K after several Governors changed their vote to get a plan running within enough time for the election. The main features of this plan are that New York and Pennsylvania are in a single district while the northeast and New Jersey are part of District 2. District 3 has come to include Virginia and West Virginia meaning that Al will run against Senator Texasgurl. This race will be the only one during the Midterms where a centrist or right-wing candidate will be present. District 4 will now include everything from Tennesee south and will also include New Mexico, while District 5 will be the same except for the loss of New Mexico and the addition of Iowa. This new redistricting creates one tossup district, 2 strong UAC/AFRNC districts and two solid Democrat/UL districts. Will we have to see how long this plan stays constitutional. 
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2004, 10:19:05 AM »

New Poll Numbers Arrive
Show Some Suprises though Accuracy May Be Flawed
In a recent poll done by GabuCorpPolling Supersoulty, Senator Siege 40, and Gabu have leads in their respective races. Their are many suprises though in this recent batch of poll numbers. In District 4 the polls show Harry and Hermit tied for the Senate, which this writer finds very odd, and in District 5 the poll shows that Gabu has a commanding lead over StevenNick. These two results seem very odd. First off every person has said that District 5 leans StevenNick since the AFRNC/UAC hold a tight grip on Western Politics and have a very large numerical advatage over the other political parties. This set of poll number, brought out by StevenNick's opponent Gabu no less, shows Mr. Gabu with 60% of the vote, a commanding lead. Now this could show either that politics in the West are now seriously changed or that the results are not accurate. Gabu says himself, "As there is no way to certify the veracity of these results, they are presented simply "as is" for your information to make from them as you like." So their is plenty to dispute. The other suprise is that Harry and Hermit are completely tied in District 4. Many were predicting that Hermit would take the District easily but this may depend on who StatesRights endorses so I would not rule out this race. In District 2 it appears that Badnarikin04 is on the way to another defeat at the hands of Senator Siege and in District 3 Al and Texasgurl are tied. In one of the biggest Senate races this season former VP Supersoulty is leading over his opponent incumbent Democrat IrishDem in a 53 to 47 race. This is probably the easiest chance for the Republicans to pick up a seat and it appears as though they have taken the early lead.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2004, 10:26:55 AM »

DanielX Drops out of Race
Decide to Run For Governor in January

Earlier today Senate hopeful DanielX dropped out of the District 2 Senate race. He has given no reason for dropping out but has said that he will not publicly endorse any candidate. Privately DanielX has said that he will not endorse Badnarikin04, whose Foreign Policy he disagrees with, or Phillip, who is widely considered to be crazy. With DanielX out of the race that leaves only two candidates on the right and from early polls that have been released today Phillip in only getting about 8% of the vote to Badnarikin04's 23% and Siege's 62%. It seems that Siege will win another election in District 2 with an almost record percentage in a race where their were other candidates endorsed by established parties. Four more months of Senator Siege seem inevitable.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2004, 11:24:15 AM »

Earlier today Senate hopeful DanielX dropped out of the District 2 Senate race. He has given no reason for dropping out but has said that he will not publicly endorse any candidate. Privately DanielX has said that he will not endorse Badnarikin04, whose Foreign Policy he disagrees with, or Phillip, who is widely considered to be crazy. With DanielX out of the race that leaves only two candidates on the right and from early polls that have been released today Phillip in only getting about 8% of the vote to Badnarikin04's 23% and Siege's 62%. It seems that Siege will win another election in District 2 with an almost record percentage in a race where their were other candidates endorsed by established parties. Four more months of Senator Siege seem inevitable.

'Four more months of Senator Siege seem inevitable.' Nice line. Haven't seen this poll yet, but we'll see. It almost sounds as if another term as Senator would be against the interest of the Editor. Perhaps you should move and run Colin.

Siege
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2004, 05:12:25 PM »

Thanks for defending me Keystone.  I'm wondering if Bono has problems of his own.  He seems to love singling us out for some reason. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2004, 05:17:28 PM »

'Four more months of Senator Siege seem inevitable.' Nice line. Haven't seen this poll yet, but we'll see. It almost sounds as if another term as Senator would be against the interest of the Editor. Perhaps you should move and run Colin.

Siege

The poll he's referring to can be found here.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2004, 08:43:38 PM »

Siege
No I don't think it would be against the intrests of this Editor. Your a good man Siege. Do I wish that a right-winger held that seat, yes I do, but I applaud you on your moderation while working as Governor and, hopefully, now as Senator. While I hope that Badnarikin04 wins this race I know their are many people worse than you Siege.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2004, 09:00:51 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2004, 12:27:51 PM by ColinW »

National Atlasian Midterm Election Endorsements

The Editorial Staff of the National Atlasian is endorcing these people in their election to office:

District 1:
Supersoulty (AFP-PA)

District 2:
Badnarikin04 (L-NH)

District 3:
Not Officially Endorsing Any Candidate

District 4:
Hermit (U-TX)

District 5:
StevenNick (R-WA)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2004, 12:27:04 PM »

President PBrunsel Gives First State of the Atlas Address
Presidents Plan Receives Standing Ovations; Criticism for Some

President PBrunsel gave the first ever State of the Atlas speech yesterday night in what many thought to be an eloquent and well thought out speech. In it Mr. PBrunsel set out his agenda for the coming months that includes tax cuts, deficit reduction and a Balanced Budget Amendment all of which were hailed by fiscal conservatives as much needed acts although many have doubted the Presidents ability on passing these pieces of legislation especially after they were criticized by Senator IrishDem, Head of the AFDNC Akno21 and AFL-CIO General Secretary and Senate hopeful Al. The President’s only hope of passing this legislation would be if the right picks up seats during this midterm election which is very likely. The President’s speech also focused on recent foreign issues including the denunciation of America by new Chairman Hu Jintao of the People’s Republic of China and the current fighting in Fallujah. The President also had this to say concerning rogue nations, “The balance of peace in the Earth continues to sway both ways. Mad dictators still attempt to wage war on peaceful neighbors and terrorist mad men still attack the innocent. Our international War on Terror must continue as we nearer the final victory over terrorism. If we hold our resolve during this war then future generations will thank us for the great freedoms that they enjoy. We have no excuse for defeatism in this war. We must be the great beacon of freedom for the world, for us this War on Terrorism can mean the difference between living under the rights of our constitution or being slaves to terror.” We can expect President PBrunsel to continue his strong interventionalist foreign policy and continue to use American force in a way that he has demonstrated with his current China policy.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2004, 12:40:55 PM »

State of the Atlas Address
Full Text of the Speech

Mr. Vice President, Mr. President Pro Tempe, distinguished Senators, honored guests, and my fellow Atlasians today is a monumental day. This address will be the first State of the Atlas address in our history. It is a great honor to address the entire Senate today, both majority and minority coalitions and members of all parties. This type of unity should be kept and remembered not just in election times, but throughout the year. As Midterm Elections approach let us not tear down each other in partisan division, but build up our unity and strength for the tests that lie ahead.

Within the next few weeks I will begin my economic policy. These involve 3 basic plans:

1. Cut taxes and reject all tax hikes, whether they be income or property tax hikes, my administration will resists them.

2. Introduce deficit reduction to the Senate in the form of a Deficit Reduction Act. Deficits are a burden not just for today, but for the future. Deficits have risen to astronomical heights, and they must be reduced. Whatever spending cuts need be we must cut our deficits  today to ensure a freedom from them tomorrow.

3. My third point is the most ambitious of my plans, the introduction of a Balanced Budget Amendment. President Harry S Truman once stated, “A strong nation begins with a balanced budget.” A Balanced Budget Amendment will finally give our nation independence from the red ink as in 1776 we won our independence from the red coats.

These are my economic points, I call them “The Big Three” and putting them into effect will prove to create economic prosperity that will last for years to come.

The leadership of Attorney General Peter Bell has helped settle the storm of a Constitutional Crisis when I took office. He has been able to reshape our Constitution so that it respects the rights of the regions but also keeps the federal government in check. The Miscellany Act hopefully will end all final questions about redistricting, starting political parties, and the several other issues it addresses. The redistricting is successfully finished, now we must continue to new business.

The nation of China has become far to belligerent. It openly insults us and then says, “What are you going to do about it?” The Chinese have not issued a declaration of war, but they have declared to all of Asia and the rest of the World that we are imperialistic and heartless barbarians who ravage nations. China is one to talk. They must live up to the fact that the government tortures their own people and forcibly quiets all dissidents. The Chinese have a history soaked in blood and a government built from the skulls of those who yearn to be free. China’s Marxist state must be told that they can not insult Atlasia and get away with it. Secretary of Defense Ford has moved air craft carriers around mainland China in the Pacific Ocean, but we have not ordered any type of attack. To bomb the Chinese would be a declaration of a nuclear war, and no one is for that. I will urge the Senate to pass a resolution denouncing the Chinese Government for their statements last week. China shall be free, but only their people can free themselves. I would like to see all Marxism and Leninism , as Ronald Reagan said, “On the ash heap of history.” We can not do that now, but I will not let China get away with insulting us.

The struggle continues in the Middle East. Iraq and Syria are unstable now, and as fighting intensifies in Fallujah we sometimes feel we are in a quagmire. Secretary of Defense Ford assures me that we are winning the battle in Iraq and Secretary of State Liberty will be off to a summit on the future of peace in the Middle East in a matter of a few weeks. Peace can be established in the Middle East, and I feel the great majority of those in the Middle East want to see themselves and their children living in peace as we here live in peace. As a great superpower we can not let a vocal minority take away the freedom and security of the majority. Peace can exist in the Middle East, and peace shall come there.

The balance of peace in the Earth continues to sway both ways. Mad dictators still attempt to wage war on peaceful neighbors and terrorist mad men still attack the innocent. Our international War on Terror must continue as we nearer the final victory over terrorism. If we hold our resolve during this war then future generations will thank us for the great freedoms that they enjoy. We have no excuse for defeatism in this war. We must be the great beacon of freedom for the world, for us this War on Terrorism can mean the difference between living under the rights of our constitution or being slaves to terror. The world will never be enslaved by mad and barbaric terrorists if we have the guts to defend freedom. We must keep freedom alive upon the earth.

Distinguished Senators, my administrations plan for the domestic and foreign scene. My administrations programs are simple and I feel will help the nation and the world.
May God Bless you all and May God Bless Atlasia.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2004, 12:41:49 PM »

Phillip Drops Out of Senate Race; Endorses Badnarikin04
Badnarikin04 Only Remaining Right Wing Candidate

Phillip dropped out of the D2 Senate race on Saturday saying, “Beating Siege looks like it's going to be difficult enough without splitting the vote in two, so I'm dropping out and endorsing badnarikin04 for Senate” While the prospects of Mr. Phillip splitting the right wing vote in two it is another good sign for Mr. Badnarikin04. While polls still show Siege with a commanding leading even with Phillip is out of the picture this is another piece of good news for the Libertarian Candidate. This is the second time Mr. Badnarikin04 has ran against Senator Siege for the Senate, the first time was during the recall election of Migrendal where Mr. Badnarikin04 got about 33% of the vote. Recent polls seem to suggest that Mr. Badnarikin04 will receive about that many this time even though he has garnered the support of the AFRNC and other leading endorsements, including this newspapers. This writer encourages everyone to get out and vote in the Midterm elections.   
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2004, 01:16:43 PM »

Just a small correction: Akno21 is Vice-Chair of the AFDNC; Fritz is Chair of the AFDNC.  Akno21 is only head of the AFDNC when Fritz is away or otherwise unable to perform his duties.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies